Sign in to follow this  
NickyB

Dogs out of control!!

Hi all

I had an incident today and I'm not sure what to do about it.

I came out of the house with little DS this morning, and there was a woman walking past with two dogs, not on leads. They barked and growled at DS and started to run towards him. This of course freaked him out and he started to scream and run away. They chased after him and were running around his legs barking. I ran to him and got him away, but he was in quite a state.

I politely (:whistle:) asked the lady to keep her dogs under control, and she just said 'well, he shouldn't have run away - that made them chase him', and walked off. She showed absolutely no concern for DS. I shouted after her asking what the hell she expected him to do but she ignored me.

I know the woman concerned through one of the kids at school - she is his gran. My friends' child also had a similar incident and her cat was also attacked by the dogs. They are only tiny dogs, but they are never on a lead and they are really aggressive.

The trouble is, I don't know who to report it to. Any thoughts??

Edited by NickyB

This might seem an extreme reply and others might not agree with me, but I would report it to the RSPCA. If they are not the right people they will know who the right people are.

It is highly likely that your son isn't the first person they have reacted to and his reaction in running away seems perfectly natural.

I have no time for dog owners who cannot control their dogs or try to blame the behaviour on the reactions of others. The owner should be the one in control and should be taking preventative measures (leads, muzzle, dog-training classes) if they cannot control their animal. After all, if the animal attacked and caused actual harm, they would be at risk of prosecution and having the animal put down.

I was attacked by a 'little dog' when I was 6 years old. I still have scars on my knee and leg but these are these are nothing compared to not being able to cope with dogs in the park, on the street etc as a result of that experience (and probably intensified by AS issues). It's taken over 20 years for me to learn to be comfortable around a few more trusted dogs but it's still very difficult. It's not an experience I would wish on anyone.

Dog ownership isn't a right, it's a responsibility and these people need a little push to know where their responsibilities lie. :devil:

I agree with Mumble - someone on the RSPCA helpline can probably give you a quick answer to this. I don't know what the legal position is but I think the woman's reaction was completely out of order - it's not as though your son was provoking them deliberately and surely it's her responsibility to control her dogs!

K x

Yep - the only thing I hate more than a badly trained dog is the owner who tries to justify it by blaming the people the dog barks at/chases/bites.

Report the silly old bat, but don't anticipate a warm welcome the next time you see her...

Alternatively, if they are small dogs you could try kicking them and saying 'well it's the dogs fault he should have run away'. The logic is no less flawed than hers, but i suspect she'd not get that at all :angry:

Of course, I'm not really condoning kicking dogs, but if i was a millyanaire I'd start an 'anti bad dog owners patrol scheme' where honking great blerks were employed purely to go round 'correcting' the behaviour of irresponsible dog owners - i.e. getting those who 'forgot to bring a bag today' you see in the park to pick it up in their bare hands and take it home in their pockets...

:D

Edited by baddad

Yep - the only thing I hate more than a badly trained dog is the owner who tries to justify it by blaming the people the dog barks at/chases/bites.

Report the silly old bat, but don't anticipate a warm welcome the next time you see her...

Alternatively, if they are small dogs you could try kicking them and saying 'well it's the dogs fault he should have run away'. The logic is no less flawed than hers, but i suspect she'd not get that at all :angry:

Of course, I'm not really condoning kicking dogs, but if i was a millyanaire I'd start an 'anti bad dog owners patrol scheme' where honking great blerks were employed purely to go round 'correcting' the behaviour of irresponsible dog owners - i.e. getting those who 'forgot to bring a bag today' you see in the park to pick it up in their bare hands and take it home in their pockets...

:D

:lol: I was tempted to give her a kick rather than the dogs :o

The local community warden sometimes follows dog walkers around and makes them clear up the mess :thumbs: I might have a word with her - I am sure the whole family is 'known' to her :whistle:

I too would suggest the RSPCA - even if they can't do anything they might be able to tell you who to go to next

definiteley have a word with your dog warden about this, as a dog owner myself I would never dream of taking her out on the pavements/road etc without a lead , they are obviously not under control at all and are a danger......stupid woman!!!

Of course, I'm not really condoning kicking dogs

Damn, I was all ready to start taking you literally then... :whistle:

it is law to have a dog on a lead in public, there is a dogs act now and some dogs have to also be mussled.

