bid

Hair!!

Just wondered if any of you have been brave enough to grow out your hair colour to see what's happening au naturelle? :o:ph34r:

I read an article a couple of weeks ago that set me thinking. It was by a writer who decided to do the very same as she was nearing 50. I have to say that with her grown-out silvery hair she actually looked much more attractive than with her coloured mop...

A woman at work has done the same, and even her long hair looks great I think all silvery round her face.

Would you dare? I have quite long hair, so it would take about 2 years to stop looking stripey I fear, but at the same time I'm tired of faffing about with roots and high lights...but equally I don't want to look as though *shudder* I've let myself go!!

Whadda ya think laydees!

Boho :dance:

omg that sounds scary ha ha i got really long pretend blonde hair and i been colouring it since i was 13!!!!!! god knows what my true hair colour is???? always been too scared to grow the colour out ha ha,,

:P

You know, that could be construed as a little tactless.

Having met me, you know where I stand on this issue! :whistle:

* mutters 'let myself go...oh yes, and there should have been someone to catch me, and pamper me...' mutter mutter.

But Bard, you look as though you have fabby silver highlights...

(Have I grovelled enough yet?? :P;) )

Boho :partytime:

Edited by bid

Ooooo Bid, you brave woman !

You could always have it stripped back at the hairdressers, I believe they can do it with chemicals.

I suppose its all part of growing old gracefully, afraid I remain disgraceful for the time being, and keep touching up my grey bits.

Clare

Well my colour, when I can be bothered, comes out of a bottle from a hight street store. Never plucked up the courage to have it done at the hairdressers - I wouldn't know what to ask for.

Talking of hair colour - has any one been watching Wimbledon today? I think Sue Barker's gone a bit too pale blonde this year - it doesn't do much for her, in my opinion.

K x

My mum is 71 and she still has most of her natural colour and has never dyed her hair, she had the most beautiful strawberry blonde hair which my son inherited. Her brother also, I think I am lucky as I still have all my natural colour, I noticed one grey hair the other day and pulled it out. :lol:

My natural colour is blonde as I get older its going a darker honey/brown colour which I really like. Because of swimming I get lots of highlights from the surf. Recently I dyed my hair a chocolate brown and all the highlights looked reddish/gold, my daughter loves it. She thinks I look like her sister now. :lol: aawww... as her hair is this colour. :D

She said with my dying my hair her colour, she can see more how she looks like me. It was hard to really tell when I was blonde. She wants me to stay this colour, but I like my natural colour.

Luckily it suits my skin tone.

If you are grey when you grow the colour out, you could enhance it with pretty shades of grey. Or even go blonde. :D

I love experimenting. Its fun to look different. Plus it confuses your friends, and its funny when they dont recognise you, and get a shock.

Fran :)

I would never be brave enough, l am really dark so it would look awfull while it was growing out.It is very tempting though as mine has to be done every 4 weeks now, and l hate doing it, maybe if l was on a deserted island with no one around (how lovely she thinks, especially this morning!!)

l am really dark so it would look awfull while it was growing out.

That's my problem too, because although I've gone lighter over the years, any original colour is still going to be very dark :crying:

Has no-one been brave enough to try??

Bard, not counting you 'cos you never became a slave to little bits of foil, etc, in the first place! :notworthy:

Boho :unsure:

Sorry I'm not a 'grow old gracefully' subscriber, I'm a growing old 'kicking and screaming' type myself :rolleyes: and am devoted to lotions and potions and anything I can afford to slow down or at least give the appearance of slowing down the ageing process!

Bid, it all depends on skin tone. Some people do actually suit grey hair but it relies on what sort of effect the grey hair and aging process has on the hue of the skin. I have an old auntie who has excellent bone structure and hardly any wrinkles but she has left her hair grey and it makes her look jaundiced because she has olive skin. She needs a warmer hair colour but unfortunately she has a scalp condition which means she can't have her hair dyed.

I'll never go grey ever ever ever. I have olive skin too and the thought of looking yellow like my auntie gives me the shivvers. Also it's not a colour I particularly like!

Flora :D

I have dark black hair and lots of it - so I can't really colour/dye it properly unless I bleach it first.

I have bleached it and sometimes I use those cheap wash-out "dyes" you can buy at boots etc... but the colours often don't show up - Pink looks more purple... Red and green don't do too badly.

I had green spikes - about 2-3 inches tall when I went to see the Dropkick Murphy's a few months ago, and did a pink mohawk arrangement when I went to see Placebo!

Currently it's just long, thick, messy and black - hasn't been cut for about 16 months!

:)

Bid, it all depends on skin tone.

