Sign in to follow this  
Suze

did any of your kids suffer jaundice?

Following on from the hearing thread, I was just wondering if any ones children suffered from jaundice in the first weeks.My son needed light therapy and had a very high jaundice reading in his blood.He was still jaundiced at his 6wk check(they put this down to breast feeding).They followed his progress closely after this and instigated hearing test because they feared his hearing may have been damaged.I often wonder if the jaundice had any effect on him.

Nope - nothing like that - seemed grand at birth except for the incredibly dry skin (caused by him being so overdue) made him look like ET on a bad day blessim.

My NT daughter (twin 1) - her brother has the AS - she had jaundice but didn't require light therapy as they were born in late May and was decided the natural sun would be OK

Yes, my eldest son developed jaundice in his first few days. He was given light therapy but didn't respond. They eventually discovered he had an ABO blood type incompatibility and he had to have an exchange transfusion.

We will never know if this was the cause of his learning difficulties.

Nellie xx

My son had jaundice at birth and received light therapy for 2 days. He was fine after that. When he was 4 it was dicovered that he is blind in one eye ( genetic reasons). He also suffers from allergies.

Curra

My son had severe jaundice at birth and needed light therapy. Ive often wondered if there was link with his difficulties. However I have been told that it is very comon amongst new borns but I still wonder

Loraine

My boy - 6 weeks early, had to be triggered (4 hours to push him out due to midwife insisting I was not in labour and doc giving me pethedine for the agony and subsequent check by another midwife revealed - dilated and ready to go) because of a very difficult time. Very poorly and warned that possibly suffered brain damage and would suffer from fits. Didn't have fits, but became very jaundiced and had a billi gizmo stuffed down his swaddling. Took a long time to regulate. As there appears to be a genetic link :blink: not sure how much of his birth problems have contributed to his AS

As son had jaundice and light therapy. Nt ( although suspected as) daughter had severe jaundice and ended up in baby unit. Hadnt realised that the jaundice could cause a problem with hearing - she did have a hearing test very early on and thankfully was ok. Ive always thought jaundice was related to the two v long and traumatic births- daughter was born in an operating theatre with me about to have a c section - but boy was I stubborn after all those hours insisted they give me one chance. V similar with son. Would have loved a third but hubbie poor love probably wouldnt have coped with another bad birth.

My daughter had jaundice for the first few days but didn't have any therapy for it. My NT son didn't have it.

My son had a little jaundice, by the time he had a hospital appointment for it, it had gone.

The main problem with him when he was tiny was that he had terribly sensitive skin - to the point where he was hospitalised. He still cant use normal soaps or shampoos now.

yup Nick had jaundice for quite a while past 6weeks check.. they just kept an eye on him he also had a few breathing problems... holding his breath a lot that at 2 weeks he was re-admitted for observation and sent home with an apnae monitor.. they only checked hearing at 6 weeks check I did notice he had a bit of a hearing problem at the time but that seems to be ok now as at 2 he had meningaccoccal sceptacaemia and had to have many hearing tests even had some with the first consultant for speech probs...

J had jaundice and had to have light therapy for a couple of days. Then we had to take him back to hospital for more at about a week old, just for a few hours under lights.

Sarah

Dida bit more delving on this subject and found some interesting reading on the net..........KERNICTERUS is a condition caused bt high levels of bilirubin in a new born, if the levels go to high cerebal palsy, brain damage and hearing loss occur.A study was also made to see if the incidence of ASD increased with Kernicterus, this can be found at, www.pediatrics.aappublications.org.....sadly I don,t know how to do a link.I also found this aswell which makes interesting reading,www.cordclamp.com/Autism.Its quite amazing what came up when I googled, jaundice, kernicterus and autism,