Sign in to follow this  
jomarie

got a diagnosis this morning

Well had an appt with the paed this morning & even though we're still to see an ed psych, she has given Morgan a diagnosis of Aspergers Syndrome. I have no idea how to begin to describe how I feel, initially I'm relieved because tbh I felt like this process would go on for ages, but as time goes on I'm feeling shell shocked & upset.

I'm always a bit shaky after appointments with Morgan, all of his as tendencies seem to appear with a vengeance in those settings & it always surprises me, it always seems like they are so magnified.

She also sat Morgan done & explained to him that he had AS, which I think got me the most. It was so hard hearing it said out loud to him while I had to be brave. I guess in these situations its a blessing that hes not to good at reading other peoples emotions otherwise he would've noticed how hard it was for me not to cry :tearful:

I'm feeling a bit lost again :unsure:

Hi jomarie,

When Alex was diagnosed we felt the same. You go though every kind of emotion there is, even if you already knew what the doctors were going to say.

Give yourself some time to take everything in. If you feel like crying, cry. It's a normal reaction. As somebody else said on here. Your child is still the same one you had before they were diagnosed.

We're all here for you.

Annie

>:D<<'> >:D<<'>

It's a difficult time after a diagnosis. Relief that you were not going mad, sadness because its not all going to 'go away' , worry for the fuureand overwhelmin feelings of all shapes and sizes.

The thing to hang on to is that you still have the same child you had yesterday, they haven't changed at all, and you still love them just as much. Take your time to come to terms with it, there is no need to rush into anything.

Simon

Edited by mossgrove

Yep i know. We had suspected tom had aspergers all along, but it wasnt till we had the diagnosis that it really hit us. I thinit s cos youre hoping against all odds that its not.

I didnt want to label him either, but really the diagnosis makes no difference to yr lives, it just means u get help (hopefully!), and u can claim any benefits he is entitled to.

:wub:

I am still in the dx process but with every report I have through the post, I know it's getting closer and closer. :( But at the same time, I know he has it and want the whole process to be over if you KWIM!.

I'm sure that by Christmas/New Year, I'll be in your shoes and feeling the way you feel now. It is normal from what I have read. Hang in there ok. >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

I had this 3 weeks ago - I KNEW he had ASD, it was the best possible outcome, but I fell apart when I heard the diagnosis said for the first time. I shocked myself at my reaction.

He is still the same child he was yesterday, you are just better informed to help him now >:D<<'>

Hi Jomarie,

We got my son's official dx three days ago even though we'd known unofficially for ages and been dealing with him as if he had it for god knows how many years! I didn't want to talk about it then because it's so hard to comprehend isn't it? On the one hand I too am relieved but I feel awful too, almost as if by taking it down this route I've now labelled him for life and perhaps I should have left well alone and just let him get on with his life the best way he can.

I know it should make things easier at school and at home and once we tell him (he's 9 - when do you do that - when do they understand what it means and how do you tell them it never goes away - anyone please?) perhaps it may make things easier for him.

I've found the forum just it time thankfully and you can't get me off it at the moment. Why do pschs give you a diagnosis and not offer any follow-up support, this I don't understand?

Where do I go from there, apart from here of course! Thanks for being here folks, and thanks Jomarie for starting up this topic afresh cos it will help so many of us out here in cyberland. I couldn't face putting the reality down in black and white and now I can, although I was willing to talk about everything else on the forum and did fleetingly mention his dx in something else but not intensively.

Daisy

:notworthy:

>:D<<'>

:wub:

I'm new to this site and finding it very useful as my son was diagnosed with aspergers 4 days ago. He's 13 now and was originally diagnosed with adhd 5 years ago. Although it's pretty scarey getting this diagnosis I'm sure it's better to know what you are dealing with. I've already started to look at my son in a different light taking apergers into consideration.

jessie

((((((Jomarie and all those whose children have recently been diagnosed)))))).

It's not easy coming to terms with the fact that your child has a lifelong disorder.it does get easier as time passes.xx

i just wanted to say - i know how you feel. My son was diagnosed with aspergers a couple of months ago. I knew it was coming, i'd been battling for years to get help for him. But once your sitting opposite someone and they say "It's xxxxx" , no matter how hard you've fought for help, the grief (if thats the right word) hits you like a slap around the face. You do get through it, and your little ones life will be so much better with the help and understanding that he needs.