I would report her to the local police station too.

JsMumxx

The person you want is the Dog Warden.

It sounds like your son is not the first person to have been affected by this woman's dogs. Nothing will get done if she is not reported. It's not fair on the dogs to have an irresponsible owner, because when they do attack a person, they will be put down.

As a dog owner for many years, I would say that dogs off the lead, generally, are the ones that DONT bite humans. I doubt very much that if her dogs bit children she'd be happy to have them off the lead. But of course, you dont know that!! There are exceptions to the rule of course. Id say the dogs got excited by your lad running away and thats all it was. Their bark may be worse than their bite, (Boom boom!!) She could have apologised for scaring you and put them on the lead to make the peace. I would have done. If people run away from my dog, I shout out, that he is safe and that he doesnt bite. So she does sound a bit ignorant. My dog attacks cats ( if he can get to them fast enough ) its a dog/cat thing but would never attack a person, x

As a dog owner for many years, I would say that dogs off the lead, generally, are the ones that DONT bite humans...

My dog attacks cats its a dog/cat thing but would never attack a person, x

Hmm... all those pit bulls that rip the faces off of children then must get off the lead accidentally, and their owners know they would attack a person if they got the chance to do so?

Love the logic there....

L&P

BD :D

Sorry - just poppping back to add a PS as i realised that probably came across a bit harsher than i meant it... the point I intended to make was that irresponsible dog owners offer exactly the same 'justifications' after the event, and it's an extension of 'blaming the victim' (the dogs got excited by the child running away) mentioned in the OP.. The fact is, all dogs are unpredictable to some degree, especially those with irresponsible owners (which this lady appears to be). As every other dog you see these days seems to be some sort of pit-bull cross and somewhere in the equation there's a ninteen year old idiot who thinks it's 'hard' responsible for the dogs acquisition i think the laws on dog ownership really need tightening. That's not a 'comment' on the post I've quoted, just a recognition of the fact that the defence put forward tends to be universal regardless of the make up - good or bad - of the owner.

L&P

Edited by baddad

There are instances of dogs who have never attacked before, suddenly turning on a child or baby even in the same family, with tragic consequences - I don't know enough about dogs but I gather it's a dominance thing. So I don't think any dog owner should be complacent and assume their dog will behave predictably.

I was once bitten on the hand as I passed by a large dog which was actually on a lead and under control. We were coming round a corner towards each other and I must have surprised the dog who then attacked what it perceived as a threat. The owner was clearly shocked. I wasn't too hurt, but what if it had been a young child? The dog would have been level with its face.

As for dogs just running up to people - I hate it when dog owners assume everyone likes this. I don't mind dogs and will even pat them occasionally, but there are times when I really don't want dog spit all over my hands, a dog nose jammed in my crotch or dog paw marks all over my pale jeans.

On the other hand dogs don't try to sleep in your in-tray or sit on your papers or block the computer screen or lie with their paws on the keyboard as my cat is doing at the moment. She isn't being affectionate - it's the desk lamp she wants. She thinks it's there for her especial benefit to keep her nice and warm. :rolleyes:

K x

Edited by Kathryn

If people run away from my dog, I shout out, that he is safe and that he doesnt bite.

I'm sorry, but this sort of attitude really gets to me. The fact he hasn't bitten doesn't mean he won't bite/attack plus why should I/others have to be put up with being chased/annoyed by a dog when I've done nothing to make it come to me. If it can't stay with its owner then it should be on a lead. I think it's very inconsiderate thinking it's ok for your dog to upset people just because it hopefully doesn't physically hurt. :(

Lol, so every dog should be on a lead because of a humans irriational fear of dogs ? I can understand in the street, if it keeps the peace. Not everyone understands animals. But in the park, no, dogs need to be excercised.

What are you going to do, call the poilce because you have a fear of dogs?

Oh dear this is a controversial subject, I wasnt expecting that really!

I think that on the whole a "well behaved" dog being exercised off lead in a known exercising area is absolutely fine. My Dog is a Dobermann, he was 11 months old when I rescued him and had a lot of behavioural problems (although none of them aggression) In the beginning I wouldnt let him off the lead period! Purely because he would jump up when excited never ever come back when called! I spent a lot of time training him and now he never jumps up and comes back 99% of the time (I cant distract him from someones left over pasty!)

