forbsay

My asd son is constantly eating

In other words, nicking food out of the fridge and stealing food off other peoples plates.

He also goes into the kitchen and eats loads of bananas and yoghurts.

He is wearing me down a bit at the moment.

Forbsay

Hi Forbsay,

How old is yours? I had a similar experience with mine when he was around 9; he is 11 now and it is much better. I took him to a dietician tho when he was 10 and she was really good- she discussed with him what he eats (we had a food diary) and offered substitutes like wholemeal (bread/pasta/rice) nuts; things that can fill him for longer instead of sweats and chocolates.

If he is old enough a nice chat may help in suggesting some alternative that can release 'slow energy' instead of the quick serge of energy that comes with sweaty stuff and doesn't last long.

It is funny you mention yogurt as all dairy products are my sons favourites; some say that they are kind of 'addicted' to them and I read over the net that people saw BIG differences when their ASD kids were given dairy free products- I haven't tried this tho.

Stock up in wholemeal crisp bread and bread sticks and dried fruits, which he can snack on.

Good luck.

Pragmatic

have had this prob with steve for years,he is never ever full up,ive tried talking gently about it,shouting about it,dietician,its like hes got an obsession with food,i find it very worrying

JC Who is nearly 10 , climbs onto the counters to reach Chocolate and raids the tins, for "quick " energy food.

We have started to Hind the Goodie tins, in the most bazzare places, in the hope JC won't find them...

Me an the Hubby , then forget to tell each other , the hidding place... We have a house full of "goodies" that no one can find...

It is not Funny, :jester::jester: gets to high stress levels on some days

I know how u feel....

We have a policy , on always ask 1st, Jc just does not register it.... :(

K

Louis was also exactly like this. We even resorted to putting a padlock on the pantry door as he would eat everything in there the day it was bought.

However, he went to his father's in the Summer holidays, originally for just a week, but I had a phonecall that meant he stayed there for 3 weeks in total, 2 of which were medication free (as he had only taken enough for one week). When he came back home, he wasn't interested in food at all. In fact, he even started saying he was full up and didn't want any pudding, or leaving some food on his plate!

He is now back on all his medication - except for Ritalin. He is still no longer saying he is hungry. We have been able to leave the pantry unlocked, and it hasn't been touched. It has been wonderful!

Hope you find an answer soon.

Fi xx

B used to be like this when he was the same age, and he got up a couple of hours earlier than everyone else.

Now we don't have treat food in the house, better for all of us in the long run!

We are a house without biscuits, crisps, cake, chocolate, fizzy pop or icecream.

When we go out, then we buy a treat, so whenever people see B and me round town, we're tucking into something unhealthy!

He gets 50p a week to spend on sweets on a Friday.

He still eats quite a lot, but it's fruit or salad-type stuff, or bread rolls. He slowed down a lot when he turned 10 1/2, still has a sweet tooth, but containers of glaced fruit and jars of golden syrup are no longer disappearing wholesale.

ps Don't worry Mumble, I have a secret stash of chocolate in the boot of the car for those special times when it's that or run mad with an axe. Nobody knows about it except me, and now you lot.

hi forbsay

Just seen this my son is just the same tonight he has had his tea, grapes cereal toast more grapes a biscuit he just wants to eat all the time, he doesnt seem to put on weight with it though, i think for him its a bordom thing.

Brooke

one of the people am live with is like that,but has no asd,is just LD and mild MR.

he is not severly ld or mr,but will eat out of bins,sinks etc,and will steal off the rest of us,most recently am had a box of flakes go missing [those chocolate stick type things] which sent am into a meltdown as had been expecting it to be in own cupboard when got back.

he is obese,and staff have to watch him when he goes into kitchen incase he steals someones food.