Sign in to follow this  
phasmid

ODD

Hi all,

Just for a change I need some help please. I am looking to find some good UK based information on ODD (stacks of americn stuff as per ususal). I want something to stick under the nose of CDC.

Phasmid - have you tried Google Scholar?

A lot of american stuff again but may be of use - I might have some access to full text articles - depends on what my university subscribes to - let me know if you need any articles and I'll try and access them.

Thanks both. I just wanted someone else to find links to check what I had already found. All the above were very useful. I'll be back in a bit to tell you more. However I have found something as a result of my digging about that may be of interest to anyone struggling to geta statement so I'm going to post this link up first...I'll be back.

What I am after is the evidence I need to present to get a DX for one of my children. We have suspected this for some time. Things are comming to a head and we have done the 'parenting is to blame ' bit with them already. Time for us to trun round and say 'Stuff you - THIS is the problem!' So I need to know what they want to hear. We KNOW we are right - and this is a dx I, for one, do not like hearing, but that is what he has got!

Several people in my area who were diagnosed with ADHD as children now have the ODD diagnosis, most were diagnosed by an adult psychiatrist

Phas - if you follow the link from your 'stumbled upon' thread re DLA AND HAVE A LOOK AT section 36 there's a bit on ODD in there

Stressed mum...if what I am seeing at home is anything to go by then the answer is a great big

YES!

Bearing in mind that we have been looking into the nature of his 'problem' for some considerable time, and my education background combined with SEN expertise this is not a diagnosis we believe he deserves by chance. He has been seen by numerous different people over the last few years and I have had various things thrown at us all of which we have dissmissed as not plausible. We keep comming back to ODD, over and over again. But the behaviour is only present at home, shops friends...anywhere but school! School would like 30 of him to a class - thanks very much (their words, not mine). As much as I have shied away from ODD as a possible dx, and have therefore not suggested it, we are now 100% certain that ODD is what he has. But school have never seen it, friends and relatives have - never school.

ive read up on this a bit

and alot seems to match my son whos 4

he is so diefient at home and out of school

he wont comply with anything i ask of him to do

in fact when told correct facts he states there not true ect......

my area seems quite bad for knowledge on all these matters even as-so i havnt even brought this up yet still on about as and dyspraxia

Oh Phas you have been such a champion for us all I wish I could offer you some help :( Your son has the best fighting for him (both you and mrs. Phasmid)Wishing you all the best

Yep me too, your son could,nt have any one better fighting his corner, hope you get the result you need phas, just wish I could help. >:D<<'>

Thanks for the support people, I appreciate it.

We have sat back and let them do their bit, played the game their way. Well, Monday I'm making a phone call, not at work till Wednesday at the earliest, and they are going to start to listen to us. I have a new mini digital video camera for Christmas to play with, they cannot ignore what we have to say if they can see it. They ARE going to listen to us.

Phas, sorry to butt in also but can you tell me if this can co-exist along with other disorders,

my son has Aspergers,developmental co-ordination disorder,social anxiety disorder which has him out of school and elective mutism .

My husband and I think he also has ODD but have been worried about suggesting this to his psychiatrist (as we don't want to admit it to ourselves).

He just refuses to do anything he does not want to do and everyone just tells us that he is extremely stubborn( thats putting it mildly) due to his rigid thinking because of AS. He usually just does this with us but if pushed with anyone and the unit he has been attending while out of school have been amazed by some of his outbursts and point blank refusal to do certain things. If you try to talk him round you just end up going round in circles.

When he was 12 ( he is 15 in two weeks) his headmaster in primary school thought he had ODD but at that time it was also thought he had ADHD ,Apergers was diagnosed later when we asked for a referral from the guy ( hopeless psychologist) he was seeing.

Again sorry to hi-jack your post but it got my attention.

Let us know howyou get on . Thinking of you >:D<<'>

Thanks Phasmid,

I'm grateful for any opinion . I suppose we'll have to ask psychiatrist about it although after the last visit both the psychiatrist and care worker looked like they were worn out and Im sure they were thinking how on earth we manage him full time! Thing is when he's not digging the heels in he's great fun. Just don't ask him to do anything he doesn't want to!

T

Phasmid,

When I was doing the forum Jargon Buster I had great difficulty finding sites relating to ODD, as you say they were mostly American. I'm not sure if you have already seen it but this is the only one I could find.

http://premium.netdoktor.com/uk/adhd/child...larticle_004656

Cafamily have it on their site too.

http://www.cafamily.org.uk/Direct/c52.html

Nellie xx

Done a bit of digging - looking inside some books on Google Books.. I've added links to the screenshots as the images may be a bit big for a message and I don't want to get the forum in trouble over copyright - although the pages are available via Google books in any case!

