bjkmummy

roaring like a dinosaur - its driving me mad

j who is 4 latest obsession is dinosaurs - that is all he can talk about and play with them

he now goes around the place stomping like a dinosaur, roaring like a dinosaur and is physically eating people!! hes driving me mad!!

but is this usual asd behaviour? im really confused as if hes behaving like a dinosaur surely hes using his imagination????? which has to be a good thing????

everyone is getting really fed up of him and all this roaring is giving me a constant headache!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Edited by bjkmummy

Yikes!!!! With ds it is pretending to be a wwe wrestler but he dont realise we dont all wanna be smacked on the floor n sat on!!!!!

Hi

This brought back instant memories of AJ about the same age had the TRex roar down to a fine art from Jurassic Park! He then progressed to the velociraptor and used his his hands as claws, imitated it perfectly!

Don't know about the AS - I was obsessed with dinosaurs when I was little so thought it completely normal for my two to go through that phase (and it lasted a long time!!!!)I was so envious that I hadn't had those films when I was little!

Stella x

Hi

This brought back instant memories of AJ about the same age had the TRex roar down to a fine art from Jurassic Park! He then progressed to the velociraptor and used his his hands as claws, imitated it perfectly!

Don't know about the AS - I was obsessed with dinosaurs when I was little so thought it completely normal for my two to go through that phase (and it lasted a long time!!!!)I was so envious that I hadn't had those films when I was little!

Stella x

A woman after my own heart, and a son too! It was Jurassic Park and velociraptors with us too!

My daughter NT 17 still has phases of doing it, although B has forgotten.

Edit for spelin

Edited by Bard

oh yes we have the t rex roar!!!! also he loves jurassic park and the raptors - hes always talking about the 'claws' - thankfully he is now a tired little dinosaur so no more roaring for tonight!!!!!!

All boys love dinos whether autistic or not!!

I would embrace his current "obsession" (trust me there will be more) and get a Tracy Island type floor mat and a few dinosaurs from Early Learing Centre and let his imagination run wild, get down on the floor with him and go RRRRAAAAAAGGHHHH!!!!

My son behaved like a dinosaur and would roar in the faces of children and adults.

His behaviour was always called aggressive by teachers. My son went as far as believing he was going to be a dinosaur when he grow up and would not listen to any reasoning.

I think my son behaved this way because I found the world around him very confusing and being a dinosaur helped him to feel safe. Even when I talked to him he would roar, very annoying.

He should grow out of it when he gets older but be prepared of other obsessions to take over.

It does get easier when they get older. My son learned to say he was frightened, anxious and confused instead of roaring in faces. My son was six before he changed his behaviour and it seems to never end at times.

Try to stay patient with him and see it from his point of view.

My don did; start to use a sharp object to mark his arms to imitate a flesh wound, scary time.

thank you chill2computer - you have described joe exactly with the roaring in peoples faces - interesting point about it being a way for him to cope - i can see that now is what he is doing. he conversations now are all dino related - he will not talk about anything else and will change the conversation to dinosaurs so think this is an 'obsesson' rather than just an interest

a lot of the children in his pre school do like dinos too but none of them seem to be going to the full extent joe is. that said it is nice that some of the other children will try to interact with joe cos of the dino same interest but have a feeling the other children will move on but joe will still be roaring!

Hi

Hi This describes my ASD son to a T. All through nursery and until the end of Reception he was the most amazing veloceraptor. He too roared in peoples faces, used his hands as claws. He could quote Prehistoric Park intro to a T. Now he has moved on to Star Wars, he hums the music perfectly, knows which piece of music matches which scene in the film. If DH or I start to hum it (very catchy) he says "no you are doing it wrong" and will proceed to teach us how to do it properly - sounds the same to me, but there are subtle differences.

We have used his obessessions to benefit him and us, i.e as reward strategies. He does have a very good imagination, but more do to with imitating dinosaurs, jedi knights etc.

I must say I am glad the dinosaur imitating has gone as it was very frightening for the other children, and some adults! He finds more boys that are into Star Wars so they have a common ground to build on. One kind boy in his class sent him a christmas card and wrote "to .... my star wars friend" I was really touched.

Anyway, I ramble.

... but is this usual asd behaviour? im really confused as if hes behaving like a dinosaur surely hes using his imagination????? which has to be a good thing????

The problem is not imagination as such but how to imagine other people's feelings. As dinosaurs aren't people, that's much easier ...

Ooh, brings back memories. Have to say I loved JP's dino stage. Sure I've posted this before, but when he was 8 we took him on a day trip (from Lancs) to the Natural History Museum. He drove the other passengers in the train carriage demented on the way back, never stopped talking about dinosaurs for a full 3 hours :lol:

He still has models in his room but isn't really obsessed now.

