Annea

Out come of tribunal Hearing

As many of you know, we went to tribunal at the beginning of September to appeal against section 2,3 and 4 of our daughters statement...

It has been a long wait...

BUT WE WON!!!!!!

She will now be attending one of the Priory schools and we are thrilled to have come to the end of this exhausting journey!!

Thanks to everyone who sent well wishes

Anne xx

WOW well done :notworthy: fantastic news >:D<<'>

I bet you are all so pleased, can I just ask has this been a long journey with alot of school failure?

This is fab news, my own battle is still on going but to hear stories of success gives me hope, well done :notworthy:>:D<<'>

Absolutely flippin' fantastic and marvellous

:groupwave::groupwave::groupwave:

I'm soooooo pleased for you Annea. Well done to all of you. >:D<<'> :dance:

Flora XXXXXXXXXXX

WOW well done :notworthy: fantastic news >:D<<'>

I bet you are all so pleased, can I just ask has this been a long journey with alot of school failure?

This is fab news, my own battle is still on going but to hear stories of success gives me hope, well done :notworthy:>:D<<'>

Hi Stressed to mum

This has been a long long battle, I first tried to get statement 4 yrs ago!!!

We had a diss discrimination appeal against the school last year which we won, but our daughter was becoming more and more stressed to the point of near break down last easter.

She had not attended school since....

The sad thing is, their re thousands of familes accross the UK fighting the same fight, and all I can say, Is just do it step by step one day at a time....

There is an end eventually....

Good luck to everyone still battling And thanks to you all for your congrats.... I am still in shock!

Anne xx

Edited by Annea

Absolutely brilliant news!! :thumbs:

Well done, and I hope your DD really enjoys her new school. My DS went to a Priory school and it was fabby :notworthy:

Bid :)

Fantastic, really, really happy you won, its parents like you who go all the way that get what their children really really need, you persivered and you gave all. well done to you. too

Our LEA are changing part 2 and 3 now and part 4 now says the school we would Like Jay to go to we are just waiting for aproval of extra funding, its soo hard waiting, we were supose to get an answer yesterday but like always they really hang you out to dry and so wont know until NEXT WEEK now but we too are nearly there, its a real fight to get what our children NEED.

JsMum

Thanks everyone!!!

Bid, I have my daughter going to the same one as your son went to ;)

It has begun to sink in a little now, so I am starting to make preperations for her.

It is very scary preparing for a teen to leave home isn't it? But I know this is the right thing....

Anyone any tips to help with transistion?

Anne x

Hi Annea,

As you know I'm still in the transition with Bill. It took him a while to settle in, but he is really starting to benefit now.

As far as tips go obviously it depends on the child/teenager. However, a postive attitude, being upbeat (even when you're feeling wobbly) is very important.

Hopefully the school will send photos and timetables in preperation for her starting to help her visualise where/what.

Help her pack a bag of things she can put in her room to make it feel like her room.

Be prepared for her to wobble a bit when she first starts (she might not... she might be really happy from the first day but best be prepared). If this does happen, you can reassure her that it's a perfectly natural way to feel at first but she will soon get used to it. It's important to get the balance right between being supportive/sympathetic, but not allowing her to belabour or dwell on it. Remaining upbeat and matter of fact will help.

I'm sure others will have something to add to that. Do you have a start date for her?

Flora

Edited by Flora

Hi Flora, no start day yet, we have to wait for LEA to contact the school and set wheels in motion.

Due to her anxiety issues we are planning to have her in for a few days, just day time, then a few days with nights before she starts proper, just to ease her in.

I am also going to set up a family blog site < anyideas of good ones appreciated> So that she will be able to see what we are all up to and alos be able to post what she has been up to.. so she doesn't feel excluded.

She is 14, which is a tough age anyway I think, so slowly slowly..

I have already gone over some of the important things, preparing her that she may panic at first, and we worked through what to do in these circumstances. I am actually quite tough on her, as I need for her to start ot be strng now she is getting older.

Anne x

Thanks everyone!!!

Bid, I have my daughter going to the same one as your son went to ;)

It has begun to sink in a little now, so I am starting to make preperations for her.

It is very scary preparing for a teen to leave home isn't it? But I know this is the right thing....

Anyone any tips to help with transistion?

Anne x

Well, first of all, the PA to the Principal (if it's still C) is absolutely wonderful at sorting out any worries or concerns, and she was always my first point of call.

The kids all have their own internet access at their work station, so I used to email my DS most days, as well as phoning less regularly. I liked the email option, because just a simple 'How are you today' shows they're still in your thoughts, and my DS also found it easier rather than trying to 'chat' on the phone.

They were happy for my DS to take his own computer to have in his room, as this was so important to him...and of course all the usual posters, etc, for his room. Your DD will have her own named member of the care staff, and you can phone them and swap notes each home weekend.

