Bard

Residential trip

I didn't want to post before, in case I jinxed it.

B has just returned from a residential educational trip with his school, and the support for him before and during was fantastic!

It was three nights in dormitory accommodation, two days of strenuous educational activities and over 300 miles away from home.

They did a risk assessment for the trip, and one specifically for him, came up with a list of ways they were going to ensure his needs were understood and met.

Then they emailed everything to me and asked for my input.

The SENCO was in touch, and the leader of the trip, and nothing that I suggested was dismissed or regarded as weird.

B's come back delighted, enthusiastic about what he saw and did, and the teacher said it had been no trouble and B had been great. And he looked as if he meant it too!

So some schools believe in Inclusion, and are prepared to put in the effort and communication necessary to make sure that it works, and B is lucky enough to be in one of them.

Thats such good news :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

ben went on a 3 day resiential trip last week too and had a fabulous time!!! he is in an asd unit so there was a member of staff for each child that went plus a fully qualified paramedic!!

Absolutley fantastic, mine was never allowed on residentials, or day trips unless I helped. He started at a special school in Feb and they have had 1 day trip so far which he went on without me, the honeymoon period at school is now over though, so wether he wil go on future trips remains to be seen! Enid

Absolutley fantastic, mine was never allowed on residentials, or day trips unless I helped. He started at a special school in Feb and they have had 1 day trip so far which he went on without me, the honeymoon period at school is now over though, so wether he wil go on future trips remains to be seen! Enid

Well, this is a boy whose default setting is anger, and who stormed his way through most of his school life, having internal exclusions, isolations and proper out-of-school exclusions. He was given to hitting those that had upset or annoyed him.

But both his primary and secondary never gave up on him; working out strategies, discarding ones that didn't work, restraining his behaviour with sanctions when it was dangerous to him and those around him. Constantly working with me to create solutions.

He was always allowed on school trips with reasonable safeguards and a designated adult, even his Y6 activity residential week.

This was his first overnight from secondary, I didn't let him go to France and he didn't want to be part of the exchange!

I didn't fancy having to go and get him from a foreign country, with DEPORTED on his passport.

I'm very pleased to read of this and that he has thoroughly enjoyed the trip. Occasions like this will be very beneficial - I hope both of you come out confident from this occasion :)

What a fantastic bunch of teachers your son's school have :thumbs:

As Katheryn said, wish there were more of them like that.

Flora :thumbs:

Well, that's the thing isn't it.

B's school is big, 1400 children. Yet they take the time and trouble to deal with one boy in such detail.

Great news, and you must be so relieved that it went well.

J has his first residential trip with school in November. He's so looking forward to it and so am I - I could do with the time off!

Karen

x