Bagpuss

Sorry for not being around...

Thanks again all >:D<<'>

We are trying not to do anything rash.....hard as that is. We've decided to wait to hear what this head LEA peep has to say with regards to their decision. Possibly go and view the school they are proposing. I don't want to view it, but I suppose it might help us in the long run if we know exactly what the school can/can't offer. We'll wait for draft statement, and read through it carefully. Talk to DD's teacher and also the EP. Gather as much info as we can. I suppose we want answers and solutions now, but it's all going to take time, and that's something we are going to have to accept.

Simon, I'll probably contact IPSEA once I've got all the full facts from the above. Thanks for the suggestion...hadn't thought about them :thumbs:

We are trying to keep an open mind at the mo, and examine all the possibilities that are open to us, which is why I wanted to learn a little more about HE, as I don't want to discount that as a possibility either.

Need to try and stay calm and focused, which I'm sure I will be once the shock has worn off.

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> Baggy - I've missed all this, sorry. I can understand your shock and upset - it sounds absolutely ridiculous! Like you say I think it's best to go and see their suggested school as you need to be able to say exactly why it's not suitable for your daughter. Hope you're ok

love Elun xxxxx >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Baggy, >:D<<'>

something that I found out while I was looking at schools for my son, was that the LEA don't always send all a childs paperwork to a school, so a school might say, yes we can meet that child's needs with out getting a true, complete picture of that child, so if you visit the school you don't want your dd to go to, take any paper work which gives an accurate picture of your dd, show it to the school, and then persuade the school to say- put in writing to the LEA it can't meet your dd needs .It blocks the door, and the LEA will have to start listening.

s

XXX

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> Baggy I have just caught up on your lat few posts.I am sorry and frustrated for you.....I do not understand the logic.I cannot imagine it would even save much money if the LEA are proposing a school out of borough. :tearful::wallbash::wallbash:

Don't give up.

I think it may be worth visiting the proposed school...at least you will then be able to provide evidence to support the view that it is not appropriate.Karen.

then they decide upon a school no one has looked at, mentioned, proposed, or even suggested.... another mainstream primary.....and they think...ah yes, that's the one!

Not that's the one that will best meet this childs particular needs - that's the one that costs the least.

Cynical ol' soul that i am.

Go look around the school - write things down as you go around. See if they can meet her needs - if not...

Fight 'em hunni - you know what's best for her >:D<<'>

Thankyou, you lovely lot >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Still no call from LEA person in charge.....and I'm not surprised. I don't think talking to angry parents is high on their list of priorities :lol:

Will update you all as soon as we know more :)

The school should be contacting your daughters case officer advising that the placement is not working and hence needs reviewing.

If I was you I would also ring up the case officer and ask what you need to do next. I should think it will involve calling an urgent meeting putting the facts together for the LEA than proceeding.

Because Brain Gym is causing your daughter difficulty I think it would be wise for her only to do the exercises that do not hurt her. Than again does she need to do any of these exercise???

Lynne

OMG Guys, you are not going to believe this :o

We made a decision this morning, we would appeal the panel decision re DD's placement, and if we failed, we would HE.

We saw it as a win/win situation :thumbs:

So.....decided to get off our bums, and start making some phone calls.

First one to EP. We were led to believe he had sat on the LEA panel, and this had left us confused, as he'd agreed with us that DD needed special school placement. He told us today that he wasn't on the panel, and knew nothing of their decision. He was as surprised as us at the school they had chosen. He asked if he could check this was correct with LEA (that it was a definate, and not a maybe) and then he rang us back. They told him that yes, X school had been chosen. He said he will try to get them to ammend it, rather than us having to appeal, and agreed wholeheartedly that this school would not be suitable. We made it clear that if we were not able to secure DD a place at the special school, we would HE.

Then we rang DD's teacher, who had only returned today after being off sick. We told her the panel decision, and she said that she didn't feel it would be suitable, although it was an excellent school (she'd previously taught there), but agreed with us, that if DD can't cope in a class of 10 children, she would hardly manage in another mainstream primary, with bigger classes. She said she could sort of see why the LEA may have chosen this school, because it is geared up for kiddies with physical disabilities, with hydro pool etc, but DD would still struggle with the academic side of mainstream, as she is at the mo, despite being bright. We explained our decision to HE if we couldn't gain a special school place, and she said she felt that would be best option.

