robert7111a

Alcohol poisoning - has anyone been this stupid?

I suffered badly last night after stupidly not eating enough whilst out drinking with my family and parents. I vomited lots last night and fell unconcious. And to make things worse, I didn't get the sleep I wanted as we stayed in a motel and got woken up at 6 this morning with staff banging doors and generally making too much noise.

I was very hypoglaemic first thing but felt slightly better after eggs on toast and tea for breakfast, but I have gone through today alternating between feeling really ill and kinda ok. Have been rehydrating lots throughout the day, had lunch and managed about an hours sleep this afternoon.

I really feel kinda stupid/embarrassed and know I should have known better. Just that one drink too many without any non-alcoholic drinks in between. Not a good example towards my daughter....

Oooh yes!! Thankfully not for some time though. I always alternate alcohol and water/soft drink now and if I haven't done it enough I drink a good lot of water before I go to bed. I get what I call 'delayed hangovers' which is feeling not too bad initially and feeling progressively more ill throughout the day. I'd rather avoid that if at all possible.

Don't beat yourself up - you're allowed a mistake now and again. Hope you are feeling a bit better now. NB. Do not drink Irn Bru as a hangover remedy (some Scots swear by this :lol: ) - I lost a job through doing this!! :rolleyes:

i got drunk once when i was 17, im nearly 22 and havent drunk since, why would i want to pay good money to feel like ive just been spun round on a merry go round at 100mph, hit in the head with a shovel after every revolution, swallowed 12 ghost peppers, and to have my stomach feel like a washing machine on a fast spin? im not a stranger to the odd shot of absenthe, rum, tequilla or a pint of guniness, but only on very special or rare occasions, i treat my body with respect and so should everybody else.

and your daugther will think your a legend, beacuse in a girls eyes daddy will always a hero. bit different with sons though, a son will use it against you in a futre argument and will bring it up at awkward times.

Many times, including being stomach pumped in hospital. Learning experiences need not always be pleasant. I guess the big question Robert is did you learn from it, it sounds like you did, it's pity some of us myself included are not that bright.

The worst thing was - my parents, my daughter and my wife having to deal with such an embarrassing (and unecessary) situation. I could have ended up in hospital

And of course, I should have known better. I just forgot on the night that I have been eating less these last few weeks which should have meant an concomicant reduction in alcohol.

But they can all see the funny side now and tell me they've all been there (daughter excepted of course!)

Yes!

I did this during the Millenium celebrations - my friends got me drinking spirits, wine, cider, beer, etc and I paid the ultimate price for the next 48 hours not to mention the sight of my parents when they returned before the end of the following day to find me totally out of it and throwing up everywhere.

Once was enough and then thankfully milleniums only come round once every 1000 years any way, LOL!

I can actually imagine that I have at some point poisoned myself with alcohol. I've never been to hospital due to alcohol, but I had been seriously inebriated on some notable occasions. I have an excellent skill of not appearing to be too drunk in front of other people.

Happended to me more than once when forced into a social situation.

I found that as I could not join/follow/was disinterested in the conversation, I drank at 4 times the speed of others and was consuming 4 pints to their one.

Even worse now there is a smoking ban in the pubs!

I always get the embarrassing cringes the day after the night before and I've done some stupid things to warrant it.

I am the same. Even if I haven't done anything stupid that I remember, I get the embarrassed cringes simply due to the fact that I got so drunk.

My parents got me drunk at 14 to 'teach me how to control my drink'. i was so upset by the experience i tried to kill myself

with anti malarial tablets.

i have only 1 or a 1/2 of cider when i am out, im not really into other types of drinks, but have to watch sulphites as they can

affect my behaviour.

Yow Yow Yow mofos

I'm a absolute devil when I'm on the vodka yeah you get me. My drinking friend and myself always end up flighting, innit. This one time we where drinking all night and wanted some more vodka at 8am in the morning so walked to Asda and ended up fighting in the supermarket, the police was called and we were both arrested innit man. That was properly the worst I've ever been on it, innit.

Edited by phantom sneeze

I once got proper alcohol poisoning. I was twenty, had never drunk more than a sip of wine, and didn't really know the effects of alcohol.... I figured that because everyone used it, it was similar to squash or something, so I drank a LOT.

