Sign in to follow this  
rainbow queen

anyone elses children insist on having the last word?

:blink::fight: my son is very argumentative mostly over things he cant deal with very well,it always results with me explaining to him, but he will always have the last word on it[age 4].

it starts getting to me after a while,as i am the parent-but its as if hes having the last say on the subject[hope u know what i mean,ie,when my mum told me something id except it or argue maybe for a bit then except it ] but my son will not have this.

i just wondered if this was common?

its mostly over things which i put rules on and i am strict with him[but have to be or hed take full control :dance: ],like when youve said your piece and its final my son will try to drag it out with the last word on the matter,its as if he cant finish the sentance or conversation,its either that or the need for controlling me :fight: which i try my best to stop him doing.

rainbow queen my AS son 11 does this all of the time. Unfortunately now he is 11 he can out manoeuvre me in nearly all arguments and discussions. He drives his 17 year old brother mad :angry: ( brother tells him to shut the hell up sometimes ,not very understanding)When I ask ds why he cannot accept what I say he replies it is really important to him to justify his point of view. Teachers say he is doing this at school which as you can imagine doesn't go down too well (especially when he is right ;) )He argues and justifies every little point and I must admit it gets me down sometimes. Although I do appreciate what an agile mind he has, mine isn't now :(

read a book last week - it said ASD kids like to have the last word (don't we all!) but what you need to have is 'the lasting word'

the idea apparently is to say your piece, repeat it once and then leave

trouble is, when Com is in full flood there's no way you can say your piece once, never mind twice, without interruption :crying:

Zemanski

Judging by my house it isn't just the AS kids :( ...it's all of the little so and so's!

yeah but - although all kids like the last word - i find that dependant on mood my 13 yr old AS will argue black is white and howl place down if dont get own way!! It ok when ur focussed but kids pick when ur completely knackered and wanna keel to pick a fight!

mind u - so do rest of my NT kids?! :huh:

Yes - all of them!

I've given up trying to have the last word - I like the concept I picked up in parent training (it was some use) that it is the 'lasting' word that counts.

Elanor

Oh yeah,

Lewis will interupt, argue the point and keep on going! He is only 6 and what he is argueing the toss about is generally about things like Cartoon Network, bedtime what he's having for tea....or if you've made a mistake with something he will correct you very precisely. I try not to enter the battlefield but sometimes he just won't have it! :huh:

My NT girl doesn't do it at all but then I'm a bit worried about Dot, she doesn't seem to have many autistic behaviours like Com but she's definitely too good, rarely even have to tell her off for anything other than the mess she leaves everywhere and she never argues

Zemanski

OH YES kieran is the king of the last word and it drives us all mad.I tend to let it go and thats theend of it but my other ds s one younger and two older wont let it drop so a minor argument can last all day in our household

lynn

i still like to do that my mum thinks it is silly i think it good way of putting my point forward what ever the point may be (that is what ever the poin is of the thing i am insisting on having the last word)

<not shure if that makes sense>

Microsoft,

You're right it didn't make sense. Having the last word is normal, just means you really believe. (Whether or not you change your opinion tomorrow)

Maybe the diagnostic tool is - "do you have the same belief tomorrow?"

S age 8 will stand his ground, correct the least thing and tries to have the last word ALL the time.

His NT sister -age 19 and should know better!- REALLY winds him up and drives me loopy by using just two little words to follow what ever he says...

"Your Mum!"

Apparently this is a real bad cuss. :blink: . I used to laugh and then realised...I was the Mum in the cuss!! :huh:

Redberry

In my house its daddy p and big p who are the worst for this, neither can let the other have the last word. Im thinking of moving into the garage for some peace and quiet- no sorry putting them in the garage for some peace and quiet so me and little p can watch scooby doo in peace!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!