Kathryn

L back in the mainstream after 4 years

Today L was accepted onto the Btec First Diploma in IT at the FE college she's at already. To say she's feeling rather pleased with herself is an understatement. :) Although she deliberately fooled me by coming in with a really upset face. :lol:

She had 2 hour interview and test which she was dreading - on Sunday night I really thought she would pull out. She went on her own, by choice and said it went really well, passed the tests, even the maths, (literacy was off the scale) and coped fine with the interview - she said all the people in the department were very nice. They were able to reassure her about asking for any suppoort or accommodations she might need and she was able to discuss quite calmly why she didn't finish school and why she has no qualifications. She was told there and then that she had been accepted.

This is a HUGE milestone - it's taken a lot of courage to get this far as her self esteem was totally crushed by school. Also weeks of deliberation about which course to do. But this is a major boost. I could almost see her reassessing her view of her own abilities as she was telling me. She was so afraid that she would never be able to get on any course and it's been a major source of depression recently as she saw all her peers moving on and achieving stuff.

We wait to see how she actually makes the transition from the sheltered support she's in to a mainstream course, but by the sound of things, she will be supported quite well and she's known to many of the staff already. I've had my run ins with the college at various times but they seem to be getting it right at the moment.

Phew, what a relief! :hypno::thumbs:

K x

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs: Congratulations L (and mum!) :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Transition from to is scary, but the big difference here is that SHE is ready and up for it.

I think extra 'Gap' years are a must for some of our kids, and it has nothing to do with them not being up to the task but the timing not being right.

Quickly or slowly, what does it matter just so long as you get there?

Have fun getting there, L :)

BD :D

That's wonderful news, but such a long hard road for both of you to get to this point.

The tutors sound as if they are prepared to think of her as an individual, and listen rather than assume which is lovely.

My daughter, NT but not mainstream conventional, loves college, The students are so much more accepting of difference and individuality than pre-16 education. Lots of the battles and conflicts that she faced at school simply don't exist in the FE framework.

Edited by Bard

Oh, excellent news!

I agree with Bard, college waaaaay more accepting of difference than school, JP loved it. V similar course to him as well.

Thats awesome, brilliant to hear its started so very positively. I've definitely found that the college framework suits many ASD students better than mainstream school. Long may it continue- and thanks to both for putting this post up. Hearing about such blimmin fab achievements as this reassures us parents of younger kids (ASD and NT!) that these options are open to all and support in further education is there....kinda thing.

Seriously chuffed for you, L, I'd love to hear how things go for you.

:thumbs:

Esther x

Thats brilliant, makes such a difference when its something they want to do, rather than been forced into it, I hope she likes been a student rather than a school pupil.

Js also chosen to go back to school this week, done three mornings, and seems ok about attending next week.

Good Luck

JsMum

that reassures sme so much-she should be so proud of herself xxx

gives me hope for my 12 yr old having horrific time at aschool

xxx

Lisa and anyone else similarly struggling, although all our children are different, I hope it does give you encouragement. L went through school unstatemented, let alone supported - she was barely a blip on the SEN radar throughout her school career: she had a severe breakdown, lost language and coordination skills and spent over a year without leaving the house, much of it in bed. Even walking around the park outside our house was a major achievement at one time.

That was 3-4 years ago. Now she:

Handles her own finances - with the help of internet banking

Eats out in a favourite cafe on her own

walks to college and catches the bus sometimes

buys things for herself at the supermarket sometimes

cooks her own evening meal

talks on the phone when necessary (reluctantly but manages it)

regularly looks after her 10 year old brother and meets him from school sometimes when I can't

Keeps a friendship going with two old schoolfriends and arranges outings, get togethers etc

- and is funny, clever, affectionate, intellectually challenging and I wouldn't swop her! :)

And I'm not a "supermum" who's got her to this stage by my superhuman efforts, it's just mostly been a natural progression on her part.

K x

Kathryn

Sorry I'm really late to this thread. I've only just seen it.

This is really fantastic news. I'm so pleased for you and L and look forward to hearing how she gets on.

This has to give all of us hope for the future for our kids, and for those of us who have adolescents who have regressed and/or hit on major difficulties and challenges it's a nice doze of reassurance that they can come out the other side of it and find their footing again.

Lovely news :thumbs:

Flora X

Just seen this now..

Well done..I know how hard it was for you,I had the same trouble with K when you had your problems with L.

K is also in a college that is catering for his needs,doing very well,very independent now and hopes to go back into mainstream in 2009 with the help of the college, as like L he didn't finish school.

I am so happy for you both. >:D<<'>

Hello,

I have only just read this post. Well done L and family. I am also extremely pleased to see so many positive things written about colleges. I work in the Foundation department of an FE college and I know progression to mainstream is not easy.

im at an mainstream college i have AS im 18 yrs old i dune 1 level 1 course passed wid highest grade poss n level2 wid highest grade poss now doin anufa level2 tis septemba cumin up kent wait i guna show the world i can beat demons of AS n not let it control me n hold me bac widh it has bin doin in past! i wana succeed in future lyk ya daughta doin !

but wen even little changes r made tat mess up ma head n ma world but i knw tat part of norm worl but stil had to adjust ma finkin style to tat all i can cay to tat comment made ya daughta has made a pos step forward in reclaiming her future n wat she wants hr future to be she got control gud on her as i knw how challening tat normaliti can made u feel n b!

it makes ya so anx n nervy but wel dune her she so brave n amazing human being it takes alot to do wat shye did! i knw seein ova peers do so well n achieve wat we class n see as so much more tat wat we can do is upsetting n hurtful but plz continue to give ya daughta praise n encouragement ya doin a womderful job may all the hapiness continue n i hope ya daughta succeeds n doesnt let autism control her lyf n doesnt hold her bac! nymore

take care

KLxXxXx