Sign in to follow this  
jomica

Autistic boy, 10, taught in cupboard

Isn't it amazing how the LEA have said they have had regular meetings. Yes but obviously no action was taken following the meetings. This is typical for our children with special needs.

Jen

Absolutley outrageous.

I dont know what to say except there trying to make out that its the boys fault for being autistic and haveing challenging behaviour as though he has a choice in the matter.

Id be ###### fumeing.

Well if a tribunal can find it acceptable that a boy is taught in a corridor for 5 or 6 years then this does not surprise me at all :(

Carole

Dispicable.

Just what sort of a society do we live in?! :rolleyes:

I am absolutely disgusted with what i have just read what kind of world do we live in that it allows that to have happened in the first place :wallbash:

>:D<<'> my god i saw this this morning, foul isnt it. Im sure they think cause our kids have statements theyre quite happy to be taught anywhere and should be pleased theyre even allowed in'normal' school. It makes me weep.

Yes, had this been a non-Autistic or non-SEN pupil the Daily Mail would be pointing out how little attention the Guardian gave it and the Mail would use the story to fill slow news days for weeks.

What is familiar in this case is that once again the Autistic that isn't in a position to defend themself it recieving all the blame: it is implied by the council and not at all challenged by the journalist that the pupil has random behaviour that occur for random reasons due to Autism.

Just want to mention that this has happened to a friend's NT daughter recently. She's a very intelligent little girl, age 7, who had some problems getting 2s and 5s mixed up - it had gone unnoticed for years because she'd always guessed and usually got it right. When it came to light there was nowhere separate from the class for her to do work with a helper - our school is an old Victorian building and classrooms are tiny, so she too was being taught this remedial work in a cupboard on the stairs. My friend was furious at first but had to accept it as the reason for it was the geography of the building rather than 'hiding her away'. This was a few months ago that she told me and I don't know if it's still happening, but I wanted to point out that it isn't just SN children who this could apply to.

Karen

x

In the case of the Neurotypical girl you mentioned Karen, she is being taught in a seperate space for her own benefit for reasons which she is not blamed for. The Autistic boy is wholly blamed for his situation and is being taught seperately for the benefit of others because he is disruptive(with no regard as to why this might be).

I've been dreaming of moving back to Castle Douglas for years; Galloway is such a beautiful place.

Now I am so glad we got away when Com was 3.

There's another dream smashed :crying:

nemo

It's back to Victorian times, this is the 21stc idea of education, understanding, and caring. It suggests we alone as parents are the only people who can educate our children, all the rest is containment, and in a very literal sense too :( We must all be vigilant of schools our children are in, and check them out at all times, never mind Ofsted WE'LL check them out. I'm at my son's every week, ANY change I'd know about it, and I set the rules at day one, any lack of consideration, failuer to noticfy me of any changes, or issues I would immediately withdraw my son, so far I have done this twice, so they know I mean what I say. The first time was because they said he was OK for mainstream, he wasn't it made a zombie of him, the 2nd time because they said special needs classes were deemed appropriate, it wasn't and only after their refusal to discuss the issues I pulled him there to, (It took only 3 days for them to cave in !). You must trust your own instinct, the education system hasn't any.

Guest hallyscomet

This is just plain ignorance on the schools part on how to handle a child with Autism :angry: ooooh would I be having words and raising hell if this was my child.

H.

Edited by hallyscomet

That is absolutely disgusting.If it happened to NT children there would be such an outcry.xx

As much as I find this disgusting, I would have to disagree with this.

With nt kids their is less of a chance to make them seem like innocent victims althought it is very strong still, and would obviously be undeniably true in both cases.