Bagpuss

Sorry for not being around...

Update

Have just come off phone from talking to DD's teacher.

She said that DD's statement is not being sent out on the 8th (DH had misunderstood), but that the panel meeting was on the 8th. So, we are just in time :thumbs: She has spoken to lots of different peeps, and the LEA rep, who was at Friday's meeting at school, and who will also be on the panel tomorrow, has said to fax over all details of our phone conversations, discussions, letters etc, and he will submit our changed choice of school at the meeting. She said she had been led to believe that a place may not be available at special school until September, but we had previously been advised of this by the HT at special school when we visited, so it comes as no surprise, and so long as she is allocated a place, then we would feel happier.

Please keep everything crossed for us and DD tomorrow :pray:

I asked her if she felt DD would be given a place at the special school, and she said she couldn't say whether she would or wouldn't, but she'd be surprised if she wasn't given a place. That she was clearly not happy at present and in her opinion, a special school would be able to meet her needs. She also said she is hoping to get in contact with the EP, who was also at the annual review and meeting at school at Friday. He too is in agreement that DD should attend special school, and he is also sitting on the panel tomorrow.

She also said that she had spoken to the HT about the tiredness DD is displaying. They have been out and got her a beanbag and comfy blanket, and are going to give her the option of playing in the playground at breaks and lunch, or resting on the beanbag, with blanket and a book. How lovely is that :D

I'm feeling nervous, but hopeful :)

Good luck!

I will be keeping my fingers crossed tomorrow!

How good is your relationship with your statementing officer? He/She may be an invaluable source of information about the hoops you will need to jump through for the panel to recommend a special school place, so it might be worth a quick phone call this afternoon. It certainly helped us!

Simon

Very best of luck, Baggy. It's lovely that the school are making changes to help your DD with her tiredness, hope that helps her feel better. Do you think going part-time for a while would be helpful until she gets her new placement, if she just did mornings and had more positive mornings as a result, it could be worth thinking about?

Take care. >:D<<'>

~ Mel ~

x

Good luck!

I will be keeping my fingers crossed tomorrow!

How good is your relationship with your statementing officer? He/She may be an invaluable source of information about the hoops you will need to jump through for the panel to recommend a special school place, so it might be worth a quick phone call this afternoon. It certainly helped us!

Simon

Simon,

I can't remember ever speaking to our statementing officer. Think we must of been fortunate, in that it has always been so straight forward previously, and there have been no issues with her Statement.

Thanks again all for the well wishes, really appreciate it >:D<<'>

How did you get on Baggy? Hope it all went well for you. >:D<<'>

Hi Looby,

DD's teacher told me that as soon as she hears the outcome of Friday's panel meeting she'll let me know. She's asked the LEA rep to let her know.....but warned me it wouldn't be on Friday. I'm assuming I'll hear over the next few days.

I was wondering if I could just ring the LEA up myself, and ask what school they had decided upon........would they tell me do you think? :unsure:

I was wondering if I could just ring the LEA up myself, and ask what school they had decided upon........would they tell me do you think? :unsure:

It's worth a try. You always get the odd jobsworth who won't tell you anything over the phone, but you might be lucky: no harm in asking.

K x

Phone them Baggy, you've only lost the cost of the call if they wont tell you or don't know the answer. It must be so hard for you sitting and waiting >:D<<'> go easy on yourself >:D<<'>

Well, I rang them this morning. Asked if I could be told decision over the phone, and if so, what was it. The lady I spoke to asked for DD's details and said she would go and find out, then came back and said someone would have to ring me back. Not sure if this is a good or bad sign, or neither :wacko: So I asked when someone would ring me back, and she said this morning......and yes, you've guessed it, no one has rang me back :rolleyes:

So, they have till 2, then I'm on the phone again........this time with stalker head on :lol:

Complete mayhem here at the mo, with both girlies off school poorly, and DH has been virtually bed ridden with a bad cold flu since Friday, so it's keeping my mind off things abit.

Bad news :tearful:

I've just rang LEA again, and finally managed to get put through to a lady who told me that the panel had decided X school would be best for DD. It's neither her present school or the special school.

It's a mainstream school, with additional support for children with physical disabilities.

She said the special school was rejected because they felt DD did not have a level of learning disability to warrant a place.

