Sign in to follow this  
smiley

Quick question for those of you that put in a

Hullo all :D ,

When you put in your parental request for Statutory Asesment how much information did you include?

Do i send a brief outline of my concerns/son's difficulties, or do i throw as much info as i have at them??

Thanks xxxx

Smiley - short answer - throw in as much as you can!

Scrap that, as hector suggests, keep it short and precise. Itemise all your concerns. you can go into more details in your parental rep. when they agree to assess.

Edited by fiorelli

I kept mine clear and concise and followed a guide from the ACE handbook, detailing areas of concern and quoting the COP, the following is a link to IPSEA's website, it has a breakdown of what to do and a model letter that you can download ..

http://www.ipsea.org.uk/sevenfixes.htm#RequestingAssessment

Save the huge amounts of information and evidence you have until your parental rep.

HHxx

massive agreement - i sent in B's dx and when they got the EP report they made the decision straight away - before the 29 day limit, so we could not answer the ep report or provide further documentation. we have fought it, and had the decision put off, but they had still made up their minds.

Smiley,

I'm middle of the road. Not throw in as much a you can, but you must give enough evidence to ensure they carry out the statutory assessment. This link gives information on Stat. Assessment. and the evidence the LEA will be looking for. http://www.nas.org.uk/nas/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=303&a=3232

HH is correct the ACE book has a great guide. You did get this book, didn't you!!??

Nellie xx

:thumbs: The actual request for my son's assessment was made via a solicitor (had to by-pass school) but then my parental rep covered 90 whole pages :P .... it was a lot of work, but I have been told by someone on the 'inside' that they would not have passed on to Stage Two if I hadn't done that, they needed the info as school didn't see that there was much of a problem :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash: they still don't... :crying:

Hmm - our LEA took our simple and basic outline that we provided with our request for assessment as our parental representation :( ... didn't realise until later that we should have had a chance to say more - our LEA skipped that bit and we were not as much on the ball or street savvy as we are now ... :( and - as the school were not backing our request - we got turned down for the statutory assessment.

so ... I would suggest that, if you do go the concise route in the first instance, you make it clear that you are providing a concise summary of your concerns/son's difficulties and that you have more evidence and information to provide for them.

That way if they were to do something similar to you you would have it in writing that there was more evidence ... I used to be so trusting ... :(

God MotherEve this sounds positively illegal. But surely an LEA would not do something so underhand :whistle:With my son the school asked for stat. ass. With my daughter I got a standard letter from parent partnership and filled in a very brief description of why I was asking for a SA. Believe it or not the Ed pyscho advised me to apply. :huh:

Our initial request was short and sweet - saying that he had a diagnosis of ASD, would be starting school shortly and we were therefore making a parental request for assessment.

The next stage was for the LEA to ask for our parental representations which we supplied, backed up by lots of medical information supplied by the child development centre. They also asked other professionals who'd worked with our son to provide the same. All of this was considered before they made a decision whether or not to assess.

Our initial request was short and sweet - saying that he had a diagnosis of ASD, would be starting school shortly and we were therefore making a parental request for assessment.

The next stage was for the LEA to ask for our parental representations which we supplied, backed up by lots of medical information supplied by the child development centre. They also asked other professionals who'd worked with our son to provide the same. All of this was considered before they made a decision whether or not to assess.

That's what ours should have done ... still ... water under the bridge now ...

We almost missed the chance to make our parental representation. The LEA wrote and confirmed they had been asked to assess, apparently at this point we should have submitted our view. This was not at all clear in the leaflets we were given from parent partnership.

Our LEA seems to have lumped the two stages together, we were certainly never asked in writing at that point to submit our representation.

Funny that, given that we share the same LEA as MotherEve !

wac

Max's nursery put in the request for Stat Assessment, he was already at Nursery Action Plus, and had been "in the system" for a while. I then put alot of detail in the Parental Report and copies of all his DX paperwork.

Jo

Our LEA seems to have lumped the two stages together, we were certainly never asked in writing at that point to submit our representation.

Funny that, given that we share the same LEA as MotherEve !

wac

Why am I not surprised? :huh: