Sign in to follow this  
~Jonathan~

Curious Incident...

Hiya,

I'm sure this book/topic has been posted but I'm unable to get the Search facility to work and so can't look for it so if this is a duplicate posting then by all means delete this one.

Who here has read The Curious Incident of The Dog in The Night-Time by Mark Haddon? It's about a 15 year old boy named Christopher Boone who lives with Asperger's Syndrome who must solve a murder mystery. I'm about halfway through currently (and am not normally a reader) and enjoying it.

Jonathan xxxx.

I have! In fact it's the book that set me down the ASD path...and here I am 2 years later a certified loony tune

Mrs TheNeil read it first and was so spooked (with the similarities between Christopher and myself) that she ordered me to read it

Top book

I have. My mum was given the book by a friend at work. From the description of me she suspected I had AS. This was around the time I found out about AS from the internet and was reading Tony Attwood's book.

Hiya,

I'm sure this book/topic has been posted but I'm unable to get the Search facility to work and so can't look for it so if this is a duplicate posting then by all means delete this one.

Who here has read The Curious Incident of The Dog in The Night-Time by Mark Haddon? It's about a 15 year old boy named Christopher Boone who lives with Asperger's Syndrome who must solve a murder mystery. I'm about halfway through currently (and am not normally a reader) and enjoying it.

Jonathan xxxx.

Yep, I've read it twice and, once on my own and once to my son. He then read it again himself. We both love it. I find it a really moving book and it was hard reading it aloud to him 'cos I was so choked up at some points! :P

~ Mel ~

i read this when it first came out, I handed over a copy to my headteacher and its made a hue difference to how he treats asd kids in school now, he in turn has tried to get as many of the staff to read it as poss. we had a y6 pupil at the time who chritopher really could have been based on. I love the descriptions of how his (I assume) TA talks to him and how she obviously understands him so well

I've read it a few times now and always find it very emotional, both from Christopher's perspective and his parents. It highlights a lot of the issues of raising, and being, an autistic child and I think that has probably raised awareness from people who wouldn't otherwise have read it.

Karen

x

A great book. My hubbie read it a couple of years ago when it was first released - we didn't know then that our daughter had ASD it was pure coincidence that he chose it - I've read it since and so has our daughter (she enjoyed it too). I liked the way it was written - it was very open (if you know what I mean).

Take care,

Jb

I read the book and enjoyed it. I saw some of myself in Christopher, but didn't really identify with him a great deal. My husband read it and said, "this book is about you." This was before my diagnosis, when I'd only just heard of Asperger's, and had not told him about it. I just gave him the book and told him I thought he'd enjoy it.

Yes, I have read this book several times. A friend who is a social worker lent me her copy and I immediately identified my then toddler son with Christophers character traits! He was at the time undiagnosed, the health pro's thought I was an Overdramatic Mum, but I knew!

I got my own copy and have read it again and again. It makes me laugh and cry.

Everybody show read this book.

Hi

I thought this was a fantastic book. I'd recommend it to everyone. I learnt quite a bit from it.

It gave me a bit of an insight into AS. My son is quite different to Christopher (he's a lot younger (5) and has AS). Nevertheless, there were some traits that they shared. It gave me a much better understanding of how people with an ASD may think eg if Christopher walks past 4 yellow cars in a row, then that means it's going to be a bad day and he won't speak or eat for days/weeks. This made me realise that there are lots of things which Robert does and I rack my brain trying to look for a reason - thing is, although he has a reason, it may not be logical or obvious to us NTs! In addition, how Christopher handled travelling independently on a train and how he described all his sensory issues ie noise, lots of people, how other people reacted to him, etc were fascinating. This also gave me a better understanding of how distressing even a trip to the shops can be for Robert. Christopher also talks about when he loses control and has a meltdown. When Robert has a meltdown he can be so violent, yet once it's all over, it's like nothing has happened. Wonder if he's forgotten about it. Christopher talks about a scuffle with his father - fascinating. Christopher talks about his amazing memory how it's like an image library or video - he just hits the rewind button!

I'd thoroughly recommend this book. I learn much more from this than I did from Luke and Jackie Jackson's books ('fraid I'm not a fan of them at all - didn't find them helpful and call me cynical but also feel that they've cashed in good style on having AS!). I've lent this book to family and they've learnt a little too. Think I'll read this book again it was so good!

Caroline.

I have read it twice (and bought it twice, lent it to someone and never got it back). The first time was a while before C was diagnosed (when we were all still in denial), then I read it again after diagnosis. There are some similarities, but C is much younger. I loved the book.... might actually re-read again soon.

Has anyone tried the "Blue Bottle Mystery" (can't remember name of author, as C keeps book hidden somewhere in his room - it's precious, you see)? There's about 4 different books by the same author - the hero is always a kid with AS. They're aimed at 7-12 year-olds. I bought it for C after he was diagnosed but before he was told. He read it himself, and fell in love with it. He repeatedly ran downstairs in excitement to tell me things that the character, Ben, did that C does himself. It helped when we had to explain about his dx, as Ben had been dxd in the book and it gave him something to relate to. He still gets it out when he's stressed and re-reads it.

Has anyone tried the "Blue Bottle Mystery" (can't remember name of author, as C keeps book hidden somewhere in his room - it's precious, you see)? There's about 4 different books by the same author - the hero is always a kid with AS. They're aimed at 7-12 year-olds.

The author of these 'Asperger adventures' is Kathy Hoopmann. My son loves them too. She's also written a book called All Cats Have Asperger Adventures, which is lovely.

I've just finished reading this book. My son is not like Christopher but I still think that it's a very good , thought provoking and moving book with mystery too. M in fact is the opposite : he would panic on the street, he can talk a lot to anyone he meets, he's terrible at maths and he would show his anger VERY clearly to his parents...

Curra