I've got an ASD DD : we didn't have dinosaurs but we had cats. Cats that mewed and licked us.!!!! Yes, it changed....we've now got horses that neigh and rabbits that growl and nip(?!) and cats still make an appearance. Think yourself lucky that you're not like a boy we knew that, at age 12, was still into Peter Rabbit :rolleyes: :rolleyes: .....not exactly cool amongst his peers!!

Le plus ca change, le plus c'est la meme chose... forgive my rusty French.

:robbie: :robbie: :robbie: :robbie: :robbie: :robbie: :robbie: :robbie: :robbie: :robbie: :robbie: :robbie: :robbie: :robbie:

all day long!!!!!!

Yep, I'm going through the cat stage with H. It was a bit bizarre at one point when I was walking around a certain store with both my 2 crawling along behind me woofing (that was the dog phase). And at the visit to the clinical psychologist about H, J was clawing at the door like a dog trying to get out, gave up and laid on the floor! Me and the psychologist just looked at him briefly, ignored him and carried on our discussion about H!!!

But now H is constantly making cat noises and licking me and crawls around the house!

I'm not sure if it is use of imagination - or just copied from what they have seen, as it seems to be the same all the time, the crawling and the animal noises and the constant licking.

reece hasnt done the dinosaur bit but is allways acting like a dog licking people and crawling along the path with a stick in his mouth and eating his food off the floor with his mouth and barking used to drive me crackers but am now used to it lol

love donnaxxxx

I'd say it's all part of his current obsession. Levi's obsession is with video games, but he goes through phases of which ones he likes best. And he'll re-enact the games over and over pretending he's the character in the game :D

Hi bjkmummy

When I was advised years ago my son will shift his obsessions on to something else I felt frustrated because they did not truly understand my son would follow me from room to room in a frantic state until he got the information he needed, name of dinosaur which period they lived in? he drove me crazy.? The worst time was when he was in nursery, he would behave like a dinosaur and the children wanted to interact with him but every time they tried to approach him he would react by stamping and roar so loudly the children started to become fearful of him. His teachers or peers did not realize he was just a scared child and the result was a misunderstanding and a label, violent child.

I came across PC cd-rom called walking with dinosaurs Liam would play non stop but at least I got some space and he learned more about dinosaurs but he started to talk to his peers about dinosaurs instead of roaring. The other disc I bought was Jurassic park operation Genesis I needed to learn how to play the game first then teach my son. WOW he became so engrossed in playing the game and it gave me quality time with him, we learned how to work together as a team. I watched Walking with dinosaurs and learned as much as he did so I could talk to him on his level.

He is now seven and he still talks about dinosaurs but has moved his obsession onto transformers. Years ago I felt his

obsessions would never end with dinosaurs, it took four years. Try not to get too overwhelmed. He will move on to be obsessed with something else, just pray the obsession is not spiders. LOL

:thumbs:

I'd say it's all part of his current obsession. Levi's obsession is with video games, but he goes through phases of which ones he likes best. And he'll re-enact the games over and over pretending he's the character in the game :D

Thats like my ds-he is obsessed by wrestling films n games pn the psp n ps2 ets so is constntly reenacting them not realising we dont want to be beaten up or slammed to the floor!!

chill2computer

sadly his other obsesson besides dinosaurs is ......................................................SPIDERS!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

he has had this obsession for the last 2 years!!!!! he loves them especially the webs! on friday nursery is having fancy dress - joe decided he wanted to be a spider so found a spider costume in july - no mean feat but it helps that i run a fancy dress business!

he has now decided he wants to be a dinosaur with a spider attached to it!!!!! ill get him dressed up and i give it two mins before the costume is off!!!!

i noticed tonight when he was telling me a story that it is the same story he has been telling for the last 2 weeks - its made up of phrases that me and his dad have taught him/ read to him about dinosaurs

i have a programme on my pc which i downloaded about dinosaurs which he really enjoys but will look at the other pc roms people have mentioned as they sound very joe like!

I heard someone at a conference a few years back talk about imagination. ASD children do not lack imagination - it was never intended that people should interpret it that way. They have an impairment in imagination which can manifest itself in lots of different ways - one of which is finding it difficult to differentiate between what is real and what is not real. Someone alluded to it already but it sounds like your child believes he really is a dinosaur. Unfortunately there are no quick and easy answers to this - some children do 'grow out' of this, but not all (I vaguely recall Donna Williams (I think) writing in one of her books how she put on different accents and became different people during her time at college).

Oh yes, we've had the dino obsession with the roaring LOUD first thing in the morning, but before that it was King King for years. He would roar like him too and beat his chest, he was so loud it did drive us mad. Pirates of the Carribean came next which wasn't so bad.

We have loads of books and little dino figures (is that the right word?) and theres a high dtreet shop that sells loads of tea shirts and tops with different dinosaurs on it! (pm me if you want to know where!)

Lewis used to pretend he was a dino too when other kids were around, some of them didn't know how to deal with that but we are just used to him and let him carry on, ina lower tone of coarse lol!!