Autism Spectrum Disorders: A Research Review for Practitioners

by Sally Ozonoff, Sally J Rogers, Robert L Hendren - Medical - 2003 - 275 pages

http://static.flickr.com/42/83145806_23b23e153d_o.png

Handbook of Neuropsychology: Child Neuropsychology, Part II

by S J Segalowitz, I Rapin - Psychology - 2003

http://static.flickr.com/37/83145807_8cb244b365_o.png

Cognitive Therapy With Children and Adolescents: A Casebook for Clinical Practice

by Cristy Lopez, Gilbert Parra - 2003 - 476 pages

has a case study within it:

http://static.flickr.com/40/83145808_d6be1cf207_o.png

http://static.flickr.com/43/83145809_7dc19c3133_o.png

Thanks for those links, I'll follow them up over the weekend. As I say a telephone call to CDC/Camhs looms on Monday and I'll see what their reaction is and go from there.

Is the WHO a high enough authority? :D

Frequently, this behaviour is most evident in interactions with adults or peers whom the child knows well, and signs of the disorder may not be evident during a clinical interview.

pp212-213, here:

http://www.who.int/classifications/icd/en/bluebook.pdf

Thanks for those links, I'll follow them up over the weekend. As I say a telephone call to CDC/Camhs looms on Monday and I'll see what their reaction is and go from there.

Hope it goes well.

Theresa

I have always considered ODD like a trait of AS. My son is definitely ODD, he does not need a dx :rolleyes: i have always thought that it was a part (considerable one) of his lack of social skills (he has no idea what authority is). Is it really a disorder on its own?

Yes it is. If you have a look on the 'Help and advice' section I posted a thread entitiled 'I stumbled across this - it links to the DLA criteria for ODD.

I am still of the opinion that lately there is an over-diagnosing tendency. I still remain sceptical (I am not a great fan on the DSM & similar.... :(

My son 11 is NT, but he does present with some or maybe all of the factors of ODD. Question can you have ODD without ADHD or ADD. Maybe its his age, but he has always been like it, just worse now.

Apparently yes nikrix, it can be a co-morbid of other things (ASDs/ADHD/ADD and so on or, it can be a 'stand-alone' dx. Read through some of the links above for more info.

HTH

often loses temper

often argues with adults

often actively defies or refuses to comply with adults? requests or rules

often deliberately annoys people

often blames others for his mistakes or misbehaviour

often touchy or easily annoyed by others

often angry and resentful

often spiteful or vindictive.

I would say yes to all these, with his family anyway. I am not sure what he is like at school. Blaming other is the worse, he is always losing things and its never his fault. Temper this is really bad, me and dh can never calm him down. When he is told off,he is very weird, he will go over what has happened (talks to himself) and try to blame us. He screams, crys and will hit out. Hope that make sense, its hard to explain.

Sorry feel like I am keeping on now. He is nearly 12 never had a dx so is it best left alone?

I would not get him to go to a doctor anyway, last time we went, he just sat there and would not answer the nurse, I felt like a right idiot.

Simply look at it this way. If you believe your child might receive help to address the 'problem' (whatever that 'problem' may be) if they were given a dx and, the problem is causing distress or difficulties at home/school or wherever then yes go for a DX. If you can live with it or adjust life around it then, perhaps, there is no need. I guess it all depends on your individual circumstances. In our it IS causing major problems which we feel we/he needs help with. Sorry if that hasn't helped make things any clearer in your mind.

Thanks for your advice Phasmid, I will see what happens. We are having a good day, he is on his comp not geeting disturb, so he is fine at the moment. It will all start up tomorrow morning, me getting the blame for everything, thats him not finding things. I think it will come to the point that I will seek advice, because it depresses me that I can not cope with it. All I do is shout and he just does not listen, I am the bad person, to hin anyway.

Thanks again

Nikrix

My ds is also diagnosed with ODD, in co-junction with his aspergers and dyspraxic tendencies (and dyslexia and diabetes). He is mostly oppositional with me at home, but can be so also wiht other people, especially when more stressed out. At school though they seem to see it more as teenage rebellion and refusal to do as he's told, which doesn't help the situation. At home, as long as he can do what he likes and when he likes and how he likes it and with whom he likes it, he is fine till something else stresses him out. But then, how much is ODD and how much is AS is hard to tell; and when is he simply being a teenager?