bid

Why do cats

...eat grass and then :sick: , preferably over your bedroom carpet??

Also, do you think a little rescue cat of about 8ish is too old to learn to 'go' outside...ours will potter round the garden, then come in and use her litter tray! :wallbash:

Boho :dance:

No unkind comments, please, BD!! :shame:

Edited by bid

It's my understanding that Cats and Dogs eat grass because they know they need to be :sick: and grass does the job for them - as for your bedroom carpet what colour is it :unsure: - sorry you did say no unkind comments :whistle:

Cat - quite apt I feel :lol:

Don't get me started on the colour of the carpet I chose for our entire house, not listening to somebody who thought it was too pale!! :crying::crying:

Sadly it's not 'Eau de Cat-sick' :(:shame:

Boho :dance:

And she's just done it again...narrowly missing somebody's slippers! :o:ph34r::devil:

Edited by bid

It's my understanding that Cats and Dogs eat grass because they know they need to be :sick: and grass does the job for them

My vet told me that that is a myth and that cats just eat grass because they like it.

My cat is sick when we give her a particular kind of dry cat food, have you tried changing the diet? Could be something disagreeing with her. Could also be a sign of insecurity!! Yep! Lions do this in the wild, they gorge on food and then run and hide and sick it up in private so they can eat it without being disturbed. Maybe she's worried someone will nick her Whiskers! >:D<<'>

~ Mel ~

Hi Bid,

Cats eat grass as a natural remedy for hairballs and it also provides them with extra vitamins. They swallow a lot of hair when they groom their coat and they need to get rid of it otherwise it can obstruct their digestive system. How do they know so much?? :blink: Grass acts like an emetic (to make them :sick: ) or helps them move their bowels. Carpets seem to be an irresistible place for feeling sick. Mine start making wretching noises first so if I'm lucky I can get to the cat with a paper towel. However, moving the cat while it's wretching is not a very good idea :sick: The other solution is a good carpet cleaner...

All cats like a garden even if they are used to a litter tray, so your 8 year old rescue cat shouldn't be a problem. Just give it time, if it has always lived indoors at first it may feel a bit shy to go out.

Curra XX

Just wait till you tread in a pile of cold sick as you get out of bed to go to the loo at 3 am. :sick::sick::devil:

If she's being sick frequently it might be a good idea just to check it out with the vet in case there's another reason?

Re litter tray - what did she have before she came to you? It may be possible to train her to go in the garden (or someone else's :devil:) Unfortunately it's not a good time of year to do it as it's cold wet and nasty - would you want to go to the loo outside? :lol: Our cat uses the garden in summer but after a couple of indoor "accidents" we've recently introduced a litter tray - as you know, she's blind and I think she feels insecure going out in the dark.

I wiould suggest letting her use the tray over the worst of the winter then try removing it for short periods to see if it will make her go in the garden. Most cats are extremely clean and will not willingly soil their living environment.

K x

Edited by Kathryn

she's blind and I think she feels insecure going out in the dark.

Awwwwwwwwwwww, how does she know it's dark??!!! Hahahahaha. Sorry! :ph34r::whistle:

~ Mel ~

oxgirl.....pmsl!!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

if its any consolation i had to clean up a huge puddle of dog wee and then dog :sick: on saturday morning.....the worst of it was the other dog who isn't allowed dog food frantically tried to eat the :sick: before i could clean it up......fighting over :sick: is not my idea of fun.....

Awwwwwwwwwwww, how does she know it's dark??!!! Hahahahaha. Sorry! :ph34r::whistle:

~ Mel ~

She phones the speaking clock, of course - don't all cats? :huh:

:P;)

Seriously, I think she has some residual sight in her eye - and I'm sure she picks up other vibes form the atmosphere.

Cats eat grass because they don't give a ****

They poo indoors 'cos they don't give a ****

They move next door on a whim after you've lovingly cared for them for 10 years because they don't give a ****

They run in the road with disasterous results because they don't give a ****

Basically - cats don't give a ****

If you want consideration, get a dog

If you want smug superiority, get a cat

Cute though, aint they?!! :lol::lol::lol:

L&P

BD :D

You could try getting some fur ball remedy see if that helps.

With the going out thing.

In August I lost my old puss who turned 19 years old in May. She never learned to go out except in the summer and only if she knew she could get back in easily.

I resigned myself to having a house cat as it was better than finding little presents - of the type our darling children can leave too at times!!! :sick::sick:

If you have a cat of a nervous disposition it is really a bad idea to force them to go against their choices as you will quickly end up with a cat who has bladder stones due to urine acid problems this is only from my own experience as I am not a vet. And if they really do not want to "go" outside they won't you may and up finding :sick: unsavoury :sick: presents in really nasty places

oxgirl.....pmsl!!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

if its any consolation i had to clean up a huge puddle of dog wee and then dog :sick: on saturday morning.....the worst of it was the other dog who isn't allowed dog food frantically tried to eat the :sick: before i could clean it up......fighting over :sick: is not my idea of fun.....

