claire33

shopping

Hi all

Have to go shopping today and take k with me which i usually try to avoid, however trying to find things out from him is harder except yesterday he asked "why were we not going shopping?" anyway i explained i was going today instead and that he would be coming (usually i follow it up at this point with something like we have to get them nice biscuits you like) but he just said will you tell them not to shout , at the trolley"

I think he means when hes walking beside the trolley or thats what hes meant to be doing anyway

then i asked who shouts and as usual he said i dont know i think he means he doesnt like the noise of everyone in the supermarket talking.

K will sing along forever to the songs in the car do you think if i gave him some music to listen to on a walkman while we walked around he might like that better??????

My son has an MP3 player - he uses it at the shops, it helps him. :)

Also, some kind of visual timetable helps my son - so we tend to write down exactly what we will be doing and when, so he can look at it whilst we're out.

THT

Hi,

My son is also 6 and finds shopping very difficult. I usually leave him with someone rather than take him but it's not always possible.

I have just bought a magnetic shopping list for m to carry around the supermarket. it has a list which you put the pictures of what you want your child to find and a picture of a trolley that they then put the magnet in once they have found the item. Not sure if it will work as i only had it delivered yesterday. But I was willing to try anything.

I bought it on the yellowmoon website.

mum22boys

Hi,

My son is also 6 and finds shopping very difficult. I usually leave him with someone rather than take him but it's not always possible.

I have just bought a magnetic shopping list for m to carry around the supermarket. it has a list which you put the pictures of what you want your child to find and a picture of a trolley that they then put the magnet in once they have found the item. Not sure if it will work as i only had it delivered yesterday. But I was willing to try anything.

mum22boys

That sounds like a good idea :D

I used to take H shopping with me at Asda but they have got rid of the disabled childs trolly so i cant go now with him unless he sit's in the trolly itself :rolleyes:

Clare

Hi,

mum22boys

hi

Thanks for that i have just had a look they look great, i think ill order one too like you said you have to try :D

That sounds like a good idea :D

I used to take H shopping with me at Asda but they have got rid of the disabled childs trolly so i cant go now with him unless he sit's in the trolly itself :rolleyes:

Clare

My son of 8 still wants to sit in the trolley,lol

I would say a list is a good idea as is the walkman or maybe a hand held game (gameboy or similar) may help.

Visual time-table before hand and perhaps a social story of why you go shopping, what you will be getting etc.

How did the shopping go?

:D

Hi

It's worth a try. Have to say I haven't taken my son shopping for a long time. When I did, he'd make a beeline for the toys. On one occasion I told him if he was good we'd go back and get a toy of his choice. He found that incredibly difficult. Next time, I let him choose a toy straight away and I found that he was sufficiently focused on the toy that I got the shopping done without too much difficulty. May sound like I was being soft, but needs must! On another occasion, I drew pictures of tomatoes, apples, etc and involved him by asking him to help fetch the items. Again, that went fairly well.

Best wishes

Caroline.

Hi

It's worth a try. Have to say I haven't taken my son shopping for a long time. When I did, he'd make a beeline for the toys. On one occasion I told him if he was good we'd go back and get a toy of his choice. He found that incredibly difficult. Next time, I let him choose a toy straight away and I found that he was sufficiently focused on the toy that I got the shopping done without too much difficulty. May sound like I was being soft, but needs must! On another occasion, I drew pictures of tomatoes, apples, etc and involved him by asking him to help fetch the items. Again, that went fairly well.

Best wishes

Caroline.

i also like you caroline did the same with my girl.she found it was too many people and too much noise that she did not like.so it was a great system.if she was distracted from what she did not like things got done.thats why she did not like school.the change the noise the children there was too many for her to cope with.but every child has a different level i suppose of the illness.17 years down the line she has over come this.how i pray all will do so.because i know the drama and the stress it causes.

Hi,

very similar story in our household now that i have given up working for the time being i try and go on my own but on the occassions hayley has to come she sits in the trolly with her coat over her and plays her ds game.If it is for clothes or shoes for her and she has to come it is as short as possible and a planned route and constant reminders of next shop is... and we will look for...

