Special_talent123

Changing 'Disability to Diverse Ability'

I want to let everyone know, and what your opinions is as well - which I am going to speak to the young ambassadors group about changing the word 'disability to diverse ability'. A young lady in British Columbia who had cerebral palsy set up an organisation called 'diverse abilities'- in which Canada is using.

I propose to change disabilities to diverse abilities because we want to be accepted for who we are, what our goals, achievements, ambitions are rather than see us as the label and that we cannot do things in which prevents us a barrier in accessing paid work, mainstream college courses due to stereotyping us because we are disabled. We are all diverse, not one of us is the same? We all have something we are good at, even if you think you havent I am pretty sure you will find it in your life for me its singing, drawing dolphins. We rather we be seen for what we can do, not what we cannot do. Unfornately a lot of work down where I am as soon as you disclose your disabled they do not want to know such as 'new look'. So I propose to change this.

So what is everyones opinions on here?

I will also get peoples opinions from my young ambassadors group, and have a vote on getting the government to change the label. I spoken to a few others like volunteers that on helplines and they said to me that they like the sound of diverse abilities because its seen as a positive and whereas disability is seen as a negative

I think the reality is that no one label will be a good fit for all individuals. I can see where you are coming from Special-Talent on this one, the last thing I would ever describe myself as would be 'disabled'.

My real concern in the current climate is that there is a definate move from central government to move towards a postion where the presumption is that we are all 'able', the question is able to do what? It is concievable that the term 'diverse ability' could be a convenient change of focus to say many sections of our community are now able to live fully independent lives even if they are a bit 'different' and as such are not in need of support which is currently in place. Whilst I do not like the term 'disability' I do feel it is a concept which has some meaning in society, it has an historical and cultural precident.

My honest gut reaction is we need to continue to work on changing attitudes regarding disability and what it means and what it doesn't mean. If there is an issue it is that to many conditions such as Asperger's, something I have a diagnosis for are refered to as a disability, which it is not. What I would not personaly want to do is support a label such as 'diverse ability' if it was then stretched across existing boundaries and used as a means of reducing support for individuals whose needs are far greater than mine, and that is something which I could easily see happening in the current political climate.

Just my personal thoughts, like you Special I am interested to hear other peoples points of view. An interesting idea and one we should be talking about.

Best wishes.

I think the word "disability" has too much meaning - both useful and negative...

I think that time would be better invested in educating the ignorant and implementing new stuff that gives people with disabilities a fair chance...

The problem is that in terms of autism, a lot of people don't like the word... also AS can be unseen by many, whereas someone with a physical (or more obvious) disability can still be discriminated against cuz people can see that "disability" and then still judge a person on their body rather than their self and their mind... and that is why there should be legal stuff in place to give everyone a fair chance in life (whether people want help, work, education or they just wanna live like anyone else and get on with their lives without judgement).

Plus, in a practical nature, the term "diverse ability" does not help - think of car parking - we all know what the disabled parking bays look like - but if they were called "diverse ability bays" then I could imagine all sorts of idiots parking there (enough do as it is cuz they are lazy).

And things like places who have disabled access - again - something that we all know what it means - even if we don't like the word... There are some people with physical disabilities that actually don't mind the word - I guess it depends what connotations it holds for each person. Either way, I don't think the words "diverse ability" provide a definition that applies for everyone.

Edited by darkshine

Yow whats up innit.

I think if you change the definition of disabled how long would it take before the word becomes another prejudiced word like some words back in the 80s, yeah you get me?

well canada is using it, and so is british columbia. We shouldnt focus negatively on our label.... yes i get what you mean lancs but there are still some people out there that can do things with support. But we have to find our inner self. we are us, we are all diverse

My worry with removing the word disability is that it could result in a reduction in help for many people. My son is fabulous and is achieving lots, but there is no disputing the fact that he is disabled by his conditions (autism, hypotonia, hypermobility and developmental delay), there's no getting around that. It's not diversely able - there are somethings that he just can't do. We don't see him as his label though, we see him for the boy that he is.

Lynne

So are we talking about learning disability, autism, or any/every other disability?

Cuz I'm not being funny but there are people who are severely disabled who need help and stuff and that word is what makes other people have some essence of understanding (however minimal).

my friend has replied on a status- so i am going to cut and paste what she is trying to say

feline woman

kirsty is right it's all about respecting those on the autistic spectrum, being supportive of the positive things they can do and the qualities of who they are and respect there feelings and qualities they have for being passionate advocates going out there and raising awareness of autism.

Add comment

Although I agree that people should be treated with respect (including people on the spectrum) and I agree that people should be more positive about disability, autism etc - that doesn't answer my question about "diverse ability" being applied to autism, learning disabilities, or any other kind of disability...

And that makes a massive difference to what we are talking about here - if it's about autism, well that's technically a disorder or condition... although it does have disabling effects...

If it's about ALL disabilities then I don't think that would make sense.

And I don't mean to be offensive - but "diverse ability" doesn't say anything at all - everybody could have diverse abilities - but some people who are disabled do not, some people have a very limited range of ability, some people can't communicate at all... for example

Isn't the whole thing about having a disability - as a label - well isn't it there to tell people exactly what problem, health issue, or difficulty a person has?

Edited by darkshine

i now have a response to reply from my friend

but i could read - basically, I understand their meaning that they are concerned diverse ability would loose support and resources b/c dis ability provides it based on being unable instead of looking at what needs all humans have in society to be able, even drug addicts need help from our social network umbrella provided by the tax payer through government - hope this helps

Sorry if you think that the topic is getting heated - I'm not meaning to be that way at all :)

I guess I don't understand what you mean, and was trying to understand... which I still don't - but don't worry about it - I'll see if it makes more sense in the day instead of late at night

Best

Darkshine

Edited by darkshine

i think there is a danger of over analising things here special T, to the point that you could burn yourself out. ive been there before when ive belived in something so passionately and then gone over board and said to myself f*** it! i dont care anymore.

so lets say you do mange to change the name of disability, does it change anything? not really. beacuse pepole are still going to see it as a disability regardless.

personally, i think you could be a potentially powerful woman and i think your energy and influence could be used for something more worth while than trying to change the minds of the ignorant pepole. is asd, a-s or autisum a disabillity? i think thats up to the person who has it. do i think it a disability? i think everyone who follows my topics knows i see it as an ability, but to some it a crippling disability. in the grand scheme of things however, its no more a disability than someone who cant stop drinking, or someone who chain smokes, or a person that keeps using the words, totally, litreally, or 'thats so random' excessively in a sentance. everyones disabled when you think hard enough. plus i get tax creadits and dla so ssshhhhhh! lol

Edited by A-S warrior

@darkshine i copied what my friend meant. its not always easy to put into words. its not always easy to interpret on the computer. dont worry. It happens. Its frustrating when i am trying to explain clearer and not being any clearer u get what i mean?

Edited by Special_talent123

@darkshine i copied what my friend meant. its not always easy to put into words. its not always easy to interpret on the computer. dont worry. It happens. Its frustrating when i am trying to explain clearer and not being any clearer u get what i mean?

I do get what what you mean about explaining and it being frustrating - it's ok - it happens to us all at some point :)

Definition of disability = 1. Permanent physical or mental incapacity; 2. Lack of some capacity, preventing action.

Some related synonyms = affliction, complaint, defect, disablement, handicap, impairment, incapacity, infirmity, weakness

Source = Oxford Dictionary.

So as per the idea of changing disability to diverse ability would we also have to change the other words too to:

diverse affliction; diverse complaint; diverse defect; diverse disablement; diverse handicap; diverse impairment; diverse infirmity; diverse weakness

?

but we should not be looking at ourselves us the disabled one, we should be looking at what we can do not the negative and what we cant do. we should not look at the negatives

I don't look at the negatives in my son, we recognise his limitations and try and help him overcome or work around them - I celebrate his achievements everyday, it's easier to look at the positives. It doesn't take away from the fact that he is disabled by his conditions though, autism included. To me, it's semantics, it's how you react to the person that matters rather than the label.

I understand what you are trying to say and think it's the right attitude to have as people should focus on the positives.

Lynne

I am trying to point out because we are diagnosed with a label people the non autistics tend to see us oh we disabled we cant achieve anything, same with work that is something that needs changing peoples perception of how they view us. does this sound clearer now?

I don't consider having Aspergers's as a disability; however, having an injured ankle at present I do see as a disability and I agree with Darkshine when she says:

"And I don't mean to be offensive - but "diverse ability" doesn't say anything at all - everybody could have diverse abilities - but some people who are disabled do not, some people have a very limited range of ability, some people can't communicate at all... for example."

even if you havent found it- you will find your skill you got to think positive not negative. I give u an example my penpal found it difficult to communicate and she found her skill, and she is doing incredibly well- she uses singing to communicate.