Now I will let him off when walking in a closed off area or in the woods, if we walk along the beach we walk on the quieter side or the area with the most dogs. I always put him back on the lead if I see a BBQ or picnic as I know that is his weakness.

I consider myself to be a very responsible dog owner in the fact that I KNOW my dog is a gentle giant, I also KNOW that I dont THINK he would ever turn on anything or anyone.....BUT I also KNOW he is in fact a WILD animal. I would never leave children other than my own in a room with him, especially with my own children as if they have a play fight my dog will instictively try to protect my children if he is not aware its a game.

I also know my dogs strengths and weaknesses and plan around then, i.e never walking him off lead near people trying to eat/play football.

He does however run very fast and some people do look scared when hes running whether it be towards them or not. I cant be responsible for that. I do instantly try to put them at ease and up until now it has always been enough.

There are an awful lot of people however that think that their dog is safe purely because its small and fluffy, whereas the most dangerous dogs I have come across (besides a Rottweiler that attacked my dog one day) were Bichon Frise! They just look like little fluffy clouds with legs!!

Anyway, I think i'm rambling now....

I guess what i'm trying to say is if everyone was responsible for their own behaviour aswell as that of their animal, everyone would be a lot happier and be able to get along.

Lol, so every dog should be on a lead because of a humans irriational fear of dogs ? I can understand in the street, if it keeps the peace. Not everyone understands animals. But in the park, no, dogs need to be excercised.

Yes I think that dog should be on leads in public park. The are public parks not dog exercise parks, dog owners need to take responsibility for their animals.

If you want some were for your dog to run about uncontrolled then do it on private land not public park.

I would report to the police any dog that came at me, I dint care if it "wont bite", if it runs at me it is out of control.

I do not have a fear of dogs and have always had dogs in the family.

There will always be irrational people. Like one stupid girl who ran into the middle of the road when i was walking our labrador (then just 4 months old!) down the pavement. There will always be idiots who who completely over react and as a result put themselves and others in danger

I would report to the police any dog that came at me, I dint care if it "wont bite", if it runs at me it is out of control.

I sincerely hope they would caution you for wasting valuable police time, especially in a park , x

I would report any owner of a dog if i felt in danger whether they said it was safe or not just as chris would. I wouldnt report any owner who's dog had "annoyed" me though, I think their kids can be far more annoying and we dont get to report them lol

Hi Lisa - sorry, but I don't think 'irrational fear of dogs' is a reasonable attitude. If somebody's German Shepherd or pit-bull cross or Dobermann is barking and haring towards a seven or eight year old child I don't think it's 'irrational' for that child to feel intimidated, or to run, or to cower or anything like that. (The same applies to a lovely 'fluffy' golden retreiver, too but generally they're intent is usually a sexual one, the dirty , indiscriminate oversexed *******!) Recently there was a newspaper article about a Police dog handler-trainer who got killed when his own dogs turned on him, yet I'm sure his knowledge of training/handling dogs was miles ahead of the average person's on the street, and i'm sure he would have said his dogs 'wouldn't hurt a fly unless i told 'em too' at countless county fairs and demonstrations. I don't know what psychology lies behind the thinking of people who set out to acquire a dog like a pitbull or dobermann knowing the reputation of the breed(?) The answer 'Oh I just like how they look' doesn't really cut it for me, I'm afraid.

Anyhoo - if you're walking your dog in the park there's usually a good space where you can let them off the lead without it being a problem to other people. If people do happen along, and your dog isn't well enough trained to come to heel when called to do so then put the lead back on (or maybe, it shouldn't be off in the first place 'cos coming to heel is pretty much stage 1 of the Barbara Woodhouse 6-point-plan). On the street it should always be on a lead... No biggy, no-brainer: just perfectly reasonable acts of consideration that all dog owners should be able to appreciate without feeling challenged.

Oh... and clean up the mess! :lol:

Sorry just seen your latest post: 'Idiots who overreact'? I'm gonna bow out of this one, now, I think, because I can't think of any sort of reasoned argument that will overcome that sort of blinkered thinking.

L&P

BD

Edited by baddad

Baddad I grew up with Dobermann and still have one now and have never known one to turn yet. That doesnt mean to say they wont and if it did it wouldnt be nice but its Rottweilers and not Dobermann with a bad name.