:robbie:

what a brilliant website...both my husband and I were really shocked with the dx ( getting the hang of the jargon here) even although our son had some obvious traits including obsessions, fixations et.c.... his adhd traits are very strong and we just assumed it was that and nothing else !

has anyone any advice, experience on stattera as our son has been taking concerta 56mg and has very poor appetite

jessie :

robbie: :robbie::robbie::robbie::robbie::robbie::robbie::robbie:

:robbie:

what a brilliant website...both my husband and I were really shocked  with the dx ( getting the hang of the jargon here) even although our son had some obvious traits including obsessions, fixations et.c.... his adhd traits are very strong and we just assumed it was that and nothing else !

has anyone any advice, experience on stattera as our son has been taking concerta 56mg  and has very poor appetite

jessie :

robbie:  :robbie:  :robbie:  :robbie:  :robbie:  :robbie:  :robbie:  :robbie:

jessie,I recommend having a look on this forum for the ADHD side:

http://www.addforums.com/forums/index.php?

It's the largest ADD/ADHD forum (and best :D ) on the internet,and they have a board specifically for strattera:

http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=91

Edited by TuX

Wise words Simon and lots of >:D<<'> to everyone with a recent diagnosis.

Jessie,

Welcome to the forum. :) You will find a Jargon Buster in the top right hand corner of the screen.

Nellie xx

:lol::lol::o:o:lol::o:lol::o:lol:

thanks robbie

will check it out. .. we stop for holidays and weekends so that he can catch up........ just know it can't be right when he doesn' eat all day.

thanks again

jessie

:robbie::party::robbie::party: :robb

Hi Jomarie >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

I think we can all pretty much relate to how you are feeling, a rollercoaster of different emotions.

When our son got his dx of ASD three years ago, we strongly suspected it. When we walked out of the hospital myself & husband felt relieved. On the car journey home my mind started to spin :wacko: and as soon as I went round to tell my mum the outcome she opened the door and I burst into tears :crying:

She said the same as many have said "he's still the same little boy he was before we walked into that hospital".

It is alot to deal with emotionally, and you have lots of questions buzzing around your head, also you start to think of their future, but it's not like you are here one day and then in the future the next, each day passes as it always has, and with each one you will gain more understanding, knowledge and the strength to help your son in any way you can, just like you have already been doing.

Take care >:D<<'>

Brook

B)B)B)B)

thanks nellie

I know you have all been through it all

alhtough we have waited 13 years I feel a certain relief to have the dx. I'm sure it will be invaluable for all of us to move on. Like most of you we have known from an early age that things haven't been quite right. Our second son who is 9 has just been such a staight forward experiene which was equally shocking as we were expecting the same again

thankyou so much for your support.

jessie

:robbie::party::robbie::party::robbie:

Hi,

I did the exact same thing as Brook, the minute I walked in the door of my parents' house I cried and cried (could do it now thinking back to how I felt then)

18 months later, I've moved from the grief stage to the 'inform' stage, only today I had to explain to his grandparents why our youngest child was taking great delight from their reaction to him shouting "LITTLE B****R" over and over.

Even six months ago,this scene would have ended with me in tears. I've found that explaining stops me from crying, and makes me feel in control slightly more.

The dx won't go away, but it does stop hurting quite so much, and begins to serve it's purpose.

wac

Edited by waccoe

Let yourself grieve. Take time for yourself. I had counselling which did help. Your child may also be feeling confused. I remember going to the toilet to cry to shield him but he wondered why mummy was so upset. If my child could turn out like eugene id be so happy. My sons dx of adhd also came first at 6 and As at 8. Try www.adders.org.uk. Good luck

Thank you all so much for all your supportive replies!! >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

M was at his dads last night & my mum took my daughter for the night & within an hour or 2 of being without either of them I was totally overcome with grief, my poor dp didn't know what to do for the best. I can't remember the last time I cried so much, i barely stopped for 20 minutes then proceeded to cry on & off for the rest of the night & I have to say I feel much better today having got it all out of my system.. :tearful: