Sign in to follow this  
lil_me

One thing after another

Just had my little lad to the optician at the hospital as aswell as his ADHD, Dyspraxia, ASD, Knock knees and flat feet diagnosis he has a stigmatism and is long sighted, and they have now said they are almost certain he's going to have to have surgery as his eyes keep going in over, especially the left. He has to go back in 2 months for another check and to discuss surgery.

:crying: Worried about the surgery but also it is just one thing after another, he's had so much to contend with now this on top.

Sorry just needed a moan.

Sending you lots of hugs lil-me >:D<<'> >:D<<'> . surgery is a frightening thing to have to consider i know, i met a friend up the school yesterday whos ASD son has just had eye surgery and he has recovered so well, it thats any help to you (he is 6) the only thing that she did say was difficult was putting the drops in...

hope that makes you feel better about the surgery

justamom

Hi LM

Don't worry about the eye surgery. I had it done when I was seven and that was quite some time ago to say the least :D

I used to be at the hospital all the time for my eyes but ever since the operation (which was to correct a "lazy eye" as it was called in those days) I have had fantastic vision - obviously if there are other problems your little one will probably still have to wear specs full-time but there's some very cool specs around these days.

>:D<<'>

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

From a mum whoes also waiting for her son to have surgery.

Im dreading it but i try to remember the first op he ever had was when he was only 1 week old and he survived that.

He's had glasses for about 2 1/2 years now, he is pretty good with them, does sometimes smash them in meltdown, but even with them his eye sight is still very poor, the last prescription was a weaker lens and the optician said 'Wow they are strong' so god knows what they'll say with these new stronger ones.

Thanks for the positive comments about surgery, it is much more reassuring knowing people have recovered well, he just hates hospitals and needles, so I am dreading even telling him.I suppose as he gets older and hopefully uses more eye contact children may notice and pick on him if it isn't corrected.

>:D<<'> Thanks everyone, hope your sons surgery goes ok Paula

Edited by lil_me

Lil me

Thankyou.I hope youre son is ok too.

Its not so much the operations that worry me its the thought that he might have to remaine in hospital overnight.Thats what i dread because ill either have to stay with him if im allowed or ill have to leave him.And im scared hed wonder off or kick of because his routines wont be followed.

I normally insist that he comes home as soon as hes recovered from the anesthetic.I no its wrong but i play the old hes Autistic and god help you if he kicks of and im not here hed be far better of at home in his own surroundings card.The Drs normally agree and say he can go home if im happy to ahve him home.

Happy ? You dont see us for dust.

Yes Paula I did the same when my son had teeth removed, usually they are kept in for at least 4 hours and until they have eaten, but he flatly refused to eat there and had a big meltdown as soon as we came back from recovery and kept trying to run away and hide under the beds so they let us go home. They just said as long as we rang straight away if any problems. Fingers crossed he won't have to stay in as I'd have to come home to look after the other one and leave him, which would be upsetting enough.

Thinking of you and your wee one. I have astigmatism and the only problem I have is I can't see the contents of the 3d magic eye type pictures!! I know what you mean about our little ones having enough to contend with without adding something else.

Carrie

carrie, he's always had a problem with 3D computer games, I wonder if that is why, he much prefers the old 2D style games. I haven't really looked into how stigmatisms affect vision before.

Thanks for the hugs, means a lot, just having someone to moan at when I feel sick as a chip!

Suppose I'll just have to wait and see what is said at the appointment in 2 months, I have started to notice what she means more since it has been mentioned, and it is very bad. Thing is with him not using much eye contact I have tended not to look.

my son had the same problem and had to go back every 3 months for assessment and glasses to be changed. Two years later and he has not needed an operation but he still needs to go back every 6 months and get them checked and a new prescription for glasses.

SAying that he hates having the drops put in to the point of we now apply them at home before attending for his appointment.

Good luck if your child needs surgery, they do it has a day case now if the child is operated in the morning.

Jen

Thanks Jen, that has given me some hope at least.

I've got no chance getting the drops in his eyes and holding him at the same time myself so I am pleased after I failed the first time that the hospital now does it.