Bagpuss

What book are you reading at the moment?

Don't Sleep, There are Snakes by Daniel Everett. An account of the authors 25 years spent living & working with an Amazonian tribe, who's language bears no resemblance to any other known language. They have no words for please, thankyou, hello, goodbye, sorry etc. They have no mythology, live entirely in the present, and believe nothing unless they can confirm it through their own experience.

The authors job was to learn their language & then translate the Bible into it. Eventually, realising that they were the happiest people he had ever encountered, he started to question his own beliefs & is now an atheist.

There was an article in one of the papers a few weeks ago about this man and his experiences. I'd very much like to read the book. I'm especially interested in his linguistic discoveries. As a result of his observations he concluded that this tribe lack some of the building blocks of language which have long been considered an inherent part of our species and universal to all languages. His findings have thrown linguistic theory into confusion - the equivalent of discovering that the earth is, after all, flat. I don't know how much the book focuses on the language aspect, but it sounds like a fascinating stroy all the same.

K x

Theres a lot about linguistics, Kathryn, but I wasn't that interested so skim read most of those chapters. Think what he discovered contradicts Chomsky, universal grammar theory? Mr p heard it as book of the week on the radio first, he did linguistics as a student so it meant more to him.

Very pragmatic language, very straightforward, they say exactly what they mean & they don't take offence easily. I'm guessing autistic peeps would have an easier time with a language like that, which begs the question, how many autistic difficulties are due to social conventions rather than autism per se?

Finished Tony Hancock, The Definitive Biography. Not bad and better than When The Wind Changed but seemed to have a big build up to his death...and then finish very quickly. Would have been nice to have a bit more analysis, lasting impact of the event on society and comedy etc. Ho hum, some people are never happy.

Next up, The Mad Science Book by Reto U. Schneider - '100 Amazing Experiments From The History of Science'. Read a bit and it seems pretty funny (and is scarily, actual experiments). Things like a genuine research to see if a horse can count (answer = yes) :huh:

Edited by TheNeil

Nella Last's Peace by, er, Nella Last.

Read Nella Last's War years ago, then re-read it recently when it was dramatised for tv with Victoria Wood playing her. Then I noticed her post-war diaries in the library, only just been published.

Just as interesting to read about austerity Britain. She was a gifted writer who never imagined she'd reach a wide audience.

One Small Step? by Gerhard Wisnewski

Did NASA really send a man to the moon? Did the Soviet Union try to send men into space before Yuri Gagarin? Has political gain and the need to hoodwink the public resulted in the whole 'space race' being a complete sham? Did both space agencies resort to murder to cover up their failings?

So far I'm not convinced either way (about half way through) but the guy makes a really good argument and really does pick out some good 'evidence' :unsure:

Finished reading whether NASA sent a man to the moon (my conclusion? I don't actually care anymore)(although I am quite certain that no cows have ever been to the moon, and someone once sent rockets somewhere...probably :unsure:)

Now reading Introducing Psychology by Nigel Benson. A beginner's guide to psychology...in pictures :notworthy:

Rose Madder, Stephen King.

I'm a bit mmmm about King; some I really enjoy, others I can't even get 'into'.

So far, so good with this one, although early days!

Bohjo :dance:

Driving Miss Smith

A memoir of Linda Smith the comedian who died a couple of years ago, written by her partner Warren Lakin. She was a similar age to me & I loved her deadpan, incisive humour on R4 progs like Just a Minute & the News Quiz, but I'd no idea of her background in Sheffield doing community theatre in the 80s & 90s, or that towards the end of her life she was president of the Humanist Association. I'm now going to order a compilation of her best stand up routines. I regret never seeing her on tour.

You would enjoy this Kathryn, theres a whole chapter on the Edinburgh Festival :thumbs:

You would enjoy this Kathryn, theres a whole chapter on the Edinburgh Festival :thumbs:

Ooh I must read it then, Pearl! I've read another book about her, but not that one.

She was so funny and I miss her unique humour. I remember feeling quite sad and angry when she died and thinking "what a loss".

K x

Yes, I avoided reading it for a while as I thought it would be so sad, but in fact it was a lovely celebration of her life, with loads of extracts from her routines that I kept reading out loud to mr p. Theres now a "friends of Linda Smith" organisation raising funds to research ovarian cancer.

I've never actually seen her doing her routine, but there was something about her that made me think I'd probably enjoy them....I shall have to give it a go!

I've just finished Nation by Terry Pratchett, and DUma Key by Stephen King. Both were great reads, Nation especially is very thought provoking and insightful. Definitely would recommend it to anyone.

Am now reading The Quest by Wilbur Smith, which I'm enjoying too.

I've just ordered the compilation from the library, its called I think the nurses are stealing my clothes & its also available as a CD.

Keep meaning to get into Terry Pratchett. Even more so now I've seen what a very nice bloke he is on the Alzheimer programmes.

