hev

which comedians do you find funny?

i find harry hill in his tv burp very funny and i also used to laugh at ronnie corbett ,you,know he sat in that black chair and talked,that was years ago though,i also used to love gimme,gimme,gimme

the ones i find so not funny are ricky gervais,billy connoly makes me feel ill and walliams and that other man are not funny

I used to like David Walliams and Matt Lucas, but Little Britain has worn a bit thin in my opinion.

I can't stand Ricky Gervais either.

Maybe we could find some good YouTube clips for this thread :devil:

I love all the old guys.

The two Ronnies, Morcome and wise. John cleese, oh and Rowan atkinson in black adder. I also love Jo Brand and Victoria Wood. Actually the list is endless, I love them all!!

Harmony x

A penguin goes in to a bar and says to the barmaid "have you seen my brother" she replies, "what does he look like" !! (latest from my 3 yr old, who is desparate to be a stand up, actually we think he's just desparate)

Peeps I don't find funny....Harry Hill, Cannon & Ball, Al Murray, Johnny Vegas, Roy Chubby Brown, Jim Davidson, Bernard Manning, Duncan Norvelle, Ken Dodd, Norman Wisdom, Russell Brand

Really like French & Saunders, Peter Kay, Julian Clary, Jo Brand, Jenny Eclair, Morcambe & Wise, Eddy Izzard, Wood & Walters, Lily Savage, Alan Carr, Justin Lee Collins, Jack Dee, Jasper Carrot, Paul Merton

Will come back and update once I've had a proper think

Edited by Bagpuss

Thumbs up: Billy Connolly, Victoria Wood, Morecambe & Wise, Tommy Cooper, Eddie Izzard, Dave Allen

Thumbs down: Bernard Manning, Jim Davidson, Rod Hull & that bliddy Emu.

There is quite a lot I like. Billy Connolly, Eddie Izzard, Chris Rock, Mel & Sue, French & Saunders, Victoria Wood, Jo Brand, people from whose line is it anyway (US Version), Jasper Carrott, Two Ronnies, Morcombe & Wise, Monty Python.

Who I don't like. Al Murray, Lee Evans, Roy Chubby Brown, Jim Davidson, Alan Carr

Edited by ScienceGeek

Hi Hev -

Harry Hill is the best thing on TV at the mo - but then I love a bit of sarcasm (the other day Ben and I came out of the supermarket and a man was walking past eating chips from a bag... I only JUST stopped myself, and if it wasn't for the fact that ben would have disowned me probably would have!)...

Ricky Gervais is brilliant, but you have to scratch the surface... The bit he did with Ronnie Corbett in Extras was the funniest Ronnie Corbett's been in years!

Billy Connelly - blows hot and cold (but 'an audience with' is genius)

I know a secret about 'gimme gimme gimme' but it's not mine to tell, so you'll have to wait and see :)

Pete and Dud

SM (the puckoon/Q/first war diary years)

Paul Whitehouse

For a non-comedian Jonathon Ross can really make me laugh

French and Saunders (on a good day - not belly laughs but very funny)

Victoria Wood/Mrs Overall

Michael Palin

Tommy Cooper on a good day (he was the first person who ever made me cry laughing when I was about ten)

John Sparks/Absolutely (Oh, Denzil, I are been sucked up the 'o-oover?)

Steve Martin in 'The Jerk' and 'The man with two brains'.

Jackie Gleason in Smokey and the Bandit (junior, there ain't no way you sprang from my loins...)

Stephen Fry

Dislikes:

Ade Edmonson (alternative comedy's answer to Harry Worth ;))

Giles Brandbreth et al

Rory McGrath

Phil Jupitus

That Irish bloke out of Black Books who thinks alcoholism = creative genius

Jasper Carrott

Dara O' Breeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen

Bobby Davro et al (although les dennis gets a reprieve after 'Extras')

Missed millions but JR's about to start :)

:D

oh i saw a trailer of the new thing that ade edmonson is in,hes sharing a flat with his kids,it looked so not funny,so i will give that a miss

i used to love french and saunders when i was younger,very funny but not the later stuff,they acted out the scene from the film misery where she chopped off his legs,it dont sound funny but i found it hilarious :lol:

Hi hev - it's a fancy latin term meaning 'and the rest' -

In this context meaning 'and all the similar comics' like (for Bobby Davro): Les Dennis, the guy who played alfie moon in eastenders, the guy who said 'it's a puppet' etc etc (see - so memorable I can't even remember their names but there are 100's more)

My favourite joke in the past two weeks (with the exception of HH being sarcastic - chippy chip chips!)... Sean Lock talking about an ageing keep fit instructress: 'She's a lovely bit of eye biltong!' :lol::lol:

(and before you ask, Hev, 'biltong' is a South African dried meat product - a bit like beef jerky but made from monkey (probably) and a lot less hygeinically manufactured (probably) and Kathryn likes it (honestly!) It tastes like a bovril flavoured liquorice whip!

Pearl - don't worry, it just means you have excellent taste and are very discerning :)

:D

Won't bother listing mine, just look at Baggy and Pearl's lists.

Seems to be fairly consistant overall, we like wit and cheeky, and dislike crude and lewd without some form of intelligence.

Ooh I forgot Les Dawson. I met him once, visiting my mate in hosp, his wife was in next room with their new baby. Lovely man. he died just a few months later.

Father Dougal? Ardal O Hanlan I think but no idea how to spell it.

Remember the plastic cows & the caravan scene?

Dougal, these are small .... those are FAR AWAY :lol:

Fantastic :clap::clap:

I stumbled across Father Ted by accident.....was a huge fan afterwards, but naff with remembering their names. Loved the old priest, was that Father Jack...the episode when they thought he'd died was the best ever :notworthy::notworthy:

The Benny Hill show still makes laugh. Laurel and Hardy also.

Harry Hill of course, Ricky Gervais, Jo Brand, I like reading Jeremy Clarkson's books/column, Ben Elton was hillarious (probably still is but you don't seem him these days, and a few others mentioned also above.

Flo'

Seems to be fairly consistant overall, we like wit and cheeky, and dislike crude and lewd without some form of intelligence.

Well Ive just one thing to say to that

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

(fnar fnar, Yak Yak!)

hev - just spotted your 'Orville' snipe - How very dare you! :lol: I do not have green fur!

Who said Jenny Eclaire ? Forgot her, but very yes!

oh, and vic and bob...

and even though the last series of Little Britain missed, Matt Lucas's timing is absolutely spot on...

Some of tittytittybangbang but more the 'Verwonika Cooper'/'Jeremy Kyle fan' lady than the other one who seems to get all the attention but isn't as funny/talented...

Moweena Banks - Yep! She is Brilliant! Yep!

and loads more....

More dislikes:

Jethro et al

Bill Bailey (that'll be unpopular but he's just too 'smug')

Ian Hislop (see above)

That bloke on 'Grumpy Old Men' who speaks very slowly and deliberately and isn't very grumpy. And the other one who's just like him but not him, and has marginally better taste in jumpers.

Dara O'Breeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen (again)

Richard Stilgoe

Lee Evans

Any novelty comedian like Jimmy Cricket or Freddy Parrot Face Davis

Vinny Jones (I know he's not a comic, but if I'm doing a dislike list he's right up there!)

There was this Welsh bloke years ago who was about as funny as prolapsed haemhorroids - Max Boyce(?)

Mel Smith/Griff Rhys Jones

Almost everyone who was on that new BBC3 show the other night but especially the one who was obviously told some years ago that he looks a bit like Rik Mayall and thinks that is enough to make him funny if he shouts and swears a lot... actually, I take that back: Everyone who was on that show except for Jonathon Ross but he was only a guest not a performer so he doesn't count anyway, does he?, but the rest and especially the Rik Mayall lookeelikeee were absolutely pitiful to a man and they should give refunds on the license fee for showing it but it's the kind of show you watch just in case something funny happens but then feel disappointed and ashamed about...

and loads more INCLUDING GRAHAM NORTON - thanks for the clip Bagpuss

Flora - no Ben Elton isn't funny anymore - he did a series for ITV with the absolutely useless presenter of that BBC3 show above a little while ago and it was even less funny than Max Boyce...

Right - I'm off to dip my head in a bucket of bubbling tar to cool down :)

Edited by baddad

oh no bighead how can you find jeny eclair funny and i cant stand jo brand,not that you mentioned her,i just cant stand her!also dislike richard stilgoe and lee evans and mr bean makes me want to throw up,im not joking,i have to turn tele over quick,not that hes on much now,thank god

bighead i find you very funny :wub::wub:;)

I like that american lady too...Rita someone, begins with an R :unsure:

Bob Monkhouse could be very funny and Joan Rivers.......what she said was always so outrageous :o but made me laugh so much.

Pam Ayres..does she count, because she was brilliant :thumbs:

Edited by Bagpuss

oh yeah baggy i dont enjoy vents either(you know what i mean!)and i used to laugh at pam ayres

oh yeah baggy i dont enjoy vents either

I had a jacket with a vent up the back... could have been worse considering where they usually stick their hands...

Was it Beryl Reid and Archie Andrews who had the following conversation(?):

AA : Can you see my lips moving?

BR: Yes, but only when the puppet's talking.

What about Shari Lewis and lamb-chop, though? Is she the exception that proves the rule?

I knew a pretty girl who was a very unsuccessful vent until she went topless - only half the audience ever saw her lips moving after that...

Tell you what, though, you never saw Harry Corbetts lips move, did you? He was brilliant cos he could do Sue and Ramsbottom at the same time AND drink a glass of water. Amazing!

What?

Really?

Under the......

Really??

You've shattered all my illusions now... :tearful:

Why'd you have to go and tell me that? :tearful::tearful:

:crying:

Am I alone in absolutely hating Harry Hill??

No one has mentioned the brilliant Caroline Aherne (the Royale family :notworthy: ).

Boho :dance:

I like that american lady too...Rita someone, begins with an R :unsure:

Rita Rudner?

Wayne and Waynetta Slob, priceless

I want a BRAAAAAHN baybeeeee!!!!! :lol:

I loved Ricky Tomlinson in the Royale Family...and nana

I don't drink do I Barbara? Just a snowball at Christmas.... everybody's nana is like the Royle's nana!

Edited by pearl

OOfs, I cannot STAAAAAND Ruby Wax, that nasal, whiny....mind you, I watched a docu with her on it, and when shes just being herself she's actually rather lovely!

I went to see Phil Kaye (not Peter, Phil!) and he was flimmin' hilarious, truly funny man. I like Billy Connolly, especially his joke about what God did with the leftover elbow skin...heheh! :devil: And how people try to cover up when they've tripped on a pavingstone! Genius!

Detest RCB, Bobby Davro,Bradley-make-you-want-to-vom-cuz-hes-so-cheezy-Walsh.... :sick:

Who mentioned that gem, Absolutely? I adored that, we used to get perticularly excited when the character with mismatched specs said 'Get to Falkirk!', for obvious reasons, and the whole 'Stoneybridge' thing was pant-wettingly mirthsome too...

Remember Newman and Baddiel? Liked that too, but then I was biased and fancied Rob Newman rather a lot....

Reevs and Mortimer are terribly amusing also....umm....

Thats it, coming up blank now, all gone byebye.......

God, I need more sleeeeeeeeeepppp!!!!!!!!

Esther x

I adore Victoria Wood: everything she's ever done. How many comedians can make you both laugh and cry? Fantastic actor, musician, writer comedian and a nice person too, by the sound of it. It's not fair, is it?!. :crying::rolleyes: I was very lucky to see her do stand up at the Royal Albert Hall - over two hours without a break. She was amazing. And I laughed so much I hurt the next day.

Other comedians I like:

Paul Merton

Jack Dee (loved Lead Balloon)

Stephen Fry - on his own and with Hugh Laurie)

Ricky Gervais

Steve Coogan (Alan Partridge especially :) )

Linda Smith (more of a radio personality - sadly died not so long ago)

French and Saunders - underwhelming when together but separately very talented

I grew up watching the two Ronnies - some of their humour will never date: who can forget this one? :D

K x

jack dee i find his humour very dry and not funy

thanks for the clip k,they were very funy the two ronnies

:thumbs: Pookie- Stoooooooneybridge! yep, totally pant-wetting!

Mrs Overall (Julie Walters) comedy genius.

Billy Connolly (he put his leg in the arm of the eiderdown!!) An audience with, another pant-wetter!!

Shooting stars, (ivavoo)

Johnathan Ross- sometimes,

Ab Fab, (Patsy)

Gimme gimme gimme- hilarious (what';s the secret BD tell me tell me??)

Porridge,

Wayne n Waynetta (I'm smokin a faaaaaaaaaaaaaag!)

Bubbles (Little Britain- daaaaaaling)

Only fools (Come back, Christmas aint the same without you!)

Ronnie Barker in Open all hours (Nurse Emmanuelle, :thumbs: )

Rising Damp

Don't like,

Lee Evans

Harry Hill

Ian Hislop, not a comic but God i can't stand his smug snidey comments.

Paul Merton, bit of a burke too

Bobby Davro (cheeseball)

The Krankies (so NOT fandabidosey)

Freddie Starr (Aarrgggghhhhh!)

That other guy with the longish hair (bald patch) and beard.

Emu

Orville.

Later French n Saunders work, although the send up of Silence of the Lambs was hilarious....Dr Lecter?? Dr Lecter????

And that's about it really!

Gimme Gimme Gimme is actually written by my DH's cousin!!

And no, we don't find it that funny :o:shame:

(Was this BD's 'secret' about GGG?? :unsure: )

Edited by bid

Gimme Gimme Gimme is actually written by my DH's cousin!!

And no, we don't find it that funny :o:shame:

(Was this BD's 'secret' about GGG?? :unsure: )

Yes - but now it's 'out' it's a bit of an anti-climax! :lol:

Typical of me to get it wrong, But I thought it was J's brother rather than cousin... still - could have been worse, Could have been second-cousin-once-removed's-nephews-daughters-boyfirend or something!

Soooo.... does anyone else have a very tenuous link to obscurity? :lol:

Oh - and back to comedy heroes -

Kathy Burke... :thumbs:

And last night we had MARK HEAP and TAMZIN GREIG on in 'Love Soup' - two absolutely brill comedy actors who make anything watchable (even 'Love Soup'! )

Soooo.... does anyone else have a very tenuous link to obscurity? :lol:

My DH went to motocycle maintenance classes with Jools Holland! :lol:

~ Mel ~

Soooo.... does anyone else have a very tenuous link to obscurity?

My next door but two neighbour is Zoe Ball's cousin. You dont get more tenuous than that!

Ooh ooh and .... my SIL went to teacher training college with Liam Neeson, & used to cut his hair for him :wub:

If she'd played her cards right ....