Dobermann are used as Army dogs due to their intellect and are (if brought up/trained/treated) in the correct way they are in fact one of the most gentle breeds.

Just wanted to get that in since you are classing them in the same catagory as a known "Dangerous dog" which is banned. Dobermann are not illegal!

On a side note I too would be scared if one was coming after me just as I would when a Jack Russell bares its teeth!

Edited by minerva

Baddad I grew up with Dobermann and still have one now and have never known one to turn yet. That doesnt mean to say they wont and if it did it wouldnt be nice but its Rottweilers and not Dobermann with a bad name.

Dobermann are used as Army dogs due to their intellect and are (if brought up/trained/treated) in the correct way they are in fact one of the most gentle breeds.

Just wanted to get that in since you are classing them in the same catagory as a known "Dangerous dog" which is banned. Dobermann are not illegal!

On a side note I too would be scared if one was coming after me just as I would when a Jack Russell bares its teeth!

Hi minerva - just did a quick search to see if an apology was in order... The very first 'hit' (a 'dobermann friendly' site) mentions the concerns I raised with this breed. Honeslty, I do accept that a very well trained dog with a responsible owner is far less likely to be dangerous etc, but it's the physical characteristic that make it dangerous (much like German Shepherd's, in fact, as I referred to in the story above about the police trainer) as well as the other considerations mentioned here:

Doggy do's (and don'ts) :)

particularly the last three paragraphs.

L&P

Hi I think I mostly agree with baddad (seems to happen alot)I grew up in South Africa and we always had dogs, cats birds etc. The major difference with here and there is there is loads of land there,the average garden there is approx.5 times the size of an average garden here,so people tend to only take there dogs for walks once a month because the have space to run around.Personally I would not have a big dog in my tiny garden I think it is cruel, and I love dogs! Also I would never have a dog in my house (controversial I know) but dogs are generally speaking for protection,yes they are "family members " but they are ANIMALS people should always take priority.Not to mention no matter how clean your dog is there are many health problems associated with animals living indoors.Sorry a bit off topic!I do think ALL dogs should be on leads you never know what can aggrevate a dog and a dog as I said is there to protect its owner if its outside and views someone as a "threat" they will attack they are not going to stop and think "oh this is a child best not bite them" This happened with my dog,she (german shephard) attacked a man in a park once he had a knife which she could obviousley sense but we could have still got prosecuted if he was seriousley hurt,another thing again little off topic,I notice most people who keep their dogs off leads do not pick up there mess because the dog can do it out of their sight,It is most annoying,it goes on the wheels of my pushchair and I bring that into the home where my kids lay and play YUCK!!!I must say there are many people where I live with dogs off leads generally they are just lovely and when they see the kids coming they call them to their side until we have passed by.As for who ever said that a girl was "stupid" for crossing the road when she was walking her puppy this is very incensitive do you know if she had been bitten before?this gives people a fear and they dont see a puppy they just see DOG=BITE.My AS son is very fearful of dogs and we were chased home three weeks ago by a dog all the way home (1/2 mile) it was very scary even for me,my son didnt ven want to leave the house the next day because he feared it would be waiting.

Hi minerva - just did a quick search to see if an apology was in order... The very first 'hit' (a 'dobermann friendly' site) mentions the concerns I raised with this breed. Honeslty, I do accept that a very well trained dog with a responsible owner is far less likely to be dangerous etc, but it's the physical characteristic that make it dangerous (much like German Shepherd's, in fact, as I referred to in the story above about the police trainer) as well as the other considerations mentioned here:

Doggy do's (and don'ts) :)

particularly the last three paragraphs.

L&P

I didnt say they couldnt be dangerous, I said the breed itself isnt and it does quote that in the page that you posted

Dobes are great companions. People should not be getting the Dobe for the purpose of scaring his/her neighbors or their dogs. If that is the case, you will find it extremely difficult to find an Australian breeder that will allow you to own one of their Dobes. You possess an animal that can become dangerous in the wrong hands, yours. Just like a mishandled weapon, it's not the gun that kills, it is the mentality behind it.

They are very dominant animals and definately need to know their place. But are the most dedicated and loving of dogs when brought up correctly, as I stated in my original post.

ANY breed of dog is dangerous when brought up to be.......some dogs just have the power to cause more damage when it happens.

If someone is irrationally phobic of heights or spiders etc, you wouldn't demand that all buildings become one story, or we round up all the spiders, you would tell the affected people to use some kind of therapy to overcome their phobia, x

Edited by lisac

Blimey - opened a can of worms there, didn't I :hypno:

I shan't enter the debate about dangerous dog breeds etc. as these are definitely not defined as a dangerours breed. However, I will say that this was not in a park or open space - it was on a normal residential street, and yes I do think all dogs should be on a lead in this kind of area. OK so they didn't bite my son, and probably wouldn't have done (I don't think you can ever be sure), but they were barking and growling aggressivly, and running around his legs, and he was scared out of his wits. Added to that, she really didn't care. I have seen her around the village and I have never seen them on a lead - they run up and down the pavements and across the roads, so it would be better for their sakes to be on a lead, too.

Edited to add that DS does not have a fear of dogs - in fact, he absolutely loves them.

Edited by NickyB

Nicky I agree with you 100%, thats why I originally wrote that I wouldnt have let my dog off the lead at all when I first got him due to his bad behaviour even though it wasnt even aggression in his case, I dont even like dogs jumping up at me so would never like him to do that to someone else, especially a small child.

I think anyone that ignores or condones aggressive behaviour in ANY dog should be put down themselves LOL well maybe not literally but I think if they thought they would be made responsible it may make them think twice about having a dog when they cant control it.

Bring back the good old days when everyone had to have a dog license thats what I say!!

If I was you I would have definately reported her to the police. If she had been apologetic and it was seen to be unexpected or dealt with in an appropriate manner I may have felt differently, but she isnt likely to go home and think about the way she is with her dogs, more likely to continue thinking you/your child are to blame.

Ignorance is a terrible thing :wallbash:

If someone is irrationally phobic of heights or spiders etc, you wouldn't demand that all buildings become one story, or we round up all the spiders, you would tell the affected people to use some kind of therapy to overcome their phobia, x

This is like comparing apples to oranges what you are saying makes little sense.At the end of the day people who have a fear oF spiders or heights can have control over the sitation,you can avoid or simply kill a spider,you would not even need to go near it just use a spray.As for heights one can as you mention develop techniques through councelling tp deal with the problem this does not mean they no longer havea phobia it can often take years o deal with.I was bitten by a dog as a child through no fault of mine I overcame my fears quickly but personally know people who have never no matter how much help they get thisdoes not make them stupid as yousaid about the girl,and also how did/would her crossing the street or even running from your dog make the dog aggressive?I just think like I said if you been through that and you spot a dog off the lead as a human all we think is to run from the animal even if thats the wrong thing to do as with most animals,so I dont think we should call such people idiots.People who abuse animals are neglect animals are the ones you can label stupid and idiots.

I sincerely hope they would caution you for wasting valuable police time, especially in a park , x

What happens is the police take a statement and if you can identify the owner of the dog, they will interview them and give them a warning which for most people is enough to make them think about keeping their dog under proper control.

It is unlikely to lead to a prosecution if no one is hurt as it would be your word against theirs. But if they keep getting reports about the same dog then it is likely to go further.

We have just returned from a break on a beach in West Wales. We have a little mini schnauzer who I always keep on lead as soon as I see anyone approaching. I was shocked at the amount of people who felt it was okay to have there dogs charging around the beach. My son is terrified of strange dogs running up to him and will scream and flap which alarms the dog and we worry about him being bitten. We had to spend all our time on dog alert and got thoroughly fed up of people yelling "its okay he wont bite".

There will always be irrational people. Like one stupid girl who ran into the middle of the road when i was walking our labrador (then just 4 months old!) down the pavement. There will always be idiots who who completely over react and as a result put themselves and others in danger

I really find comment offensive - my daughter had a real fear of dogs when she was younger - she is better now but still extremely weary. She couldn't help her anxiety over that fear - and it wasn't just dogs it was also flies (which yes I completely am aware these cannot be controlled by a lead) - but nevertheless it was a real real fear for her and yes if a dog came bounding she would run - she would not be aware of her surroundings because of that fear and yes would have run into the road if that was the route to escape - something which I've been led to believe is due partly because of her asd - if she had run into the middle of the road when something like that had happened it would not make her 'stupid' or an 'idiot'.

