Sign in to follow this  
elaine1

chatroom?

hi wondered if there was a chatroom attached to this forum.it would be nice to chat to someone with similar problems to me. :wub:

that does sound like a good idea elaine

There isn't a chat room as yet but maybe Kris could sort something out.

KRRIIIISS, can you hear me? :lol::devil:

Viper.

ooh sounds like a popular idea :w :devil: ub:

Any of you could set a chatroom(known as channels on IRC) up yourself,download an IRC client,such as:

http://pirchworld.com/pirch/index.php

^For windows users-despite them not saying XP-it works on XP perfectly,I have used it on two different XP systems(home and pro)-download pirch98 as it is the latest.

http://www.xchat.org

^Multi format,but very dependable for linux based OS'.

http://www.ircle.com/

^Exclusively for macs.

Decide on what network,server+port will be used,make sure it works first then post it here for everyone else to use.

The Dal network is the best to use as it allows relaxed rules on registering a channel,

which is free,but some networks will require channels to have over 10 people in regulary to get it registered.

Registering a channel allows better security against bots becoming ops,and also those who aren't wanted to be ops(the staff of channels).

How to use IRC clients:

http://img363.imageshack.us/img363/6020/ircloggingon2zl.jpg

^Logging on,it might not be the same as other irc clients-but they all follow the same princaple

http://img363.imageshack.us/img363/5051/ircss28fu.jpg

The network window,which pops up after logging onto a server,gives information on

own connection,and the network,and it's rules.

http://img363.imageshack.us/img363/5048/ircss37yt.jpg

Showing the correct way to join a channel

http://img358.imageshack.us/img358/5320/ircss40lj.jpg

-Shows the now created channel (chatroom)

Channels must have a hash key at the start- #asdforumchat

The joining command is /join #yourchannelname

and to tell others what oneself is doing: /me is doing something

^Basic commands.

Edited by TuX

Tux, I'll take your word for it. What I just read was

"fdhhv xsguoj vdremn bvj hgff fdsght" etc, it made that much sence to this computer illiterate old codger. :lol:

Viper.

mm same here viper im afraid lol :star:

Tux, I'll take your word for it. What I just read was

"fdhhv xsguoj vdremn bvj hgff fdsght" etc, it made that much sence to this computer illiterate old codger. :lol:

Viper.

mm same here viper im afraid lol starwars.gif

:lol::lol:

Sorry,I should have made it clearer.

Here's the basics:

1)Download an IRC client

2)Install it.

On windows or mac osx,it's just as easy as installing any other program/application,no techy knowledge needed!

3)Once installed,start up the IRC client

4)fill in all nickname boxes(client might not connect if some are left vacant)

5)go to network/server list,click on a server to highlight it,click connect.

6)Providing it has connected,you should now be on the network window-or see a tab for the network window,which can be clicked on to bring it to the front.

7)In the text bar at the bottom,type:

/join #nameofchannelhere

And click enter/return.

That's it,the channel(chatroom) will now be started and it works a lot like a chatroom,except it allows a lot more freedom,plus private chat is available by clicking on the persons nickname.

If anyone wants any help with it,ask. :D It's easier to use once a person is looking at the actual client for themself,rather than just seeing the theory/text side of it.

it's all point and click stuff apart from when needing to join the channel,which is just the simple typing of: /join #nameofchannelhere

If the forum gets it's own embedded chatroom,it will use up bandwith,and if people are connected for a while at the same time,it uses up server processes,some website hosts don't take kindly to the latter especially,all depends whether Krism is privately hosted or not.

Forum chatrooms possibly,might not have administrative controls to banish rule breakers from the chat,whilst IRC does,although forum chat scripts might have changed since I last used one.

Right,I shall shut up before I go on anymore. :robbie:

Or, an msn community could be set up which has a chat room built in as standard.

Or, an msn community could be set up which has a chat room built in as standard.

MSN chat requires java or some other sort of plug in doesn't it?

I might be wrong as I haven't used it in years,but if it requires an extra plug in,it would exclude some users,as not everyone could install it,and as far as I can remember,windows doesn't install it automatically (assuming it's java).

it takes me all my time to log on,which clever person is going to set up the chatroom then?three cheers for Kris!!

Im staring like mad, but theyre all ignoring me lol. I would do it but i dont know one end from the other!!! :notworthy:

IRC is easier than using an offsite chat site,as there are no limitations or registrations needed plus it can be moderated unlike most chatrooms.

Dang, I was hoping you'd forget about me ?_?

should have waited till the morning to post!

Give me half an hour though.

OK you lot.

Having chatted with Elefan and thought the matter thru, we will be adding a chat room facility to the forum in the near future.

Just give me time to create it and have a think about the 'rules' and it will go live.

Watch this space :)

Kris

Kris, what does it feel like being under the weight of so many thumb while being twisted round so many little fingers :lol:

Thanks Kris look forward to chatting.

Viper.

OOH', a chatroom, never been in one of those before, 'do you have to bring your own Tea & bickies', erm, it's not a trick is it to lure us newbies into the 'batcave' :bat:

:lol::lol::lol:

Brook

oooer missus -

A chat room......

scary sturff!!

What's the difference between a chat room and one of those frenzied batcave sessions that occur every now and then?Do you need a microphone? Do you need a webcam? Does that mean I'll have to start wearing clothes at night again? :lol::lol: JOKE!!!

I've seen the future, an i thought it was garlic bread...turns out it's "chatrooms"

Dammit, Janet - I was sold a pup again! ;)

If we have a 'virtual bar' as described by Johnny Vegas on Room 101, please, PLEASE PLEASE put me in charge of the Guinness.

L&P

BD :D

Oh ty, you can all buy me a drink for a fabulous idea lololol :wub::devil::notworthy:

:thumbs::clap::thumbs::clap::thumbs::clap::thumbs::clap::thumbs:

Thank You Kris and Elefan. You are true gems!!! :D :D

On another ASD site I go to, their chatroom is only open on a Sunday evening, well, actually it's open every day but everyone there really makes an effort to go on Sunday night b/c that's when it's at it's busiest! It's great to chat to them (when I remember to go which an't often enough! LOL) but thought I'd let you know as it's something you can consider maybe, you know, have one evening in the week where everyone can join together rather than have it open everyday and no one goes if you KWIM!! ;)

Edited by Tylers-mum