oxgirl

He's doing so well with his tables .............

For the last two weeks I've been working every night with Jay on his times tables. At first he was hideously negative and stroppy, it was so daunting for him, he felt he would never learn them and he couldn't find any motivation to try. But, we persevered and now we're really seeing fantastic results!! :thumbs::dance::clap: He's finding that he CAN do it and he IS remembering them and there are only the slightest pauses now for him to find the answers, we're really doing it!! :clap:

I'm so thrilled with him. It's been really hard going but the last two days I've seen such a change in his attitude. He's so much more confident and willing to do the work because he can really see that he's achieving it. Instead of stomping down the stairs grumpily, yesterday he actually skipped down the stairs! :o

He actually admitted that he now feels that he can do it and that he's seen that if he tries and tries he CAN succeed. He'd been feeling such a failure at everything, that he couldn't do anything and so refused to try and this has really made a huge difference to his self esteem.

I only hope that he can now apply this attitude to other areas of his life that he finds hard. I hope that he can carry this success over and really learn that if he keeps on trying he WILL be able to succeed. Next step - shoelaces!! :o:ph34r:

~ Mel ~

Hi

Well done - that is a huge achievement that I never mastered!!!

Please post when you get on to shoe laces as this is OJ's next challenge after mastering tying his tie!!

Stella xx

Thanks guys, I'm so proud of us. :thumbs:

Re. shoelaces, I'm on a roll now and might as well tackle this while the going is good!! Wish us luck, I've told him I'm going to work with him on it at the weekend!! :o:wacko::whistle::pray:

~ Mel ~

He's so much more confident and willing to do the work because he can really see that he's achieving it. Instead of stomping down the stairs grumpily, yesterday he actually skipped down the stairs! :o

He actually admitted that he now feels that he can do it and that he's seen that if he tries and tries he CAN succeed. He'd been feeling such a failure at everything, that he couldn't do anything and so refused to try and this has really made a huge difference to his self esteem.

~ Mel ~

I LOVE teaching bottom set maths for EXACTLY these reasons, wonderful to watch them fly isn't it?

Well done Mel for having faith backed up by persistence. It paid off, and you're the one that effected the change. You showed him he could achieve if he could sustain the effort. You didn't give up. >:D<<'> :thumbs::notworthy:

I LOVE teaching bottom set maths for EXACTLY these reasons, wonderful to watch them fly isn't it?

Well done Mel for having faith backed up by persistence. It paid off, and you're the one that effected the change. You showed him he could achieve if he could sustain the effort. You didn't give up. >:D<<'> :thumbs::notworthy:

Thanks Bard. >:D<<'> I do feel really proud, actually. :D The most rewarding thing is seeing the change in his attitude. I'm so glad I did it. He said yesterday that he wished he'd done it before but I said, well, perhaps he wasn't ready before but now he is and he was happy with that. :D

~ Mel ~

Well Done!!

How did you get him to learn them? Verbally, worksheets or another method? I'd be grateful for any tips.

Well Done!!

How did you get him to learn them? Verbally, worksheets or another method? I'd be grateful for any tips.

Thanks Lisa. :P

He had a poster on his wall for years that he always ignored, so I chopped it up into individual sums and chopped all the answers into little individual squares. I started with the 3 x tables and gave him all the sums to arrange in order on the table. Then, as he said each sum out loud (1 x 3 equals), I got him to pick the answer from the pile of answers and slide it into place until he'd done them all. Then I took all the questions and shuffled them a bit, hid the answers and placed a random sum in front of him and asked, 'what's 3x3' etc. If he struggled with it I'd put it back in the pile in my hand and try again, and if he got it right I'd put it on the table so he could see it. If he really didn't know I'd give him a selection of answers and ask him which of those he thought it was. When they were all on the table in a line he could see that he had known them all and got them all right. We did it for ten mins each night and I made a very concerted effort not to rush him or pressure him as that would make him start to panic. If he didn't know an answer I'd ask him what his best guess was and after a while his guesses were always right, even though he didn't quite have the confidence to be certain. Once I felt he'd mastered one table I'd move on to the next, but would mix them up and add in previous ones so we were going over them again and again.

Now I've also bought a card game (with fish on it!! :thumbs: ) and a couple of sticker books and a funny 'string and learn' thing and we alternate with these as well. Sometimes I write a few random sums down and ask him to fill in the answers, just to cement them into his head. They're really sticking now. :thumbs:

Best of luck if you're working on this too. :thumbs:

~ Mel ~