Hell, did I regret that! :lol:

Puked all over my friend's toilet, I was shivering, cold and hot, couldn't stand, and it took me three days to recover. Never again!

I drank a whole bottle of ouzo when I was 15. For those who don't know ouzo its a particularly powerful greek spirit that can destroy even the most hardened of drinkers let alone a teenager who had never touched a drop in his life.

I had to receive an adrenaline shot. Three guesses where.

Does that count?

My brother (AS but undiagnosed) died of acute alcoholic poisoning - someone gave him a bottle of whiskey for Christmas so he drank the lot there and then, fell asleep in a park and died

So be careful

Puffin thanks for keeping things in context, without doubt alcohol is the most dangerous drug in our society if you were to look at the number of lives it destroys. Both those that inappropriatly use it, and that has included me at times, and just as importantly those who have to live with the consequences of these peoples actions.

my father is a huge binge drinker, he drinks special brew and diamond white like its water. he,ll go on binges for up to a week and not drink for sometime after. but his love for alchool has cost him his wife (my mother) my respect, his health, and almost his life. a few years ago he woke up one day and threw up about a pint of blood. (his bowel had twisted and had ruptured) he was sent to hospital in the back of an ambulance and underwent 3 major surgerys to clear the block and un twist his bowel. he was in intensive care for 2 weeks and then was on a colostomy bag for a year. i rember getting a call from the doctor saying he was touch and go and had a 50% survival rate.

enough to make anybody stop drinking right? nope not my father.

his father (my grandfather) was the same, he diddnt know he had prostate cancer beacuse with all the drink it would numb the pain, he diddnt know he was in touble until it was too late and he died shortley after. he would always say to my mum, give me a grandson, well he got one (me) and beacuse of his alchool abuse, he passed away before i was 9, and never got to know me.

i hate alchool, its ruined alot of my familly members and has had an indirect effect on my life. i will never get drunk ever. i only have the odd guinness beacuse i like the taste.

Edited by A-S warrior

Alcohol cost my father not only his life but everything he worked hard for, diagnosed with alcohol related dementia at 66 he slowly deteriorated and placed into a care home, he had to sell his home to pay for the care costs until near the end when he needed nursing care then social services payed, but there was nothing left for his children by then, innit mofos.

My 'dad' loved his drink more than his family and died because of his drinking and smoking addiction.

My 'mum' insists he was wonderful and helped a lot of people because she is taken in by his stories.

She even got drunk when I was 18 denied I was a human being, got violent with me and frightened my

sister so much she rang Gran to take us away for the night. It took a number of years before I (naively)

considered going back there. 'Mum' was drinking and driving at one point so I refused to babysit for her

friends child, whether she will do it again is beyond me.

A friend of mine has suggested I drink to forget my problems, but that's how someone becomes an alcoholic

by drinking because something has upset them.

An ex friend of mine got so drunk he kept ringing and texting me in the middle of the night. Ex lovers have done

the same gotten drunk then shouted at me down the phone.

I socially drink, i wouldn't try a drop of alcohol on my own and wouldn't if I was stressed or to forget my stresses.

i have to be careful and stick to 1 or a 1/2 depending what time I am driving home that night. It takes 1 unit of

alcohol 1 hour to leave the body, so therefore 1 pt, = about 3 units (I ask the pub server beforehand) so it would take

3 hours to leave the body. A police officer told us to stick to this rule when we had a class on alcohol in year 9.

I should think most adults have done that from time to time and I know I have on numerous occasions, but eventually it got through to me, don't mix your drinks. Age is also a factor too, as we age we seem less tolerant of the stuff, well I do at least as I never vomit through drinking, I stay drunk until it wears off which can be days sometimes. But these days I seem to have developed a penchant for milk shake and I did do it down the pub, I asked them if they could sell me a pint of milkshake as I find that far more refreshing than beer sometimes, especially vanilla milkshake with a dollop of ice cream in the bottom and whisked to a froth nice and cold from the fridge.

But something for the future perhaps, do you know those 1000mg effervescent vitamin C tablets one can get most places now, the £1 shop being the best location for obvious reasons, well when you know you have over done it a pint of fizzing vitamin c starts the reverse and a pint before bed time and one on arising usually works well. Also banana because of the potassium in it helps with the process.

But of the 1000mg vit c tablets, our RDA is about 4g a day, so go for it and overdose just irritates the stomach.