Sign in to follow this  
JenRose

Trampoline

we bought the kids a trampoline at the weekend.

its a 12ft with enclosure, it was on special at that well known DIY store with 2 letters.

WOW what a difference in the behaviour of DS.

he goes on it in the morning and at night and he is so much calmer i cant believe it, ive had no arguing, throwing things,

telling me he hates me, nothing like that.

And dd is much calmer too.

i cant put it down to anything else but this!!!!!

if id have known this before i would have got one years ago.

We had similar experience since we bought one two years ago- I have to say that lately the effect is not as usual- may be down to the lovely whether we have been having or that my son is growing older. But still it is great :thumbs: for both my AS and NT boys.

Pragmatic

I've heard a theory that it's something to do with the pressure on the soles of the feet . . . nevertheless, trampolining seems to be very popular with autistic people. I would like one myself, but I think next-door would just destroy it.

I think about getting one for my lad sometimes, but I'm not sure he'd ever really use it and I don't want it to end up sitting in the garden just collecting rain. He really could use the exercise because he doesn't do any other physical things, but I'm worried it will just be a novelty and he'll go on it for five mins and then leave it to rot in favour of his fishes. :) They're so expensive as well, aren't they. :unsure:

~ Mel ~

I think about getting one for my lad sometimes, but I'm not sure he'd ever really use it and I don't want it to end up sitting in the garden just collecting rain. He really could use the exercise because he doesn't do any other physical things, but I'm worried it will just be a novelty and he'll go on it for five mins and then leave it to rot in favour of his fishes. :) They're so expensive as well, aren't they. :unsure:

~ Mel ~

Dear Mel,

Sometimes there are great offers with them- if you decided to get one always remember to get the enclosure net as well.

We got one a couple of weeks ago and my 4 yr old loves it! He spends ages bouncing around in it and failing that, he zips the enclosure shut and lies in the middle of it watching the clouds go by without his brothers bothering him!

:thumbs:

I think it was worth every penny! Which wasn't as much I had thought it would be either.

Nikki.

would really one but our garden slopes

Elun xxx

Hi Elun, that had always stopped me too - our garden slopes quite steeply. But I was round at my DD's friend's house last week, and they have dug it down at one side, so that the metal frame is set about 1/2 a foot into the grass. This makes it level.

C has been asking for one for years now, and when I saw that I started to think we could maybe get one. Our garden slopes more than DD's friend's, so we would probably have to build up the other side slightly too. But it's worth a try.

hi

Would love to get one. OJ loves them and he could do with some exercise, hasn't done PE for over a year, but my undxed AS husband won't allow it 'cos it will upset his visage of the garden.......!!!!

Sighing heavily

Stella

Thanks

Will def look into that as I really think it would do O loads of good - he has lots of sensory issues with his autism and rocks and jumps on the spot constantly so I think he'd love it. I could do with the exercise too!

xxx

just in case anyone is looking to buy one of these, a website I use to purchase a lot of IT stuff has 8ft ones with enclosures for �80 including p&p if you want the link pm me :D

I bought ours in Focus. It is a 10ft one with side netting. Was less than �80 after using a pensioners discount!! And they didn't bat an eyelid. (I said it had been recommended for rheumatism)!

Hi I posted a similair reply a while ago but I will explain our experience, J loves to jump about and do flips we got ours from Tescos internet shopping it was a really good price including the net and delivery however it is actually intended as a fitness for Adults so for Js little body its had quite a hard impact when he rebounds of it, in May he had a nasty accident where he severley pulled the muscles in his neck after a bad landing inpact.

He was rushed to hospital and given an intensive examination by two peadatritions because your neck is so vulnerable and the spinal cord is so slightly attatched by ligaments and muscles, so they had to do special exrays.

J was given the all clear but it was a further two weeks before he started to recover and been hyperactive he certainly didnt like been restricted in movement so it was a really hard time.

Js trampiline is been replaced now by a gymnastics tp trampoline and we have approached a charity to pay for it as it is double the price but we now know why, some trampolines can have deverstating injuries and the first thing the peadatrition asked us to consider was can you please get rid of yours, we know J gets a lot of exercise and a great way to let off steam so no we cant but we are getting one that is intended to cope with the kind of activity J does.

I would really recommend the Tp range as these are intended for children rather than an equiptment for fitness aimed at adults.

Also bear in mind that kids with ADHD/ASD may act more impulsivly and without awareness of danger so they are a lot more inclinded to do somersaults and flips and jump that bit more higher so these trampolines are going to get that bit more wear and tear than that of a child who is NT.

So please bear in mind the exposer your trampoline will have with your child/children, also there is nothing at all stopping mums and dads having a good old bounce on the childrens trampolines as they are just as much fun and I bet you will giggle your socks off, I always feel really odd after.

Trampolines are great for kids and certainly great for those that are now a grown up but still a kid on the inside.

Just get one that is going to keep you smiling rather than limping and aching because your trampoline hasnt been the right kind of model for your needs.

Lecture over sorry but I just want to make it clear that some of these trampolines can be also very dangerous too as we learnt the hard way.

JsMum

ps tp do mini indoor trampolines too so you could have it inside if you have the room and again they do different sizes too.

Edited by JsMum

We have a 10ft one and the DS loves it as does his sisters. He also goes to Rebounders special needs trampolining and loves it! Definatley worth buying a trampoline I say!