Sign in to follow this  
Helen

A child's school record

A parent is entitled to access their child's school record - unfortunately, I've had to remove certain information as the link from where I obtained it from, mentions a breach of copyright notice.

If you want the link, PM me.

Sorry for the bother everyone :( Helen

Edited by Helen

I've received the OK from our forum's moderators to post the link. The section 'Access to pupils records' refers to parents being able to access their child's file (in part connection with bullying issues).

http://www.bullying.co.uk/

However, a parent can request a copy of their child's records to read/photocopy for other reasons as well.

I had to request Daniel's records when I accidentally found out that the headteacher had put him on the SEN register. I wrote to the chairman of the governing body and demanded to see the records. I received the information from the chairman within 14 working days - no charge for photocopying. All I had were three lousy pages of worthless information - nothing especially to do with Daniel. The headteacher always used an unusual method of filing things away - the bin.

Helen

Edited by Helen

Hi

I got hold of connors school records yeterday and they are useless. :wallbash:

Does anyone know what should be in a school records.

Connor's had all his school reports and some bits of work he had completed over the years, there was no info re IEP meetings or record of needs meetings and no reference to any of the many telephone conversations i have had with school.No records of the many times i have gone into school regarding bullying incidents.and no records of the times i have asked for him to be assesed by psychological services, which of course they refused with platitudes such as "he's a boy they cant multi-task, he'll find his niche when he is ready ect ect blaaaaaaaaablaaaaaaa

Can anyone advise please before i go completely mad :angry:

Tess

oh and i forgot

they didnt even have a record of the incident when connor was on a school trip and had his head bashed into the concrete by another boy.The next day i had him off school because he was vomitting and lethargic, but i had not been informed by the school that anything had happened , it was only two days later when i was brushing connors hair he yellped and i felt the bump on his head, i asked what had happened he told me the story.I informed the school and they said they checked him over and asked if he felt Dizzy , I asked connor if he knew what dizzy meant and he said no.

tess

Tess,

Did you manage to photocopy this information for your own records?

I once had to demand to see my son's school record when he was in primary. The governing body of the school supplied me with photocopies of 3 pages of rubbish which didn't have anything specific to do with my son; this information contained statistics etc. I later used this information against the school, in my complaint against the headteacher.

I suggest you phone ACE or IPSEA for some advice.

Helen

Edited by Helen

Thanks helen,

I am going through a complaint against the whole ed dept including the school , because they have ignored me for such a long time and the ed psych said there was nothing wrong with connor, so everyone believed him.

I have had to privately get connor asessed by an OT ,Speech and lang therapist and a clinical psychologist, its only now that they have accepted the diagnosis, dyspraxia and aspergers.There is still nothing in the school, and i am waiting for records of needs to be completed.Even now the headteacher does not think there is anything wrong with connor, because he is compliant at school. she has to be the most aggravating , patronisisng individual i have ever had to deal with. :wallbash:

I was wondering how you got on with your complaint did it improve things for you and your child?

tess

I was wondering how you got on with your complaint did it improve things for you and your child?

Tess I didn't achieve anything at the time; I tried my damnest but didn't get anywhere - I had evidence against the school and the LEA, but they sided with each other, against me.

I had to remove my son from the school. His new school immediately met his needs and were totally supportive throughout his remaining primary education.

But I did eventually get a result :devil: ...you can follow the link below - it includes my post dated 24th September 2004.

Helen

http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/index.ph...owtopic=853&hl=

That's why it is always best to write a letter to the school summarising every conversation and what was agreed - even better, send it by recorded post so you have a signature of receipt.

I was amazed at what was not put on R's record - even the letter from school threatening exclusion was not on his record (I didn't want it to be,so I didn't make a fuss) - but an incident where R was physically removed from the classroom was not even recorded on an incident sheet, let alone recorded on his record.

I am recording everything that has happened re: R going to secondary school - he has only been there three weeks, and already I have a small file full of stuff.

You can also ask to see the LEA's file on your child - as long as you give them notice (so they can magic away all the awful stuff!!), you can read it on their premises, and ask for photocopies of anything you want. I am sure it would make interesting reading!