Absolutely agree with this one.

One of my problems with hair colour is that I am very pale (celtic colouring: pale skin, dark hair and blue eyes :whistle:;):lol: ) so it's very difficult to find a hair colour that is 'cool' enough, even ash tones can have too much orange in them IYKWIM. And if I try anything approaching my original darkness I look like Morticia Adams :o:ph34r::lol:

I had two maternal great aunts whose hair went snowy white from black in their 30s, which actually looked pretty cool!

Mmmm, it's not really about aging gracefully for me, because I wouldn't start wearing beige slacks :lol: It's difficult to explain, really...

I saw a piccie of someone like Joley Richardson?? the other day and while I know she's blonde, she was silvery around her face (might have been highlights of course...).

Best Mate Man's Wife has never coloured her hair, and when they were little my girlies used to say she had 'mermaid hair', because she was very dark grey on top but silvery underneath...they thought it was beautiful!

Boho :curlers:

I have dark black hair and lots of it - so I can't really colour/dye it properly unless I bleach it first.

I have bleached it and sometimes I use those cheap wash-out "dyes" you can buy at boots etc... but the colours often don't show up - Pink looks more purple... Red and green don't do too badly.

I had green spikes - about 2-3 inches tall when I went to see the Dropkick Murphy's a few months ago, and did a pink mohawk arrangement when I went to see Placebo!

Currently it's just long, thick, messy and black - hasn't been cut for about 16 months!

:)

You sound like my DS, who has variously had gorgeous long hair, and then a dark blonde, then a black, then an aubergine mohawk :thumbs::clap:

The he got me to shave it all off apart from a floppy tuft at the front when he went to the Slimelight Club...he looked like a degenerate Tintin! :lol:

Then he shaved it all off, and has started again to grow it long (I think).

Boho :thumbs:

Edited by bid

:P

You know, that could be construed as a little tactless.

Having met me, you know where I stand on this issue! :whistle:

* mutters 'let myself go...oh yes, and there should have been someone to catch me, and pamper me...' mutter mutter.

:lol::lol::lol: bard you do make me laugh sometimes :lol: i think you fab by the way

i went grey like my dad at about 30 and i find it revolting on me,thats why i go for the yellow/orange look!!i look like an old witch when im grey so theres no way i would go back to my original colour

"shudders at the thought"

Well, have reached a compromise and did my roots last night so as not to startle at Greenwich :lol:

But then I'm not going to do anything until the end of the summer hols so I can see wot's wot! :o:ph34r:

I'm not minding silvery, but not sure about grey :unsure:

Boho :partytime:

I think some ladies really suit their hair colour when they let nature take its course. Hope it all works out ok for you Bid...it's having the courage to let it grow and see what colour it is isn't it? I'm quite grey now, infact I think I have more grey/silver hair than my mum. I've even got the odd grey eyebrow hair appearing....darn't look anywhere else :lol: I had it cut really short once and that resulted in all the highlights and various colours being cut out and leaving me with my natural colour. I liked it....but DH didn't. He's the sort of fella who thinks women should not be grey or have hairy legs/armpits :rolleyes:

I liked it....but DH didn't. He's the sort of fella who thinks women should not be grey or have hairy legs/armpits :rolleyes:

Is he called Gene?? :devil:

Boho :clap:

Well, have reached a compromise and did my roots last night so as not to startle at Greenwich :lol:

:oops: you know what I didn't even notice you had done them :lol: :lol:

Im not brave enough cos mine is vile mousey with grey. I am staying blonde because this way people think Im younger than I am.

Hiya,

I did grow out my huge amount of blonde highlights probably about 12 years ago now - and it was the best thing i ever did!

My boyfriend at the time was french and not one to mince his words....in a stunning accent he told me my hair looked like rope!! :o:lol:

Good job I loved him!! - but....best thing i ever did was take away the highlights etc and revert back to dark brown.

After the initial shock of being brown again - (I dyed my hair back brown whilst waiting for it to grow cos couldn't bare the roots) I realised it actually suited me much better darker - i can variate the brown shade - but would never go light again now.

good luck :)

I know what it might be, if bids taller then kellyanne can't see the top of her head :P:D

Bid is taller that me, but she spends so much time with her head in her lap laughing that I get to see her roots quite a lot. :lol: :lol: :P

Its not the colour I mind - its the texture. If I let nature take its course I get all these wiry bits standing out like I've been electrocuted. Highlights seem to alter the texture somehow.

Thats my excuse & I'm sticking to it. :whistle:

Incidentally, my mum is 86 & still has only a sprinkling of grey. It looks nice.