Edited by Special_talent123

I agree with you special talent,we should always look at the positives and not the negatives. However I agree with others this may backfire and all help may be withdrawn as one may be seen as "able" when its not always the case.

I have given an example of this on here before....my brother who has had three strokes and has communication and mobility difficulties,has worked most of the time despite his difficulties on top of that he has also done walk/run for charities. Now to us who know him he is disabled but if someone from ATOS(example) were to assess him they may disagree with that based on what he can do rather than what he can't especially if the word disabled was no longer used.

He has even said he fears walking his dog or taking his kids to the park,and he even started a support group which he does'nt want to attend...because although these are positives it can be seen as he is perfectly able and should not be claiming any sorts of benefits or other help.

Just my thoughts though.

I am trying to point out because we are diagnosed with a label people the non autistics tend to see us oh we disabled we cant achieve anything, same with work that is something that needs changing peoples perception of how they view us. does this sound clearer now?

Yeah it sounds clearer... but I still don't think changing the word "disability" is the problem here - it's people's opinions and perceptions and judgements that are the problem - and changing one word to something else just doesn't seem enough (in my opinion).

And as much as I can agree with you and say that there's a whole bunch of people who do have "diverse abilities" - there's also a bunch that do not.

There's also many factors of autism that are disabling - including the label - but it is the label of "autism" that people don't understand and that is where I think the effort should go here - into educating people - if that was done successfully then the word "disability" wouldn't really matter so much.

This is hard enough anyway because autism covers a whole spectrum of difference as opposed to something like bipolar where people can understand quite easily (in comparison). But people judge people on behaviour, on difference, on ability, and it's the lack of knowledge and ignorance that makes people discriminate - if people understand something, and I mean properly understand it, then there's more chance that they will act in more appropriate ways, but they have to be educated first.

I think you are right Darkshine that education is the answer to 99% of our world's problems.

Thanks... even though I was only using a very narrow sample of things as examples, I was thinking of many many more things where the same sort of thing applies :)

Sorry, are we being serious? Look if my spinal cord is severed then the only change is I lose the ability to walk.

Thats not an ability, thats a disability. If that wasn't the case Professor X would be the most powerful mutant of all time because he wouldn't just have the ability of psychic powers but he'd also have the terrifyingly diverse ability of not being able to go for a jog. Its just silly.

Besides couldn't everyone claim to have diverse abilities? As far as I'm aware no-one on this forum has precisely the same skill set. It seems like trading an accurate description of something that effects many lives negatively for an inaccurate and slightly deceptive one simply to avoid feeling inferior. However it is only the people who allow a disability to become to core of who they are that feel that. The people who strive to do well inspite of being aware they are at a disadvantage are the ones who represent humanity at its finest. If you deny their disadvantage then you cheapen what they have achieved.

I do suffer from a disability and I am not ashamed of it, I also have many advantages and I am not ashamed of them either. Both are equally diverse, both must be realistically approached, neither make the whole of who I am.

I don't particularly care what others make of that, why do you?

I have the same. If you want to be seen for what you can do with your skills then display them until they can no longer be denied. Let your skills be your defining mark if that is what you want them to be. Changing a label will not change a thing, it is not a solution. There will always be prejudice, the only thing you can change is how you respond to it when it occurs.

Also I do not consider it to be rude to ask why someone cares as it displays an interest in... well... why you care. What is the reason for labels being such an issue to you? Its a question, nothing more.

Edited by RaphielDrake

the last conversation did sound rude, like 'why do u ever care' that i take to heart. have u even read the whole topic and and the rest of the posts to know what im talking about. My friend clearly stated that it means this

basically, I understand their meaning that they are concerned diverse ability would loose support and resources b/c dis ability provides it based on being unable instead of looking at what needs all humans have in society to be able, even drug addicts need help from our social network umbrella provided by the tax payer through government - hope this helps

ask

also i have an example I was told I am not read i have a learning disability- that is predijuce not seeing me for what i can do, not see me for who i am but the label. I am sorry your not understanding

i am neutral on the subject of whether to change the term 'disability' to 'diverse ability'.

i am totally against being called a person with xyz condition. Blue eyes is a condition

autism is anything but a condition.

i am disabled by societal prejudices and by the people who really are rude, cheeky,

narrow minded, stupid, sarcastic, uncaring and any other negative labels that society

wishes to throw at people.

Until society asks why someone does xyz behaviour then autistics are likely to be subject to hate crimes and bullying.

When someone is nasty to me i hate being autistic and everything it stands for in a negative way.

Please avoid calling me 'someone with a disability/diverse ability'. i am a diverse person in the neurodiverse

sense of the term. i am autistic, dyslexic and all the other disabilities mentioned in my signature.

i am also a graduate, a sister, an aunty, a cross stitcher, a football fan, a star trek fan, a music fan and a

speaker on autism and other disabilities.

RD is asking why you wish to change the term 'disability' to 'diverse ability'. i have just googled the term

(something I normally do when I'm stuck) and discovered a number of websites under the term 'diverse abilities'

http://www.diverseabilitiesplus.org.uk/

Dictionary definition

di·ver·si·ty

   [dih-vur-si-tee, dahy-] Show IPA

noun, plural di·ver·si·ties.

the state or fact of being diverse; difference; unlikeness.

variety; multiformity.

a point of difference.

There is a dance group called 'diversity' https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=diversity+dance+group&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=0po&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=IMU6UIKNCqKt0QXBuoGYAw&ved=0CDkQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=845

http://www.abilities.ca/work_money/2010/12/08/td_bank_financial_group_diversity_matters/

What ST is asking "shall we follow the idea set up in Canada to change the term 'disability' into 'diverse ability'? "

the last conversation did sound rude, like 'why do u ever care' that i take to heart. have u even read the whole topic and and the rest of the posts to know what im talking about. My friend clearly stated that it means this

basically, I understand their meaning that they are concerned diverse ability would loose support and resources b/c dis ability provides it based on being unable instead of looking at what needs all humans have in society to be able, even drug addicts need help from our social network umbrella provided by the tax payer through government - hope this helps

ask

also i have an example I was told I am not read i have a learning disability- that is predijuce not seeing me for what i can do, not see me for who i am but the label. I am sorry your not understanding

What an incredibly condescending and dismissive retort. Yes I have read your original post and the others.

Diverse ability going by its true definition is a misleading thing to call it and the current term is far more accurate. Disability is a fairly broad term that can vary from slight artheritus in the left hand to being a full paraplegic. Either way it is a term that works. What you are suggesting is that we overlook that and change the term for it simply so it is more palatable for those under that term.

Well I am very sorry but that is not a good enough reason. Its not even as though disability is a term that doesn't have subcategories. It does, if that wasn't the case then conditions under the umbrella wouldn't have names and distinct descriptions which they evidently do.

Rebranding disability would have very little effect except diverse ability in about ten years time would have the same negative commentations associated with disability and someone else would call for another pointless rebranding.

Prejudice would survive just the same.

Edited by RaphielDrake

What an incredibly condescending and dismissive retort. Yes I have read your original post and the others.

behave yourself! ive been watching you lad and i dont like your tone.

When anyone discusses politics and especially what to call a term there are bound to be fall outs.

ST said it 'sounded rude' instead of accusing you of being rude. I can 'sound sarcastic' without meaning to,

Lets take the term queer as an example. The folk it was against (homosexuals) have turned the term on it's head

and reclaimed it for themselves. Gender queer is now a term used for folks who are a non binary gender ie neither

male nor female;

"

Genderqueer (GQ; alternatively non-binary) is a catch-all term for gender identities other than man and woman, thus outside of the gender binary and cisnormativity.[1] People who identify as genderqueer may think of themselves as one or more of the following:

• both man and woman (bigender, pangender);
  • neither man nor woman (genderless, agender);
  • moving between genders (genderfluid);[2]
  • third gender or other-gendered; includes those who do not place a name to their gender;[3]
  • having an overlap of, or blurred lines between, gender identity and sexual and romantic orientation.[4][5]"

(taken from wikipedia)

Some homosexuals are fine with being called gay in certain contexts. Others prefer to be referred to as a different identity.

Wendy Lawson mentioned 'diffability' a term widely used in Australia.

http://www.mydiffability.com.au/

Personally i prefer to be called disabled, avoid calling me someone with a condition if you can. Also i am fine with being cvalled

autistic, or dyslexic or bendy or any other term that i happen to be, a depressive is another term.

We are talking about a grey area what to we prefer to be referred as by the professionals in health, social services, police etc.