Sign in to follow this  
Suze

Clothing.

I know a lot of kids on the spectrum have sensory problems with clothes, my son does,nt seem to suffer from this much,(although he loves soft fleecy clothes).Today he has worn his rain jacket all day still has it on now and he,s been indoors 6hrs ate his tea in it and everything.I,ve mentioned it to him a few times but the subject angered him so I,ve not pushed it.He does this alot always wears his full school uniform and never took his jumper off in that v.hot weather last week. He always buttons a t-shirt or shirt up to his neck even when it,s not necessary.He also wears the same type/uniform of clothes ie Gap slim fit jeans(hates baggy ones), 2-3 specifiic t-shirts and a thin zip up fleece always zipped to his neck.And he always wears rigger boots/timberlands. On observation whatever he wears has to be completely buttoned or zipped up :ph34r: .He is now sat on the sofa glued to Discovery channel with a thick rain coat on :rolleyes: .I wonder if he,s going to go to bed in it tonight? :lol: Are there any similar Aspies out there?

Suze,

Yes, I can identify with this. My son often wears coats and tops when it isn't really necessary. At Euro Disney when it was 30 degrees, he had a thick fleece on. He arrived home recently on a very hot day with 3 layers and a thick zip up top with a hood! It's his protection/suit of armour, it makes him feel safe and less exposed. I don't have a problem with it. It does make him stand out but he's oblivious and quite happy. :)

Nellie xx

hi clothes for kieran are a complete nightmare, he will only wear the same clothes, all he d wear at one point was them fleece type jogging bottoms until they changed the material slightly, then he went onto the polyester joggers and when they wore into holes i eventually found a pair that he would wear after buying 6 or 7 different pairs adn thet have now about worn out andjust got him a new pair which he hasnt yet tried on, and it doesnt matter what the weather he wil onlywear t shirts and they have to be black and have a logo of some sort on the front or otherwise forget it.He doesnt like to wear ne w clothes either, im sure this is a sensory thing with him but it does prove a chore. lynn

hi koala here kieran would only ever wear tops with no buttons on shirts are a no no dungarees no way only his favorite coat, anything new and it was a big row will only wear hats every now and then,the change over from spring to summer a problem he still wants to wear jeans on a boiling hot day but has improved but cutting down first to long shorts and then to short shorts its all fun and games take care koala.

Interesting! But Patrick is completely the opposite. He feels uncomfortable wearing too much clothing. He doesn't like wearing a jumper, even when it's quite chilly, and given the opportunity he would wear shorts all year. He wears sandals even in the coldest weather. Only if it's raining will he wear his shoes.

He starts high school in September and we know we can't send him in shortd because he will be teased, but it's difficult to find light cotton trousers. We've asked that he be allowed to wear sandals, even though it's against the rules. We'd rather he wore lightweight shoes if we can find any.

Yes my daughter will wear jackets when it's about 80 degrees outside. She has a favourite red cotton one with a hood which she wears all year round. I don't think she likes the feel of sun on her skin.

My sons coat seems to be his invisability coat, he hides in it

If we are out and I haven't put a coat on him he'll sometimes put whatever he is wearing over his head as a hood

He is very sensitive with tags, stitching, seams, zips, buttons, some fabrics, washing powder changes(this is affected by smell aswell as feel) :hypno: come to think of it why do we have to wear clothes, what a nightmare

What comes to my mind is the young man who was shot on the underground. He was wearing a heavy coat and ignored commands to stop.

Why did he run ? I want to know what went wrong.

Am sorry to digress from the topic but it was reading this thread that made me think about this man's actions and the tragic consequences.

wac

We have the opposite problem. DS would much rather have no clothes on at all. Certianly at home! Although we do have to do up his coat and he is obsessional about it either throws a tantrum or refuses to go out of the door if it is undone even if he doens't need it to be. We did have spring/summer change problems because of the fact you don't have to go out with a coat on in summer. He seems to have got used to it now.

Guest flutter

we dont do too bad with clothes,

she does wear things to death tho

and they have to be 2nd hand

especially MINE :wallbash::wallbash:

Ivan has to have zips done up right to the top, also if I'm wearing a zip-up top/jacket it has to be done right up, including pockets! I had to hide all his winter coats recently during the really hot weather and then I start wondering if I'm being cruel by depriving him of the choice of clothes he'd like to wear.