Hey anyone notice how our fur-kids can be just as GROSS as our ASD children??

That said I think our children would stop at the :sick: eating thing!! :sick::sick:

Dogs are sooo good at recycling aren't they though??? :sick::sick::sick::sick::sick:

All cats like a garden even if they are used to a litter tray, so your 8 year old rescue cat shouldn't be a problem. Just give it time, if it has always lived indoors at first it may feel a bit shy to go out.

Curra XX

>:D<<'>

Sorry Curra but that statement is flawed.

:crying: Here is my spanner! :crying:

My cat (recently passed away) didn't like to go out much at all and for 18 years of her life I had to keep a litter tray down for her. She would only go out if it was a very quiet sunny day, and then she would not do anything more than a wee outside.

Nerves you see!

A cat will do what a cat sees fit to do I guess.

Most cats are sensible though, just not all cats like to go out.

>:D<<'>

Who wants kids running into the poo in the garden then dragging it all through the house on their shoes :lol:

:sick::sick::sick::sick:

Not me!

Give me ADDER nuggets ;) to tread in any day, as long as I never ever have to find another pile of cat poop under my bed!!

:sick::sick::sick::sick:

Lol

I just stopped mine from doing it the other day, he made this wild noise, jumped off the bed and started doing the old "slinky" movement and I was running around looking for something to put down. In the end, an A4 folder came to my rescue and I just got it under him in time.

But I laughed mainly because it would have been on the bedroom carpet otherwise!

:lol::D

Does puss-cat know you're telling everyone about his/her bad habits? Cats hold a grudge you know.. ;)

Love cats - but can't have one 'coz they make me sneezy :P , thankfully, my dog has never attempted to poo in my bedroom, or phone the speaking clock :blink: .

Think it was Jack Dee who used the line about cats and dogs..

Guy putting up shelves. Both his cat and his dog are watching him.

Dog says 'I don't know what you're doing, but you're sooo clever. I love you'

Cat says 'That's not straight you idiot'

:lol:

I lurve cats! :D Sorry...not a 'dog person' at all, I'm afraid! :ph34r:

I think I will wait until the spring and then see if I can tempt her out by putting her tray outside each day (but then I don't want her out at night, so will still need the wretched thing! :rolleyes: )

Thanks all! :D

Christmas Boho :dance:

Edited by bid

Hi Bid,

I recently bought a book about cat psychology (yes, i'm bonkers!) because my 8 year old very timid rescue cat kept peeing on my sofa :sick: . Anyway, i discovered many possible reasons for her behaviour and have now solved it, thanks to the book.

When i get a spare 10 mins, i'll have a read and see if there are any suggestions for your kitty. As for eating grass, i was told it was to help get furballs up. If she's doing it alot though, i would seek advice from the vet. You can buy anti-furball dry cat food at the vets (Science Diet).

Loulou xx

i have nothing constructive to add as i am scared of cats :o i dont like their eyes looking at me cos i think they gonna pounce on me :o

i also do not like dogs,i tried to be brave ang get a puppy but on christmas day it left me a nasty present TWICE on my clean washing :crying: i have also trod in dog :sick: on occasions.

what im going to put next is horrible so dont read if you love fish,for steves 3rd birthday i got him a lovely tank and 3 goldfish and as i was setting it up i was also making tea,i put the fish in tank and accidentley poured the hot water in the tank and the fish all died :o took me and steve ages to get over that,it was awful so ive given up on pets :(

Cats are great.

mine usually get sick outside or in bed,it is just recycled food so it easy to wipe up,my fifteen year old cat sam does not go anywhere near where she has got sick for a while even if its her favourite bed, but goldiecat and biscuit dont care,any other cats do this?

Ah yes, we woken at 5am just today by Splosh (not me, the cat I'm 'named' after!), making his familiar two-tone building-up-to-chunder noises.

Deposits :sick: load. DH gets up to clear and disinfect!

Returns to bed and wants to cuddle against my head. :unsure:

Thanks for that!!!

Returns to bed and wants to cuddle against my head. :unsure:

What, your DH or your cat??!! bwahahahahahahahahaha.....................I'll get my coat! :ph34r:

~ Mel ~

Every time I see the title of this thread I have the uncontrollable urge to burst into song. :D

"Why do cats suddenly appear

ev'ry time you are near..."

Is it just me? :huh:

K x

I can now confirm that it's not just cats who do this. My mum came to visit today and brought her dog with her. The self same dog who then decided to hurl all over my dining room carpet. AARRGGHH

At least Mrs Wills delivered 'payback' by peeing all over my mum's arm (I made sure she got some extra carrot later on)(Mrs Wills that is, not my mum) :lol:

"Why do cats suddenly appear

ev'ry time you are near..."

This is the exact description of what goes on here except when they are sleeping :lol::lol:

Curra