charliesmomuk

Does your ASD child notice pain??

Today my son had 8 teeth out under general anaesthetic. No they weren't rotten..he had some rare problem where the baby teeth welded to the jaw bone and couldn't fall out:(

He was amazing. he wasn't anxious beforehand (he has mild ASD and moderate learning difficulties) and I'm sure it is because he doesn't imagine whatit might be like..he wasn't thinking 'oh it might hurt, will I wake up' etc..because his head is filled with his obsessions and little else filters thro. The ONLY time he was distressed was SEEING a drop of blood on his hand from the canula and when he drooled blood (all afternoon!) The fact that he has 8 holes and stitched gums seems irrelevant to him! (Obviously he IS having meds but still...)

Is he unusual in this? His pain threshold isn't so much high I don't think, it's more a lack of interest in his pain... other stuff ( Dr Who, lining pencils, Spyro) is far more engaging to him!!

Just wondered if other children were like him!

Julie

i am autistic and i can deal with alot of pain at a time

like to day i was in pain because i fell on my neck yesterday it takes alot for me to cry and i didnt cry today i was in just alot of pain

meggz

My son (10,AS) does not notice pain, broke his wrist a year ago and made v. little fuss. Does not complain when physically attacked at school. Had large blisters from boots whilst skating- took months to heal; not a single mention of it. It's quite worrying really as I wonder what would happen if he had something really wrong with him. :tearful:

Hi charliesmomuk,

this is quite common i think.

my daughter has a very different pain threshold, when she was younger it seemed to be higher, now though it seems to depend on how engaged she is.

She can cry for a small thing or not seem to notice something i could scream at.

nic

My ds doesn't seem to feel as much pain as others. When he was in hosp for an ingrowing toe nail to be removed the only time he was upset was when the anaesthetic cream was put on his hand - he didn't like the feel of it. Not bothered at all about the toe nail!

My son nick has aspergers and he does feel pain, or it maybe that he loves to make a fuss. I always have to make sure l have plasters in the house as he must have one on the smallest of scratches!!!!

My ds doesn't know when he has sore tummy, head etc. Also if he hurts himself he doesn't complain. On the other hand if he feels his space is invaded or his big sister lifts her hand towards him you would think he was being murdered as the screams are piercing!!

Carrie

My ds doesn't know when he has sore tummy, head etc. Also if he hurts himself he doesn't complain. On the other hand if he feels his space is invaded or his big sister lifts her hand towards him you would think he was being murdered as the screams are piercing!!

Carrie

My DS only reacts to pain when he sees blood. He panicks. I know when hes not well because of his body language and he rubs his head when he has a headache. But he gets grumpy when he has constipation I have developed a sort of unspoken communication with him I know instinctively what he wants. I remember when he was younger he trod on a wasp in the grass in the back garden he was playing in the pool. He screamed in shock and I knew immediately what had happened I cant explain it but my son and I communicate on a different level I feel rather than see or am told what he needs? He has had blisters on his feet before from new shoes, which SS pulled me up on saying I was neglectful thing is i never knew until I pulled his socks off how the shoes had rubbed and I felt terrible but he didnt appear to feel the pain. I am sure that he feels pain differently from me and I know that sometimes because he cant express that pain especially the pain in his gut that he becomes aggressive and hits out because he is suffering.

My DD is a wimp, a runny nose and shes dying she suffers from man-flu. She likes fuss and attention when unwell, and everyone knows!

My fella is definitely a whimp. I hate it when hes not well he cant do anything for himself and does the dying swan act. This video will give you a good idea of what its like? You may recognise this in your own partner?

Youtube mancold

My AS son has different pain thresholds. If he injures himself he makes very little fuss, he's broken both his wrists - his left one twice and numerous other injuries that would have most screaming in pain. I find this makes it hard to tell just how badly he has hurt himself. On the flip side he goes scatty over injections and DH and I had to pin him down to remove some poison from a foot injury. He also has sensory issues with his head, even washing his hair had him screaming the house down.

My son nick has aspergers and he does feel pain, or it maybe that he loves to make a fuss. I always have to make sure l have plasters in the house as he must have one on the smallest of scratches!!!!

Same here for my DS.....very low pain threshold

Clare x x x

I'm not a child anymore, but I've always had a really low pain threshold. Couple this with the fact that I'm super clumsy there were a lot of screaming moments and trips to the hospital :rolleyes:

My DH (undx AS) is the opposite....he can remove a tea bag from a mug of boiling water and squeeze it between his finger and thumb Ouch !!! then once he's stirred it will chase me with the hot teaspoon............all done in the best possibly taste, you understand :lol:

Clare x x x

J's a drama queen, every little scratch is a major injury. Often he'll come to me screaming in pain, begging me to look at the 'wound'. Usually you need a magnifying glass to spot it. Recently he's had a 'nasty rash which is sooooo itchy!!" on his leg - it's three tiny red dots. I slap a bit of hand cream on it just to show willing and he's fine.

Does anyone else's like to take photographs of their injuries? It's J's main priority, even before I treat it with my magic hand cream.

Karen

x

My daughter has an extremely low pain threshold with even the smallest scratch being incredibly painful. She finds blood tests agony even with the cream on it hurts for the rest of the day. As for a cold she honestly believes that she is going to die!

Guest Lya of the Nox
i am autistic and i can deal with alot of pain at a time

like to day i was in pain because i fell on my neck yesterday it takes alot for me to cry and i didnt cry today i was in just alot of pain

meggz

ahh but if i touch her face, pick a bit of fluff out her hair

boy does she scream,

it seems that big injuries dont bother her, but little ones do big time

x

My lad is very oversensitive to pain. If he falls over, he seems to be in total agony and it's really hard to tell, as he limps dramatically around, whether it's just a twinge or whether I should call for an ambulance! :wacko::whistle: I don't think he can tell the difference either!

~ Mel ~

Edited by oxgirl

My dd will over-react to the tiniest scratch or graze that really needs an electron mircoscope to see properly, but a bigger hurt that would have me reeling and sobbing simply doesn't bother her at all....

She also has a major aversion to sticking plasters.....

P is another one with a high pain tolerance. His tooth abscess last week only got noticed by me when his face swelled up. His behaviour had "gone off" but he hadnt mentioned any pain. He's been far better at school since the tooth came out. I hate having to watch for odd changes in behaviour to see if anything is physically wrong with him. It scares me that he wont report anything badly wrong.

My ds#1 is funny - it's hard to tell!

He had a broken finger for a whole afternoon at school last year and didn't mention it even though it was very swollen and discoloured. He had a huge black eye and bruised head before christmas that didn't bother him at all.

However if he hurts himself in a minor way he'll scream and scream. Recently we've had outrage when he was sent to school with (what I think were)

growing pains and I sent him to school this week with a mystery swollen wrist which I hadn't noticed until his support worker asked me to come back and look at at.

He seems to find it hard to tell the difference between big pains and little ones - and if it's his own fault (the black eye was as he chucked something!) then he doesn't complain at all!

Karen, I annoy G by taking photos of injuries! (He's had a lot of accidents recently!)