Hi, our son is 6yrs old dx ASD age four,

when he was a toddler he would strip off and his clothes were strewn everywhere, I had to get him dressed numerous times throughout the day :rolleyes:

But now he will not wear T-shirts, has to have long sleeves, and when you take his top of to undress him, he screams for you to quickly put another one on.

When he was at school he was given a costume to wear in a dress rehersal for a play, he did not like the feel of the material, and this totally put him off, he was offered something else to wear, but he did not want to do it after this :(

I did say to them that it might have been better to choose his costume well in advance and not the day before the play ;)

Brook

If we are out and I haven't put a coat on him he'll sometimes put whatever he is wearing over his head as a hood

I've always been the same, I love having my head covered. When I sleep, I have to put the duvet over my head and make a little window so I can still breathe but it's because I feel safe under there, like I'm invincible.

I've always liked things like tents, igloos, little houses, sheds, greenhouses, wendy houses, tree houses. I have this need to buy one of those little PVC greenhouses from Argos (they're half-price at the moment) and lay in it, watching the world outside but feeling safe and protected inside.

As a child, I had a Parka anorak and if I had to wear it, it was always zipped up to the top and I had the hood over my head, again it made me feel safe and secure. I felt both invincible and invisible, like I was a traveller between the worlds and I could go wherever I wanted without being seen.

I also have a thing about tunnels, alleyways, secret passages. There's an old inn near to where I live and it has this little cobbled courtyard and lots of little lanes running to the various places within it, I feel like a highwayman, I can taste history. I also like jumping into piles of leaves, love to lay on grass with my legs and arms in the air and say hello to the sky!

zips, buttons, coats oh and yes.. wellies!!!!

picture it. 27 degrees c. tricky walks into the garden with thick socks, wellies, vest and tshirt, sweatshirt, and raincoat and...................wolly hat!

i think he was on his way to war!

teves got 2 pair of identical trousers he will only wear,also only certain football tops,starting full time school in sept so getting him to wear a uniform will be hard as hes been out school for18 months and he has such an issue with clothes

Hi My son hates too many clothes.he wears t-shirts all year round and will refuse to wear a coat even if raining .His view is he is now immune to cold weather.Wont wear jeans/trousers and has to feel every fabric i buy before wearing.dreading buying uniform for secondary in sept.

Lisa

:):) I am 42, and the other day it were 25 grades, I was wearing my lambs wool sweather and my windjacket too, so I didn't freeze :)

I am shy and timid and like to be well dressed..

My lad hates shorts and will not wear them at all (except, oddly enough for PE - then they are functional so he will wear them).Rest of the time it's joggers, the thicker the better.

He used to have a thing for socks - getting him to take them off was a nightmare, he would wear them all day and all night for years and wear lime green ones with sandles, he wore bright red ones for ages too.

He will only wear a blue school shirt and it has to have the logo on, if they're all in the wash it's a nightmare - needless to say that has only happened once! :wacko:

kieran as a pair of bottoms like all the kids wear, he wears and wears them to death but the elasticated tye up thingy frayed and he couldnt wear them anymore aso had to move on to another pair he wouldnt wear beause i know these were his preffered bottoms i went through hell and high water to get a new cord to fasten them up with yesssss i say to myself nooooooooooooooo he wont wear them now lol cant do right for doing wrong and also seeing that his choice of clothes he will wear are limitedit is very difficult he even goes to bed fully dressed anyone else have this as much as ive tried bought him short pyjamma setc but nope not having any of it and the times we ve nearly come to blows over it. lynn

My little boy has an obsession with socks. Everytime we go shopping, he always likes to make a move to the sock dept. Before, he used to be obsessed with Thomas the tank socks - it used to drive me up the wall. Finally, got this one resolved by putting the socks in a box. he was allowed to see them but not touch them. We also put him in black socks. I sound like a cruel mummy but it did the trick.

He is now allowed to wear pattern socks. He has still got a thing for socks but it is under control now. He also likes to touch feet especially if the person is wearing sandals though this should not be too much of a problem as we live in Edinburgh and there is not usually that much sun anyway!