Sign in to follow this  
pearl

My lad has a job interview next week!

He's applied for an IT apprenticeship at our local university (where I also work) he did his work experience there 2 years ago as IT technician & loved it so much he didnt want to leave.

So next week he has an assessment, if he passes that he goes on to interview but the impression I get is that the interview is just to discuss his placement not something he also has to pass.

I'm arranging for him to have extra time to complete the assessment (he gets 25% extra for exams) & possibly his support assistant to accompany him. He's worried about standing out as different but needs all the help he can get. Hes very bright but very slow!

I've found the tests he has to do online so we're busy mugging up on them, if he doesnt get this job it wont be for want of trying.

He has to dress formally so got him suited & booted at Debenhams for �38 (thank the lord for blue x sales)

So next wednesday morning, 8:45 onwards send lots of positive vibes his way please - I'll keep you posted.

:D Sending you loads of positive vibes and crossing all I have.

Wishing you son the very best of luck.

Clare x

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Thanks for all the luck & love coming our way :thumbs:

However it seems to be going pear shaped already. Just spent the entire day on the phone trying to sort out some help for J, the college doing the assessment were singularly unhelpful.

When I asked for 25% extra time I was told, no can do, its on a computer & you cant alter the time. So I said, well can his results be adjusted accordingly? No can do, they are marked electronically :wallbash:

I pointed out that if he was in a wheelchair they would be providing a ramp & that the tests seemed inherently discriminatory for someone with processing problems but they just fobbed me off.

I've now got his own college involved, they have talked to Connexions who run these tests, & they say that extra time is "built in" to the programme so he should be fine. Hmm, scuse my cynicism but I'd like to know how much. I'm ringing the Connexions guy on monday to talk to him.

What gets me is, we are not asking for him to be given an unfair advantage, all we are asking is that adjustments are made so he has the same chance as everyone else. He's clearly good enough to do the job else why test him, but the tests seem designed to make him fail :angry:

He knows nothing about all this furore & would be mortified to know I have been making a fuss, I have just told him that extra time is built in so he should be fine. Only good thing is that he wont feel any different from the others which he's sensitive about. We are practising like mad on the tests between now & wed which should increase his speed.

I rang work today & said, I'm claiming special leave on wednesday so I can be there for him. (You are allowed to do this if you have a disabled child under 18) I've only ever used it once before.

He looks heart breakingly young & vulnerable in his smart new suit, oh I hope he'll be ok :pray:

Ok its monday, heres the latest

Spent most of day on phone (at work) trying to sort out help for assessment. The twonk at the college lied to me. Connexions confirmed that he was allowed a reader for the non timed stuff & a separate room.

Called twonkman back & told him this. He put his hand over the phone & said to his colleage "I've got a forceful mother here" I really really wanted to tell him it was 17 years of dealing with ***heads like him that has honed that trait but discretion the better part of valour.

He has agreed to the reader, lovely Dave is doing the job, & he's to be in the quietest part of the room as the pooters are networked so he cant be separate.

So, partial success but I'm furious I've had to fight for what should be his right, & worried it will go against him. But whaddya goina do? He's practised & practised the tests, we cant do any more for him.

This is so potentiall life changing it scares me - once he's successfully employed as an apprentice its the uni's policy to provide them with a permanent job at the end of it. With only 12% (is it) of autistic people in full employment you can see why we want this so much.

& all the time J knows nothing of whats going on behind the scenes & we're just saying, do your best etc....

I've aged 10 years this week & cant wait for wednesday to be over.

aw chic what a nightmare you are having trying to sort it out for him!!! am sending you a really big hug and loads of positive vibes, you have done your best, i hope that it goes well tomoro!

well done for not ripping that bloke's head off i think i wouldnt have been so discreet.... :notworthy:

Awwww thanks BFB, I couldnt say what I really felt as it might have gone against J but I shall be making a complaint afterwards, if only to prevent someone else being treated like this. Its been a shock as J's college is so forward thinking, this is a completely different college & its like going back 10 years.

I've now finished work for the week, have special leave tomorrow so I can be there for him, so all I can do now is bite my nails & feel sick :(

I'll post here as soon as theres any news :pray:

Once again best of luck hope it goes well for you both. I hope they are more receptive in person than they seem to have been towards you on the phone.

(EDIT: I wish there was a four leaf clover or something we could add for wishing people luck. Perhaps something like this: http://www.luckom.com/img/4-good-luck.gif)

Heres an image for you:

http://www.crystal-reflections.com/greeting/luck.gif

Edited by David Matthew Baker

Thanks David, you're a sweetie.

He's doing the test as we write & hopefully we've had all our bad luck for one day.

Mr pearl defrosted the car for me this morning .... and went to work with the keys in his pocket :o

My mouth went dry & my legs went to jelly. I could have killed him.

Ransacked the house & found the spare set, prayed battery not dead, worked fine. Sat here like :wacko:

I'll post as soon as I hear, probably start a fresh one.

Thanks again xx

WOOOOOHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*Streaks nekkid thru forum in celebration*

:D:lol:B):dance::band::cheers::groupwave::party::bounce::clap::first::jester::robbie:

He was ONLY the highest scorer in the test today!!!!!!!!!

I'm so proud I could burst.

He now goes forward to the next stage, which is shortlisting. I'd be quite surprised if he didnt get an interview. I thought he'd know today but I think this college needs lessons in communication skills :lol:

Either way, he's on the apprenticeship programme now, so if he doesnt get shortlisted for this one he'll be put forward for others. The GeneSys Assessment lasts for 12 months so if he goes for an apprenticeship from a different provider he wont have to take it again.

My lovely lovely boy took it all in his stride. All he needs in life is a decent chance to prove himself & it looks like for once he's been given a break.

Thankyou for all your support, I think I shall get ver ver drunk now :wine:

Thanks all, I stopped after 3 drinks so still coherent :D

Been so strung up this week I'm just like a jelly now

J is taking a well earned break & watching Lemur Island followed by Seaside Rescue, tv heaven for him :D

NOW just have to keep everything crossed he actually gets the job......

Thanks all, I stopped after 3 drinks so still coherent :D

Been so strung up this week I'm just like a jelly now

J is taking a well earned break & watching Lemur Island followed by Seaside Rescue, tv heaven for him :D

NOW just have to keep everything crossed he actually gets the job......

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!! :thumbs:

Excellent P!! Give JP a big high five from me and Ellis!! :notworthy:

Three drinks? Is that all? I at least want to see a repeat performance of THE FIFTEENTH OF DECEMBER 2006!!! :clap::clap::clap::D:D:D