Sign in to follow this  
elaine1

my dad

got aphone call from my brother today to say my dad has colon cancer, we dont speak (long story), but im very sad for him but numb at the same time.

Dont know how to feel really, wierd situation :tearful:

Sorry to hear that - would it be a good time to try to renew the relationship? I know how difficult this can be...

I traced my father this year - he walked out on my mother when I was 18 months old so it was over 40 years - unfortunately he didn't want contact but i did manage to find a brother in the process and we are now keeping in touch.

Been in a similar situation (though the illness wasn't as bad as your dad's) with my mum. We once went 18 months not speaking. A neighbour rang to tell me that she had been taken into hospital in London. We went straight sown to see her that weekend. Talked through the problems and sorted it out. If that is what you want, now would be a good time to test the reaction, perhaps a card to start with if you don't fancy talking directly to begin with.

HTH

It is a hard situation and I really think you must go with what your heart tells you. If thats to ring him doit . if its to send a card do that. Even if he doesnt reply you know you did the right thing. I dont think somepople from the older generation have the emotional capacity to verbalise their feelings because its the way they were brought up.

You do what you feel is right remember its your father who made the decision to go and therefore so long as you are true to your heart and go with your gut feeling you will have nothing to reproach your self with.

I have a similar situation in my family and now how damaging it can be.

Maybe it is time to make peace, only you will know that. Don't leave it, if you think you may regret it later. My thought are with you, I know how hard it can be. >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Nikrix

:wub: Thank you, i will try to ring him I think. will let u know how it went

Can;t even imagine what it must be like for you at the moment, I hope whatever you do helps you through this time, and don't forget we're all here if you need us >:D<<'>

Elaine1, does he have an email address you could get from another family member? My family is very dysfunctional (another long story) and I have not seen my father for 5 years. But over the last year we have talked more by email. Better than a phone call as there can be no long silences but almost as personal. But without the forced intimacy of a visit. It has worked for us and maybe, just maybe, I will go to see him this summer. he too is ill and I am aware that there may be time constraints too. Hope it goes well for you. Love kat

I have not seen my father for thirty years.He has many problems and in some ways it is best left that way .Not sure what i would do in your circumstances though.

Sending some of these to you >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

thanks for all your replies , I think I will write rather than ring, that will give him the option of answering or not.

glad ive got u lot to talk to!

Always! >:D<<'>

I'm so sorry Elaine, writing a letter is a good idea, you then have a captive audience! I hope you can manage to sort something out!

Sending you huge >:D<<'> and :wub:

Hi Elaine, >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Hope that you will find a way to make peace with your Dad. When mine died 24 years ago I had not seen him for nearly 8 months because of some disagreement, I had spoken to him but refused to travel to see him just few months before, my rush to cross France From Britany (where I was working a the time) to Paris and from Paris to Perpignan were he was on Holiday and had an accident did not allow me to see him before he passed away, it took me years to get over it, as no matter how wrong he was I felt horribly upset , I am telling you this because I feel that if your father is suffering or even pass away, it is something which may upset you for very long time, if you do not try to make peace if it is his choice then you cannot force him.

I Hope not to upset you with this post but really sometimes it is not worse keeping old upsetting and even when people are wrong especially our parents we should try to smooth things out for every body sake.

Take care. :wub:>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Malika.

Guest hallyscomet

Hi Elaine,

Our prayers are with you, >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> hope you are okay, be gentle with yourself.

Regards

Hailey

xx