I try and avoid if possible but know it is important she learns.

good luck

nicola

We find online shopping a godsend!

We only go with the kids when we only need a few things. It does help if we give the kids things to do like going and getting certain items.

Simon

I used to take H shopping with me at Asda but they have got rid of the disabled childs trolly so i cant go now with him unless he sit's in the trolly itself

Have you spoken/written to the store manager about this?

They might have got rid of the trolley (or it might have got stolen and they didn't bother to replace it) because no one was using it. If they realise that someone was using it, and still would use it, they might re-instate it. It's also possible they keep it locked away somewhere and you need to ask for it.

I'm here to tell ya that supermarket shopping can get easier as they get older. My lad was a nightmare in Tesco, would stomp blindly on jerking his arms around and making very loud noises. Now he's nearly 13 he's a great help. :D

I made certain items in each isle his responsibility, even now, it's his job to get the carrots, the beans, etc. and as he's got more confident he'll even go down to the end of the isle on his own on a mission to fetch eggs or muffins or whatever. At the checkout, it's his job to put the things on the conveyor belt while I pack. This is usually quite entertaining as he enjoys putting things on in one long line, just one thing in a row, so he ends up with a single line of things travelling down the belt, takes longer, but who cares! :P When he's done that he likes to stand in front of the lady on the til and put his fingers on the conveyor belt and walk them along, as if they were legs running on a treadmill. He adores doing this so I just let him. Last time I was there the lady said that his fingers had had a good workout, which he thought was very funny.

I hate it when I have to go to Tescos on my own now without my little helper!! :D

You'll get there. >:D<<'>

~ Mel ~

my little boy used to be terrible in the super market but i have found that if i give him tasks hes not so bad.i think he was bored sensless in tescos and asda,so now i have a list and i ask him to go find things and bring them straight back and put them in the trolly.he has a fear of store detectives and the loud speaker things so he flies of to do his jobs and brings everything back.he used to be afraid of shop lifting.if i got to the till and he thought i wasnt going to pay for my shopping.NOW I HAVE NEVER EVER DONE THIS.but he had got it into his head that we were going to run out of the shop not having paid.he likes to keep an eye on me in the supermarket...lol..just incase i make a run for it...very odd.love noogsy

but he had got it into his head that we were going to run out of the shop not having paid.he likes to keep an eye on me in the supermarket...lol..just incase i make a run for it...very odd.love noogsy

Hahahaha! :P I remember the first time I used the 'pay at pump' facility at Tesco petrol station. I paid at the pump (obviously!) and got back in the car and started to drive off. My lad, very matter-of-fact and calmly said, 'aren't you going to pay for that petrol?'. Hahahahaha. 'Nah, don't think I'll bother today' I said! :whistle::ph34r:

~ Mel ~

My husband is 29 and I refuse to take him into the supermarket.

He grabs things he thinks look nice and puts them in the trolley when I'm not looking (and never eats them anyway). After 5 minutes he starts saying, "are we nearly finished?" I've threatened to put him in the trolley before, but I couldn't lift him :lol:

Fortunately though, he's old enough to be left outside on his own!

If ever we can get our daughter to go with us to the supermarket - she always take's her ipod with her. She'll usually go directly to the the magazine aisle - when she was little she'd just sit cross legged on the floor reading - one of us would stay with her while hubby zipped round, as she got older she'd just stay there and not move - although to get her there in the first place wasn't so easy.

Now - she usually stays with my dad - or we internet shop.

Take care,

Jb

i gave up taking steve shopping and swear by internet shopping,its fantastic!!hope your shopping trip went well

Hi Everyone

Well shopping went okay he didnt take his music, i could only find 2 songs what he liked to download and by the time we went he didnt want to listen to them anymore.

However because it was late when we got there, was hardly no-one in the supermarket which made it alot easier for him, he did still run around and make his noises and stuff, although it wasnt as bad as the last time he came with me.