Karen

I am recording everything that has happened re: R going to secondary school - he has only been there three weeks, and already I have a small file full of stuff.

Good for you Karen!

I can totally understand your reasons for doing this, Helen

Edited by Helen

if i can give any advice keep everything copy everything write everything down things have a funny way of vanashing even whole school records funny that isnt it when i wanted to see it all of a sudden they couldnt find it and they never did find it :shame:

That happened to us Jen. The school lost Jack's SEN file. I too suspect there wasn't anything in it and the new SENCO told me it probably got thrown away because there were no ongoing concerns! I managed to use this against them. I wrote to the LEA requesting a statutory assessment and made sure they knew in no uncertain terms how angry I was that 7 years worth of Jack's SEN history had disappeared. They would have looked really stupid going to tribunal and trying to explain that they'd lost his file!

Lisa

hi lisa :) isnt it funny when you have a child with sen you soon learn how to fight for the things they need and boy do we get so good at it :devil: well we have to dont we who else will fight for what they need :wub: i had to fight tooth and nail for my son as time wasnt on our side when i filled the form out for my son to be statemented i answered the quetions on A4 paper as i wanted them to know everything about my son and i didnt hold back with my opinions about his treatment in school or should i say lack of it, my husband was gob smacked when he read it first of all it was like a novel it was 15 A4 pages long can you imagine geting that special delivery landing on your desk :o because i thought they wouldnt statement david i wanted them to know everything david had gone through and everything i had gone through and i didnt hold back not one bit,told them exactly what i thought well it must of worked we got everything i wanted and more and my son is getting the help he needs even if it was too many years to late, i do still wonder if he would of got the help he needed at 6 instead of 14 what would it of done for dave i do still feel they robbed him

jenny

Our son is new in his school....can we ask for the reports as well??? There were some incidents recently where Nick got bullied and still gets picked on....will that be in the report as well??

We have written to the head teacher who acted that time, they have a new one now, we never got a letter back....I am very insecure, we just moved back to the UK 7 months ago...its all so new.... :wacko:

Sylv,

You have the right to look through your son's school record, the incidents you speak of should have been logged down in his record.

The links in the previous posts will tell you how you can apply to access your son's record.

Thank you Helen....good to know I can come here and there is help ;)

I am problems with my daughter at school i have been on this forum under school doesnt understand one of you sent me to this section. What is Ace? Does anyone know where i can find out if i am legally allowed to be pressent when my daughter is spoken to by staff at the school especially about the disbute at the moment as school said i am not legaalyy they can legally talk to her with out me as when at school they are the gurdians legally

Hi Elle

You will find details of ACE here.

SEN Support and Information Services, SEN advice, information and support

http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=676

I'm sorry I don't know the answer to your question about staff speaking to your child. I would have thought it depends on what they are talking about. If it is something that concerns the parent then I would think you should be allowed to be present. Sorry I don't know the legalities of this.

Nellie xx

Does anyone know where i can find out if i am legally allowed to be pressent when my daughter is spoken to by staff at the school especially about the disbute at the moment as school said i am not legaalyy they can legally talk to her with out me as when at school they are the gurdians legally

.... have just posted about this on your thread:

http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/index.ph...t=0entry29510

I`d just like to say i am so glad i found this thread ahead of my meeting at school on Monday as i was going to ask to see my sons records but wasn`t sure if i`d be able to...nice one! B)

Nvapid,

Information on a SEN child is normally circulated to the relevant professionals. Have you checked with your LEA to see if it holds a copy of your son's school SEN file within its department?

If your son has had some involvement with the LEA's EP there may be a copy of your son's SEN file within the EP department.

My LEA has kept information on my son from when he was on the SEN stage School Action.

Well I recieved a copy of 11 year old L's school records today, what a joke they are.

He has been in that school since the nursery and has been special needs at school action plus since the start and there is hardly anything there!

Its all copies of reports I have had sent into school by therapists paediatricians etc.

Infact up untill 2002 there is pretty much nothing, then another big gap untill 2004/5 when we requested assessment.

I can see exactly why the EP and SENCO said Luke's records were a mess and full of gaps.