Sign in to follow this  
LKS

My character

In english the class were asked to write a small piece about their character. My son is 11 he has aspergers this is what he wrote.

People have always told me I'm weird but not many of them have anything to back up their statement. I choose to do something often seconds before I do it, I don't really plan many things long term. I'm very shy but I enjoy the company of people I know well and who understand me.I am a very private person and there are many aspects of my life that I do not wish to discuss as I become easily embarrassed. People often think the way I talk is strange, rude or even arrogant, I don't mean it to sound that way but I like to use advanced vocabulary. I think it takes a very long time to get to know me as I am a complex character with many sides to my personality.God I am one proud mum :wub:

Thanks everyone, I think he's great but I'm biased. I think it is very interesting to see how children see themselves. I hope when the english teacher reads this she will realise there is more to him than poor handwriting, disorganisation and difficulty in working in groups !

This letter says so much about your son's personality.I am in the middle of a dilemma,with our son currently starting evaluation,and me wondering at what stage to try and explain to him about our condition,which he knows nothing about (apart from his peculiarities).Your son obviously has a good grasp of what AS is about.You must be very proud,it certainly brought a tear to my eye. :notworthy:

It still brings a lump to my throat every time I read it. It is always difficult to know when or if to tell a child about their dx, but my son was so unhappy at school when he was 7, he was self harming and had had so much time off for, as the doctor said stress related illness that we decided to tell him then. I think it almost came as a relief to him to know why he felt as he did and why he would react to certain things differently. At secondary school I don't think he is telling anyone as he wants the chance to' fit in', but really this will become more of a strain for him as he tries to conform. Will have to wait and see how it all goes!

brilliant B)

out of the mouths of babes! well done you! :wub: