bid

Obsessions

:oops::oops::oops:

I meant to post this in General Discussion!!

Please can a lovely mod move it for me?? :pray::lol:

I thought this was really interesting :clap:

Last night at work I was just showing a colleague some websites about Klimt, one of my favourite artists...I think I have mentioned before the intense relationship I have with colour and sparklies and so on.

I have never been able to verbalise how these obsessions make me feel inside...just the most overwhelming excitement, happiness, intense intense emotion :hypno:

I was so fired up by looking at these paintings that I had to leave the night room and hide round a corner to flap and jump in circles :clap::bounce::wacko::hypno::lol:

Later I had a thought and I used the SATs machine...my heart rate was 107 :o:o and my blood/oxygen was down to 94 (hyperventilating??)

Anyway, I just thought it showed in a really graphic way the physical effect of the emotional impact of this obsession for me. It made me think about our kids, and how often people struggle to understand the importance or significance of their obsessions to them...

Bid :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Edited by bid

:oops::oops::oops:

I meant to post this in General Discussion!!

Please can a lovely mod move it for me?? :pray::lol:

Sorry - we're all out of lovely mods, but I've done it anyway! :lol:

As an Obsessive Compulsive myself I totally get what you mean.

Sometimes I do hyperventilate with excitement :oops: I have a lot of obsessions that I don't want to do which is part of OCD, but I do have some like you describe, which really cause an emotional reaction... I tend to feel really worn out afterwards too, like I've just run miles :huh:

Edited by Thompsons

wow,thanks Bid, gave me some insight- at mo my lads is.........lego.................and stop motions.......................he goes onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnand oooooooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxx

My son does a funny hopping spasmy type movements when he's excited, can't describe it but it's quite odd looking :lol: We get it a lot with doors. Dorrs, his no 1 obsession do make him physically hyperaroused. We were in the bank a few weeks abck and long queue. bank had automatic door with button which DS was glued to. By the time I'd finished he was breatheless, cheeks red, sweating, heart racing and needed to be taken out to strip off and have a drink!

Lx

Edited by LizK

T does this when he is playing or talking about "Mario" or "Dr Who", he starts screeching and laughing and then gets physical and jumps on you!

Gods, yes, Cal gets very physically animated, a little bit of flapping but mucho twitchyness- 'ants-in-pants-syndrome'!! :P

And he's trying to tell you all about whats rocking his world at that moment but is so full of the wowies that he stumbles over the words and stammers and stalls....or sometimes I think the intensity is all he can deal with, and then there's lots of 'ehming' and biiiiig pauses as he flaps and tries to capture the phrase thats eluding him. That one's worse, as it frustrates the listener too. Anyway, by the end of it his hearts racing and hes all clammy and breathless......

Hes sooooooooooooo into Dr Who and loves Mario as well, Cariad!!!

Esther

I tend to get quite bouncy, flappy and like spinning. My heart rate goes up and blush a lot. I was like that this evening when we were talking about my birthday! :clap: :clap: :clap::bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Gods, yes, Cal gets very physically animated, a little bit of flapping but mucho twitchyness- 'ants-in-pants-syndrome'!! :P

And he's trying to tell you all about whats rocking his world at that moment but is so full of the wowies that he stumbles over the words and stammers and stalls....or sometimes I think the intensity is all he can deal with, and then there's lots of 'ehming' and biiiiig pauses as he flaps and tries to capture the phrase thats eluding him. That one's worse, as it frustrates the listener too. Anyway, by the end of it his hearts racing and hes all clammy and breathless......

Hes sooooooooooooo into Dr Who and loves Mario as well, Cariad!!!

Esther

Quite a lot of AS kids love Dr Who and Mario, I wonder why this is?

I have never been able to verbalise how these obsessions make me feel inside...just the most overwhelming excitement, happiness, intense intense emotion :hypno:

I was so fired up by looking at these paintings that I had to leave the night room and hide round a corner to flap and jump in circles :clap::bounce::wacko::hypno::lol:

Thats an awesome description of how obsessions feel for me :thumbs: I get like this with lego, i start building it then get just like that and i end up totally obsessed and lost in building the toy and the enrgy goes through roof along with excitement and i speed up building it!!! I can keep it up like that for hours :thumbs: Im the same when i build electrical gadgets or when working on my cars.

But im not like it when driving, driving id about sensory stimulation especially accelerating, braking, cornering forces etc.

As an Obsessive Compulsive myself I totally get what you mean.

Sometimes I do hyperventilate with excitement :oops: I have a lot of obsessions that I don't want to do which is part of OCD, but I do have some like you describe, which really cause an emotional reaction... I tend to feel really worn out afterwards too, like I've just run miles :huh:

Thats the difference between specific OCD and ASD related obsessions. OCD ones can be unwanted where as ASD related obsessions are usually pleasurable to the person obsessing.

I tend to get quite bouncy, flappy and like spinning. My heart rate goes up and blush a lot. I was like that this evening when we were talking about my birthday! :clap: :clap: :clap::bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

do you actually get to go do something bouncy and flappy/spinny?? I get those feelings and if i dont do something i can be jumpy for hours when i should be sleep and lay in bed moving around constantly :lol:

I find a drive sorts me out but i have to be VERY restrained otherwise i will disapear out into cornwall and the country lanes and be gone for a couple of hours and waste half a tank of fuel!!!! :lol: Not good at 2am when i should be sleeping :lol:

Only problem i have is the things i want to do are often dangerous or they cause me to get into trouble or injure me. like diving in bushes and rolling in mud or jumping off things. The MoD police on base get upset when i dive in bushes and jump off walls and things and i damage my ankles and knees easily doing that too and cutting myself up and bruising myself as i fall through bushes. Plus my clothes dont like it very much :lol: I like rolling down hills lots too!!

I want to join an abseil club when i leave navy because i like the feeling of falling you get with abseilling at speed!!!! Ive been told off for abseilling off the Hilsea Ramparts in Portsmouth. I loved it because there are some old victorian bunkers with 20m drops i can abseil off using the railings to secure my rope. Unfortunately the psychologist thought it was dangerous incase i fell or the railings broke, but the railings are very strong and the wieght i spread over all three railings and i wont fall as i use a petzl shunt thingy wotsit to stop me if i let go of rope. They wouldnt see that i know what i was doing so i had to hand in my rope and im not allowed to do it without supervision in a safe environment anymore. I could just buy another rope but that would be against the rules.

Never thought of it as an ASD trait before. MY DD(13) just cant help bouncing around and becoming quite echolalic when Dr Who comes on...Had just put it down to general immaturity....but realise that I'm not good at recognising /accepting lots of ASD

signs that others have noticed.

Another one here-my lad will do this weird kinda bouncing n skidding along the floor bit like a mix between a footballer that has just scored and a Wrestler bouncing round the ring. :huh:

Some one put a paint brush in that girls hand, I think there is a Klimt in there somewhere bursting to come out.

Go for it.

:thumbs:

Edited by Frangipani

Lots of adrenalin and excitement regarding cars here!