Minxygal

Pride of Britain Award

I'm amazed to say I got a phonecall yesterday telling me I had been short listed for The Pride of Britain ITV carer of the year award.

They are coming to The Maze next week, the charity I started to support parents of children on the autistic spectrum, to make a documentary and then it goes to a regional vote with me against 3 other finalists to choose a winner.

I was terrified but have been reminded that any publicity about parenting children on the spectrum is good publicity and so I intend to use this to help as many as possible.

Look out for me on the tv I'll be the fat one that looks half asleep lol

Congratulations :groupwave: this is a great achievement!!!!!!!

Now you can get your :curlers: done and a new outfit. Going to be on TV girl!! :photo:

Enjoy the whole experience and have a wonderful day at the awards.

Keep us posted.

Mand :notworthy:>:D<<'> You amaze me :notworthy:

I don't know how i would have gotten through the first few months of M's dx without you. Wish i lived closer - it looks fantastic! :notworthy: I'm loving the hair colour! :curlers: & my gawd, haven't your boys grown! :wub:

You're an inspiration >:D<<'> :notworthy:

:D

Aw thanks Sweetie and yes they have grown loads. James is now 15 and Mark is 17. Gems off at uni, got her own place and I think the Maze is definitely my second home now. I think my OCD motivates me if I'm honest.

It's great to get the chance to show off what a group of parents have achieved between us, The Maze IS a really special place and our parents seem to love it. With funding we have been able to offer some outings for our families during the holidays, we did a coach trip to Magna in Sheffield, had a BBQ and eco picture trail and we hired out the pool at the local leisure centre and had a party for the families. The highlight of this was a young lad called Lewis who's obsession was titanic and he had a model boat that he'd never been able to bring along to a public swim. Because we had hired the pool he could and I will never forget the look on his little face when at last he could take it and sink it in real disaster style....Makes it all worthwhile lol

I will never forget the look on his little face when at last he could take it and sink it in real disaster style....Makes it all worthwhile

Ah 'Bless'

This brought me to :crying:

You where great in the video Minxygal thanks for sharing it, :D the work you're doing is amazing.

Wishing You the Best of Luck on Friday. xxxx

You're already a winner in our eyes!

I am shivering with goose bumps, your video clip was fantastic, you dare run yourself down, to me you looked a very warm caring woman, who loves her children unconditionally and who gives her time to support and inspire others.

Huge respect to you.

Clare x x x

Aw thanks, I really appreciate the support. I'ts been very difficult actually cos I am a hide away sort of person, unless the topic is autism of course or The Maze. Having the spotlight put on me was really difficult and has played havoc with my OCD.

However people I have been chasing for ages have started to return my calls so that bodes well for many of my parents.

What the documentary didnt get across is that we started as a support group, self funded so it's true from little acorns oak trees grow.

Parent Power eh?!!!!!

Here are the voting details.....

Carer of the Year 2007

Call 0870 241 7704 and press 1 to Vote for Davina Bates, 2 for Mandy Haxby or 3 for Alexandra Hill.

Or you can text CENTRAL EAST followed by 1, 2 or 3 to 63330.

Of course I am number 2

Thanks to averyone who votes

Mandyx

Well done. It shows that hard work often pays off. I have been thinking about setting up a parent support group in my area, but am a little scared and not really sure where to start. I have come across so many parents of children with ASD in my town. Our nearest groups are around 10 - 15 miles away from where we live. Any tips on how I should go about this would be appreciated. Hope it goes well for you, you really deserve it. :thumbs::thumbs:

We have an excellent treasurer and great committee, all of whom are parents. I have pm'd you my email if we can help in any way feel free to ask. As I siad before we started with nothing so anything is possible if you are passionate about it.

I have spoken to our treasurer Dawn and she said if she can advise in any way feel free to pick her brains xxxx

Hi Mandy -

sorry - I seemed to have missed this until now :(

Bad Baddad!

I've just put that right with a phone call, and wish you the very best for Monday's result :)

Meanwhile... watching the news item, I noticed it came up with the legend 'Madny Haxby' underneath the media player! you don't have to be Madny to work here, but... ;):lol:

Very best

BD :D

Hi Mandy -

sorry - I seemed to have missed this until now :(

Bad Baddad!

I've just put that right with a phone call, and wish you the very best for Monday's result :)

Meanwhile... watching the news item, I noticed it came up with the legend 'Madny Haxby' underneath the media player! you don't have to be Madny to work here, but... ;):lol:

Very best

BD :D

Thank you so much to everyone who took the time to vote. By the way lines close at midnight on sunday so don't phone after that as apparently they might still charge you and all that extra lol

As for being refered to as Madny, well they obviously have had a lot of details from my friends thats all I'm saying :jester:

Edited by Minxygal

Mandy,

Wow! What can I say? I think you are an exceptional lady, I wish there had been somewhere like The Maze that I could have gone to after El's dx, you are obviously a very warm, lovely, wise and giving person. Oh, and I think you looked gorgeous......Kate Moss has got nothing on you!! You go get em, and have a wonderful time, whatever ever happens....YOU are a winner!! >:D<<'> :notworthy::thumbs::clap:

Lots of Love, Lisa xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxx