Sign in to follow this  
UltraMum

BBC1 The afternoon play - Monday 16th

"Tea with Betty stars Angela Lonsdale as a single parent struggling to bring up a son with Asperger's syndrome and also rejuvenate the rundown estate where she lives." Radio Times

Don't know what it will be like ... I tried to add it to the calendar but it didn't seem to work :(

Starts at 2:05 and runs to 3:00pm

Ah - thanks for the heads-up - I'll have to try and catch that, as I'm completely free on Monday. :)

As for the Calendar, you'll see I've been able to add two entries for next Wednesday (January 18th). The thing with it is that all new entries must be approved by an admin/moderator before they appear (something I learned the hard way too! :lol:). Unfortunately though, it seems you often need to give them a nudge before they'll check out any new Calendar entries. So maybe try that first, and if whoever replies says there's nothing there, give adding the entry another go. :) Same advice goes for anyone who wants to add stuff to the Calendar! :)

James

As for the Calendar, you'll see I've been able to add two entries for next Wednesday (January 18th).

Yes I saw that - hope it all goes well next Wednesday! :pray:

The thing with it is that all new entries must be approved by an admin/moderator before they appear (something I learned the hard way too! :lol: ).

That makes sense :)

Unfortunately though, it seems you often need to give them a nudge before they'll check out any new Calendar entries. So maybe try that first, and if whoever replies says there's nothing there, give adding the entry another go. :) Same advice goes for anyone who wants to add stuff to the Calendar! :)

Any moderators reading this thread? Can you update the calendar?

Yes I saw that - hope it all goes well next Wednesday! :pray:

Thank you! :D

Any moderators reading this thread? Can you update the calendar?

Looks like you've got your wish now ... although it's been duplicated, thanks to nellie! :lol:

James

Looks like you've got your wish now ... although it's been duplicated, thanks to nellie! :lol:

Nellie's got more info in hers!

Hopefully no-one will miss it if it's there twice! :lol:

Is it repeated at all??

Would love to watch it but got a Child Psychiatrist appointment with T at the hospital so will miss it tomorrow! :(

Hmmm ... it's repeated with sign language (for deaf viewers) in the middle of the night next Sunday night, also on BBC One, if that's any good? :lol:

James

It starts on monday madmooch so I have no idea. Sounds interesting and Surestart are providing creche facilities for those with little ones at home which isn't bad. It is being held in our school so mainly going along to support that aswell as hopefully pick up some useful info.

I'm taping it as I am off out for a hospital appointment now. May take me days to actually watch it though.

Carole

Not going to spoil it for anyone who has taped it so no giving the plot away but...

Raised a smile or three here :D

I thought it was really well portrayed.

The part when he said about his mum and dad's goings on had me in stitches, this would be just like

my son to innocently drop you right in it.

I really didn't expect it to be as good as it was, well done to the BBC. :thumbs:

Brook

Hmm - he was more compliant than my son - but at least they showed the meltdown and also the distress caused by changes to routines. His Mum didn't seem to have to do much preparing of the son for the visit ... although he did have the timetables so ...

On the whole - not bad.

PS - I've just spotted a possible aspie on Countdown - it was the voice that gave it away but the eye contact is dire as well! He also used a word he didn't know the meaning of - sound familiar! :lol:

I enjoyed this. Even considering the lighthearted nature of the story I thought it was a credible portrayal of AS. I'm afraid I can't say the same for the Queen. :lol:

Meant to say as well that it was great to see the portrayal of a positive close father - son relationship. Many dramas go for the stereotype of single mother = absent father. The dad showed as much sensitivity and confidence as the mum in dealing with the son and he was the one who knew how to calm the boy down after the meltdown.

I also enjoyed it more than the Jackson 7 (or whatever it was called) but then I find the whole Jackson media circus a big turn off anyway.

Mother eve

I do that sometimes use a word i am not sure of the meaning of.I didn't know that was an aspie trait.Guess you learn something new every day. :rolleyes:

Yes often the eye contact is the first give away but not with me though my eye contact is fine, luckily :)

Everyone else

I missed the play because I worked today but hopefully they willr epeat it on a day when i dont work :)

Thought it way ok, not brilliant but a light hearted approach to AS.

Not sure if it is just me but every drama i watch with a child with AS I am left thinking the 'social, communication' side of it is just not portrayed. If M had a room full of people appear in his house he would be very stressed and would not speak, may grunt if spoken to and finally would tell them all to leave!!! Not sure if it is only my child who would behave in this way because as i say every drama shows fairly good communication.

Still waiting to see a drama which shows all the difficulties our kids and us go through.

mum22boys

Mum22boys

I agree that these TV dramas never show how it 'really' is but I felt that, on balance, they had at least made an attempt to show what it can be like rather than show it as all roses.

You're quite right that I suspect a good number of our children would have found the whole scenario far too difficult to cope with but they did show him lose control of his temper, even if it was for only a short while. I've never seen this side of asd portrayed in a drama before.

Barefoot

I missed the play because I worked today but hopefully they willr epeat it on a day when i dont work :)

Well... I forgot to set the video :(

Set the video or watch it if you've insomnia ...

tiny.gif

tiny.gif

Tea with Betty

Mon 23 Jan, 3:05 am - 4:00 am 55mins

tiny.gif

Single mum Wendy, bringing up a son with Aspergers and dealing with a difficult ex husband, faces a new challenge when the Queen pays a visit to her troubled housing estate. [sL]

Thanks to Gordie for that info

I taped it and now seen it. I thought it really good. It was a good play. Funny. I liked the Sex Pistols tea mug. god save the queen... It must be very difficult to write a play that covers every AS child as they are all unique to a degree anyway but I found this one of the more down to earth and honest portayals so far. I was a little surprised he managed so well in the pub situation, even when the dad broke out fighting, but who knows? Unless its a true life story its hard to tell how he would react or behave in every situation? I didn't see the Jackson thing but I have nothing but admiration for Jacqui Jackson. I don't know how she manages.

I always use words I don't know- but I always make a point of looking up what I have said afterwards in a dictionary to see if I said something clever or ludicrous...