My daughter doesn't come on this site very often but I know if she read this and knew what she would have done had that happened - being called 'stupid' or an 'idiot' for reacting like that would really really upset her.

I

I am one of those irrational, stupid idiots who overreact and put other people in danger. When people say things like this to me, it doesn't make me less scared of the dogs. It just makes me scared of the owners too because I fear they may be as aggressive as their dogs.

My fear of dogs is not some irrational thing I dreamed up. It resulted after one bit me in a completely unprovoked incident (I was standing still in a queue). The owner shouted at me. I was two.

When the child ran into the road, did your dog follow?

How do you know that the stupid, irrational people who your dog chases might not do something stupid and irrational like turn round and attack your dog?

By allowing your dog to chase people, you are putting YOUR DOG at risk. Why would someone who cares about dogs do this?

I have to say that I am the owner of a rather large labradoodle who has a wonderful nature but is very excitable. I never let him off the lead in residential areas, or even parks where I know kids are apt to be playing because I worry that he'll run after them and knock them down when he (invariably!) jumps up to greet them. He could do enough damage to someone that way, never mind the fact that ANY dog on earth has the capacity to attack with intent to harm. As many have already said, dogs are animals and may read certain actions, noises etc as threats....... So I have to say that I don't think dog-owners should consider all park-type areas as an area where they instantly have a right to let their dogs off the lead either- there are country parks, specified dog-walking trails, park areas generally accepted as dog-walking areas...or even certain times of day/evening when it's more suitable to let your dog off the lead.

I like dogs, but it still annoys me hugely to have someone else's dog come bounding over and jump up on me. I get very embarrassed if our own dog does it- which is why we constantly scan ahead and get him back on the lead if we see someone else coming our way. I can't apologise enough if he does bound off after someone- he needs exercise, yes, but he does not have the right to terrify people. Phobias aren't stupid- they may not be based in rationality but then, who expects a phobia to be rational?

And yes, it irritates the lie out of me when other dog owners don't pick up their dogs' mess- its a huge problem in our area. No excuse is acceptable, IMO.

So restrict all dogs because you got attacked once?

You are more likely to be attacked by another human being than a dog .

I'm sorry, but this sort of attitude really gets to me. The fact he hasn't bitten doesn't mean he won't bite/attack plus why should I/others have to be put up with being chased/annoyed by a dog when I've done nothing to make it come to me. If it can't stay with its owner then it should be on a lead. I think it's very inconsiderate thinking it's ok for your dog to upset people just because it hopefully doesn't physically hurt. :(

I absolutely agree Mumble.

Also it is not just about being bitten. It's about being frightened, possibly due to not understanding dog body language, but in my youngest son's case, he never thought a dog might bite him - he was terrified it might lick him. That may sound silly but it was a real and terrifying fear for him.

It is obvious that some dog owner just don't get it. That not every one has the view that dogs can do no harm.

If I walk down the road behaving in an aggressive way or carrying offensive weapons (a set of sharp teeth and claws) it would be likely I would be arrested.

Lisa

I am very disappointed by your attitude to this subject.

If I am scared of heights I can choose to live in a bungalow or ground floor flat and not go places where I have to go up high, or indeed yes I can get psychological therapy to overcome it. If I am scared of spiders I can get someone else to deal with them (my son!).

But if I am scared of dogs off the lead and they are running towards me, I cannot avoid them can I, and the only person who can 'deal with them' is the owner.

If I am choking on someone else's cigarette smoke, is it my fault for being 'stupid' enough to breathe it in?

My mum has never been scared of dogs but recently her neighbour let her very big dog out to run round the close (as she always does, and never takes it for walk). The dog ran towards her as it had done many times, it ran round her legs to the back of her and she expected it to just run right round her as it had done many times, but instead it bit her on the back of the leg. My mum is 86 and couldn't have done anything 'stupid' or 'idiotic' like run away even if she had wanted to. The police said if it had been a small child the dog would have been biting at neck level and it could have been very serious indeed.

There are no guarantees with any dog and, as with small children, there should be consideration for others and a degree of control employed towards them.

Not a very helpful response, Lisa.

I think this discussion has now run its course.

Thread closed.

Kathryn