I've just ordered the compilation from the library, its called I think the nurses are stealing my clothes & its also available as a CD.

That's the one I've read.

K x

So much to read!!! So little time!!! :crying::rolleyes:

I bought Double Fault by Lionel Shriver from a charity shop yesterday and it'll be my half term read. Never heard of it but I think LS is a good writer and it's set in the world of professional tennis, so I hope I'll enjoy it.

And when I've finished , it can go back to the charity shop. We have way too many books in this house!

K x

Oof. same here! Im liking the library, at least the books only clutter my house for a couple of weeks....but then I bring home a new cache and its clutter again!!

In the shadow of Lady Jane by Edward Charles, a novel about Lady Jane Grey as described by one of her servants. Finished it on the anniversary of her execution, what are the chances? Bit of a potboiler but I enjoyed it.

Morecambe and Wise Untold by William Cook, a compilation of untold stories, perspectives and anecdotes about a couple of total, total geniuses :notworthy:

i'm a massive Stephen King fan, so i'm re reading the Gunslinger series, not like his usual horror stuff and I didn't think I would like it but it blew my mind. Lots of twists and turns. i love the way King incorporates people from his other books into his books. In the gunslinger books there's a rose which is core to the story and it pops up in another book he wrote ages ago. I re read Insomnia a few months back (one of my favourites and because Id read th gunslinger since the first tie I'd read it, i noticed loads of stuff from the gunslinger sneakily written into it. Sorry for being a Stephen King bore :oops:

I'm also reading Slumdog Millionaire and it's flippin brill.

The A-Z of Classic Children's Television by Simon Sheridan.

I know, I'm strange but any book with a whole section about Bod (:notworthy:) has to be worth reading :lol:

I bought Double Fault by Lionel Shriver from a charity shop yesterday and it'll be my half term read. Never heard of it but I think LS is a good writer and it's set in the world of professional tennis, so I hope I'll enjoy it.

I've started it and am enjoying it, despite the fact the the heroine is called "Willy".

K x

I was at school with a boy who looked like Bod. He also once fitted himself into a locker. His parents were naturists.

Thank God Bod wasn't a naturist - can't imagine the BBC would show that to kids :lol:

The Man Who Ran the Moon: James Webb, JFK and the Secret History of Project Apollo by Piers Bizony.

Yet more poking about behind the scenes of 'mankind's greatest achievement' blah, blah, blah etc. etc. etc. :whistle:

I'm reading a million little pieces by James Frey. It's a really harrowing memoir of his life when, at just 23, he has been destroyed by alcoholism and drug-dependency and is an immediate danger to himself and is put into in-patient treatment. It doesn't sound like a very uplifting read and at times it isn't, yet I've found myself laughing at parts because what it shows is that, whatever the big problems, we're all humans with similar aspirations, wants, needs and desires.

I'm also reading Being Happy! A Handbook to Greater Confidence and Security by Andrew Matthews.

I know which book I prefer :whistle: but hey between the two of them I might find some middle way and normality. :lol: :lol:

Bridge Across Forever Richard Bach.

I first read this, together with Jonathan Livingstone Seagull, when I was 17 and I absolutely loved it, so I thought I would see what I think now!

Boho :dance:

Edited by bid

:o Do people do this? Oops, might explain why I have so much trouble with fiction. :tearful:

I can't do this either, and I don't 'see' the story in my head either...apparently some (most??) people see a novel as a sort of unfolding film in their heads as they read!

All I have are the words :(

Boho :rolleyes:

Edited by bid

I find I have to give my characters an appearance, or I get them mixed up & can't follow the plot. I'll often put an actor in the role (David Tennant gets used a lot :wub: ) it depends what information I've been given about what the character looks like. It really annoys me when I've imagined someone different from how they are later described, ie. blonde hair rather than brown etc.

I know, I'm weird :wacko:

I find I have to give my characters an appearance, or I get them mixed up & can't follow the plot. I'll often put an actor in the role (David Tennant gets used a lot :wub: ) it depends what information I've been given about what the character looks like. It really annoys me when I've imagined someone different from how they are later described, ie. blonde hair rather than brown etc.

I know, I'm weird :wacko:

You are not weird, either that or I am (which is a distinct possibility).

I have to have a visual representation of characters in my mind or I get completely lost at who everyone is. I become part of the story when I read it. Then when I see it on film I sit and tell anyone (hubby usually) that will listen, that they have used the wrong actor for whatever reason.

( He can get quite annoyed with me sometimes for doing this :blink: )

You are not weird, either that or I am (which is a distinct possibility).

No trust me, she is :devil:

Finished The Man Who Ran The Moon. The verdict? Don't waste your time unless you like reading about boring meetings and political maneouvering. :angry:

Now reading Kenneth Williams Unseen: The Private Notes, Scripts and Photographs by Wes Butters and Russell Davies.

TBH it's not great (:shame:) but I'll stick with it until I can get to [insert name of high street bookstore here]