LizK

I hope this is ok

I have hesitated to post about my son's school before as I know that many of you are having rotten times with your school but I would love to share a positive school experience (so far) especially as I am feeling rather :tearful: because as the end of year draws near

DS is in Mainstream with fulltime 1-2-1 support although statement only says 25 hours. The general ethos at the school towards SENs is very positive and my son has a mini-celebratory status and knows EVERYONE who works there including the cleaners and caretakers!

He has a fantastic LSA who is more like a second mum to him and who supports him very well. Firm but loving :lol: She gives up a lot of her own time watching my younger son for 1 hour a wek so I can take DS to a gym class and staying behind after school (unpaid) one evening a week whilst he does an afterschool club. She will spend evenings doing social stories for school trips, sports days, own clothes day and so on. Both of my sons adore her and she is an absolute gem.

The curriculum is set up to include DS as much as possible but is differentiated for areas he struggles with as well as incorporating his developmental and social needs. He has a weekly sensory exercise session, a weekly social skills group, a play session and regular sessions of sensory relaxation or other sensory activties in short bursts each day. School has a buddy system for the classroom and playground and although he hasn't really got any friends as such he is accepted and liked by his peers

His current class teacher is ace. She is SENCO and has taught him for nearly two years and I am going to miss her a lot. She really understands DS knowing his strengths and weaknesses and aware not to put him under any undue stress whilst giving him (and me!) a little push where needed. She follows Adam's interests knowing it is the best way to motivate him

to keep him focused and happy at school rather than trying to force him to conform all the time. Topics have been chosen that interest Adam, outdoor PE skills conveniently included football skills when we pointed out that he wanted to play football with the boys but didn't have a clue. She has put an awful lot of thought into his transition to year 2 and there has been a transition plan running this last half term for both Adam and his new teacher!

Sports day this year was an example of how well things currently work. It's not his favourite activity as it's change, noisy and he detests the whistle. He had a social story made explaining what would happen and plenty of preparation. The whistle was banned so he wasn't put under any stress and he was allowed to wear his ear defenders and his LSAs tracksuit jacket for security! It went without a hitch!

I am apprehensive about next year because we have been thoroughly spoilt so far, his first teacher was also SENCO and great too. We have been spoilt really and probably lulled into a false sesne of security. I know nothing about his new teacher though she is supposed to be calm and is felt to be a good choice. But she is not SENCO and not had recent dealings with ASD kids and Adam being a complex creature is prone to being misunderstood. I suppose it will take time, I am just used to staff who understand autism and understand my son. His LSA is going with him which is good :thumbs: and I know I can see the SENCO whenever I need to

My son's experience at school is such a psotive example of inclusion working. He benefits greatly from being with NT children whilst haveing his own needs still addressed. It could have been such a different story though as he was distressed and very disruprive when he started school and it was only the patience of his first teacher along with advice from outside agencies that cracked it

I hope it is ok to post this and not being insensitive

Lx

that is lovely and a pleasure to know that some people do care bout our childrens education and will do their best for them ,,,,,,,,,, jo

i think its brilliant liz,if my steve was getting on like your boy i would be shouting from the rooftops!!! i love positive threads,dont ever be hesitant to post yours >:D<<'>

Liz, :thumbs::thumbs:

It's really cheering to read a postive and happy post. Not offensive in the least.

Thank you for sharing with us.

Flora :D

Hope things continue to go really well for you and your lad. It's great to hear about things working out so well, don't feel bad about posting, it gives us all hope. >:D<<'>

~ Mel ~

Not in the least bit insensitive - I'm very envious that your son is receiving the support that he needs and deserves!

Reading this restores my faith (a little, at least!) in schools.

Caroline.

What a gorgeous post! :thumbs:

Just goes to show it can be done, and done very well, with the right people and resources.

Lovely, lovely reading >:D<<'> :D

Liz,

Don't ever apologise for posting positive stuff, it shows that good support is possible, and therefore worth fighting for.

So glad to hear your son's doing so well. :thumbs:

K x

I know what you mean though, LizK.

B's school have been very supportive and adaptable after a poor start in his first term. They recognised that things weren't working and listened and got advice before they decided anything.

Y8 has been fantastic for almost every day, supply have slipped up on occasion, but that has been dealt with fairly each time by the real staff!

So B is happy, achieving and calm at school, doing the homework and coping well with things he finds a challenge.

When you read of other people struggling against everything, with little or no support, and having to make their own hope because none is being offered, and whose children are stressed and unhappy because of the ignorance and wilful disregard of others, it can sometimes make you cautious about posting how good thigs are for you and your child.

But you are shining a light at the end of a long tunnel, showing others that what you have is possible.

If one school can do it, then all should be willing to try and achieve the same.

Lovely post Liz :thumbs:

I know its hard but try not to worry too far ahead, just enjoy the good times. We had a good primary school for JP & he had many & varied teachers, but luckily not one was a dud. My biggest worry was when he was due to get an NQT. The lovely HT listened to my concerns & arranged for me to meet her ahead of the start of term so we could both ask any questions we wanted to. And she turned out to be one of the best teachers he ever had.

Like your lad, he had an excellent TA, & the continuity she provided helped smooth his way at the start of each school year. And she ended up going with him to High School & worked with him till he was 16 :thumbs:

I too have hesitated to post good stuff, I joined the forum at a time when things were starting to come right for JP (would have been a different story a few years earlier) but like Bard says, all our experiences good & bad are important & the good things do give us all hope.

I love hearing about the good stuff, so son't feel bad Liz. I'm truly glad that it's going well for him! Positive posts from others give me encouragement and strength, so don't stop!! ;)

Must say, I had a look at your youtube vid too, and it's brilliant. What a little honey your lad is- and what a smile!!

Esther x

Thank you everyone for your replies :thumbs: Good to ehar that others are getting onw ell too especially at secondary as that really scares me! Thanks for the lovely comments about the Youtube video. I think he's lovely but of course I'm biased ;)

Lx