Then, a little later the phone went, and it was the Head LEA peep lady :o She apologised for taking so long to get back to us, but it had taken till now to "sort this mess out" :o She said she hadn't been at the panel meeting, but "her esteemed collegues had come up with a cunning plan" which she disagreed with. She said as soon as she heard panel decision, she questioned them as to why would she send DD to another mainstream school, and one out of district too :clap::clap::clap:

She has spoken to all involved, and also Head of special school, and he has reiterated that DD could have a place in September, and although she didn't have severe learning disabilities, she had so many other difficulties, that they could support her needs :thumbs:

She said that the Head of special school wanted all the up to date info on DD, as everything he had received had been out of date, and once he had read it all, he would officially give the OK. Then the special school would be named on ammended Statement, and it would probably take about 3 weeks, and we were not to worry.

So we are hopeful, although trying not to assume it's a done deal :D

Thankyou >:D<<'>

Feeling so positive about it all now. DH and I know, that HE can work for us if, for whatever reason, the special school option is not possible. Found all that we read about it to be so encouraging.

We've been discussing how to turn our playroom into a learning area for DD, and DH had plans to take her away on "field trips" in the caravan :lol::lol:

So, which ever way it goes, we will survive, and it will be ok :thumbs::thumbs:

That's brilliant news, Baggy, well done. :thumbs::notworthy::notworthy: Sounds like it's all going to come together and that lots of people are on your side. Best of luck with whichever way it goes. >:D<<'>

Oh, can I have brownies too please! :whistle:

~ Mel ~

oh sweetie just caught on to this thread........had presumed it was about going on holiday and coming back......cos of the title :wacko: .............so sorry I,m late............but still in time to read the happy ending at the bottom :groupwave: ..................so pleased for you all, best wishes and hugs suzex

Glad things are looking better!

It might be a good idea to keep a bit quiet about the Home Ed option. They might end up thinking that if they mess you about long enough, they won't have to worry about it at all.

I think you're wise to wait till everything is signed sealed and delivered, but so far...

great news!!! :thumbs:

But it goes to illustrate what a farce these decision making panels are, when people who hold the key information about a child aren't present to give an accurate picture. It would be amusing if it wasn't for the fact that they are playing with people's lives. :angry:

Well done for holding your nerve!

>:D<<'>

K x

Thankyou >:D<<'>

I'm not going to believe anything till I actually have it in my hands and signed in blood :lol:

Whose blood? :ph34r::ph34r:

K x

:blink: Cor Blimey Bagpuss I've just read this from start to finish.. feeling knackered now and I haven't even lived it like you :wacko:

What a nightmare to have to go through as if you don't have enough stress going on! Keeping everything crossed that its all signed, sealed and delivered at speed for you.

Cheers David....still waiting for the official confirmation......and the draft statement......although I'm surprised our postie is still delivering with the black hole by the gate :rolleyes:

Hi All,

Just wanted to update this thread alittle.

We've still not received youngest DD's ammended Statement, so in the early hours, as you do, I sent an email to the LEA.

Got a reply this morning. They said the Statement had been writtan up the day after the panel meeting in Feb, but they decided it would be best to wait for an official starting date for the special school before sending it to us. However, they now feel, after reading my email, that it would of been prudent to have sent it beforehand.

I said I was concerned that we were being given little time to review the Statement and that the transition period for DD was getting less and less. The annual review was in November, so it's been 5 months!

They LEA have said they are sending the ammended Statement today, and hope it meets with our approval. I'm wondering if the special school has now been named or not :unsure: and if so if a date has been sorted :unsure:

I'm pooh at things like this :rolleyes:

Will let you know and thanks again for all the wonderful support >:D<<'>

SHE GOT A PLACE!!!! :dance:

The Statement arrived this morning, stating she will transfer to the special school in September....We are chuffed to bits, but also feeling abit strange about it, think it's probably worries about the transition from one school to another, and how best to approach it.

Thanks again for all your fab support, it's meant so much to us >:D<<'> >:D<<'>