I questioned why the EP felt it was the best placement, her present teacher felt it was the best placement and the HT of the special school felt she "would not be out of place". She said the panel felt differently.

She said the Head of the LEA was planning to ring me to discuss it, but had been in and out of meetings all day.

I told her that we would reject any mainstream placement for DD, and that she was in a SN class with 10 other children at the mo, and her teacher said she was very unhappy and was not coping.

Beggars b*oody belief how they reach these decisions :wallbash::wallbash:

>:D<<'> Oh Baggy what a mess. Would it be worth going to see the other school first? it may be that they are more geared up to help DDs problems than the school shes in now? Other than that, don't know what to say apart from how sorry I am that this is so distressing for you. take care. >:D<<'>

Blimey, Bags I'm so sorry to hear this :crying: .

I just don't get how they can make decisions like that about a child they don't know and haven't even met, when those who do and have are saying very clearly what's best for her. Keep on fighting, hon, I know you'll get what's right for her in the end.

Thinking of you, sending hugs.

Karen

x

Beggars b*oody belief how they reach these decisions :wallbash::wallbash:

It certainly does baggy. >:D<<'>

You've got a wealth of evidence for an appeal if you can get them all to commit their comments to paper (if not already done so).

It's my belief that they make these decisions before they even look at the evidence.

Baggy, you can ask to see the papers which were sent to panel. I did that last year and the list of bullets which the LEA officer had presented to panel bore no relation at all to the truth.

You stick to your guns.

Flora X

oh baggy i think its awful,agree with what others are saying,stick to your guns and fight them all the way,you know whats best for your dd not them!! >:D<<'>

Baggy,

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

It's devastating when you've been led to expect a particular decision, and then you end up with something else. :(

Wait and see it all in writing, and then onward to the next stage of the battle. :fight:

We're all behind you.

K x

Thanks all.

DH and I are in shock tbh. I don't know who to turn to for advice......tried ringing DD's teacher, but she's off.

I've tried finding out as much info as I can about the school they are proposing, but not come up with alot. The school's website is under construction. I know it's a mainstream primary (which would entail DD moving again in 3 years) :wallbash: It's not even in the blooming borough we live :rolleyes: I really don't understand why they feel moving DD out of a SN class of 10 pupils, set within a mainstream primary, and moving her to another mainstream primary, in another borough, is going to be beneficial.

All the info I can find seems to show the school has a significant level of pupils with learning and physical disabilities. In the Ofsted report I read, it said 47 children with learning and physcial disabilities had been sourced in from other schools in surrounding area.

I just don't understand their logic, and am interested to hear their reasons when the Head peep rings.

Baggy ~ >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

I am so sorry to read this up date, so many "why's" and "how's" like others say stick to your guns and demand evidence.

Thinking of you Hun

Clare x x x

Baggy,

what everyone else has said, take care and gear up for the next round.

good luck

nic

Thanks again everyone.

We are still very upset and angry.

I just can't fathom out their thinking. How can a panel of people, sit down, and read that a child is really struggling in a SN class within a mainstream primary. That her parents feel a particular special school can meet her needs, the EP feels the same school can meet her needs, and her present teacher, who has taught her for two years, feels she can no longer cope within their school, and the same school can meet her needs, and the Head of the special school feel they can meet her needs.....................then they decide upon a school no one has looked at, mentioned, proposed, or even suggested.... another mainstream primary.....and they think...ah yes, that's the one!

:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

When the lady I spoke to today said the panel had felt our DD didn't a level of learning disability to warrant a place at the special school, I asked why the Head of the school felt she did and that a place could be made available for her in September.........she couldn't give me a straight answer. Why get an EP report if they are going to disregard it. Why get a teachers report if they are going to disregard. Why even bother asking what the parents feel is best for their child, if they disregard those views...........who exactly decides what is best for your child, because they have discounted all the views and opinions of everyone who knows her!

I've had enough.....my dd is crying for me at school, weary, weepy, aimless, has no friends to speak of.......I'm not sure what she is gaining from going to school at all at the moment.

Home Edding is looking very attactive to us with each passing day.

It defies logic doesn't it. :wacko: Usually these decisions boil down to ���, but then why didn't they just decide to leave her at the current school ? :unsure:

From what you've posted, you have a strong case for appeal as so many people support the special school placement (including the LEA EP, which is important). It's demoralising, but don't give up.

>:D<<'>

K x