As he came home every third weekend because we were so far away, I used to send him the odd computer mag and choc bar in the post, and his grannies did the same with cards and letters and tuck!

My DS only really had one major, major wobble, when he broke down and refused to go back after a weekend home as he felt extremely stressed with the home unit he was on because the lads were very noisy. I phoned C (this was a Sunday), a teacher drove all the way to our house (round trip of about 300 miles!!), had supper with us and talked to A. He was told he could move to a quieter home unit, and went back happily...I think my DS was overwhelmed that he had actually been listened to after years in mainstream where his very real concerns were dismissed.

So, I certainly felt confident that the school and staff were extremely supportive, understanding and pro-active in that support.

On a more prosaic level, start sewing in those name tapes now, even though you don't have a start date yet! :lol: Be prepared for it to be quite quick...my DS had his overnight visit in the middle of the week, and because he was so keen, the school said he could start properly the following Monday, as they were happy for his paperwork from the LEA to follow him down, rather than waiting for it to arrive first! To say I had a manic weekend is an understatement...shopping and name tape sewing!

I'm sure your DD will love it there...it's such a beautiful house and grounds, and the staff are really wonderful.

Good luck, and do let us know how she gets on >:D<<'>

Edited by bid

My son also went to residential school, and I sent him with a calendar (with weekends/hols home and birthdays marked on it), some cards and stamps (he never used them, but I lived in hope), and one of these http://www.craftmarketcorner.co.uk/picture...ath=221_222_224 with lots of phots of the family/pets/etc.

At T's school all washing was put on a hot wash, so it was not worth sending in anything that was liable to shrink.

Thank you all so much for your responses.

I am definitely going to get one of the photo display thingies.. it looks great.

As for washing, she will be coming home each weekend and as such she will bring her washing with her when she comes home. I am hoping she will get over the fussiness regarding washing etc.. but for now it will work.

Bid, yes the grounds and house are very beautiful, one of the reasons she was so taken with it, because she is extremely active and runs all the time to release pent up energy.

C is still their although to date I have only communicated with B who seals with admissions, but she is lovely too.

My dd is lucky in that due to the long time this has taken, she has had about 5 visits to the school inc some over nights....

The only huge sticking point for us now, is that she is very close to her Hamster and is very worried about leaving her behind. It's a shame they don't have some sort of place where caged pets can be kept, as I think that looking after pets is an excellent way to develop skills in responsibility.

She hasn't taken any options as yet even though she is supposed to be in her first GCSE year, so she is looking forward to knowing exactly what lessons she will be able to sit.

I am a bit calmer today, but she is all over the place right now. Must be a huge shock to her after such a long wait.

Anne x

Anne

I'm glad it's that school, I thought it might be! :thumbs: We visited a few years ago with a view to sending my daughter there: sadly it was not to be, as the battle came too late for us. Bid was really helpful in giving us loads of information and her son showed us around. :)

They were lovely people and listened to us at a time when we were feeling very bruised by the system.

I'm sure your dd will have the best chance possible there. Keep us updated!

K x

Edited by Kathryn

Have you definitely asked about the hamster? There are lots of outbuildings, so you might be lucky if you explained just how important it is to her :pray:

That's awesome news, you must be utterly thrilled. I hope she settles in well. Well done to you guys, these things aren't exactly handed over on a plate, are they?

Fab! :thumbs:

Esther x

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for your good wishes....

A few people have asked me about what experts we had in the hearing so I will put it in here,

If I put anything in here that isn't allowed please moderators accept my apologies and feel free to edit....

We were entitled to legal help, which allowed us to get private reports from a speach language therapist, OT, Ed Psych and Psychiatirst.

The experts we had were extremely good and very well versed in the way that tribunals are won....

If anyone wants the details of the experts we used, please feel free to email me or PM me through here and I will give you contact details.

As you probably all know that even with legal aid, you are not covered for legal representation at a hearing, so we used an independant representative who is very qualified at Appeal hearings, case preperation etc, He covers, Dissability discrimination cases, exclusions in fact all SEN matters. This option is much more affordable than having to pay for a lawyer at a hearing. Personally we couldn't afford for a solicitor to take on the hearing, it was just way out of our price range..

If anyone wants this representatives details, once again, let me know and I will pass his details on to you.

Hope this doesn't sound like a commercial... I am just so still overwhelmed with how supportive all these wonderful people are, that I want to sing their praises from the roof tops.....

To anyone out there (and I know there are many) who are still fighting their cases...... it really can be done!!!

There have been so many times where I have been in deep despair that an end was in site, having my name dragged through the mud with lies, I have spent days on the phone over the past two+ years and honestly at times thought I was going crazy .... (and I know many of you must know this feeling too) BUT if we can get through it , anyone can!

I am not the font of all knowledge, it would be arogant to suggest I am, but I have been through two hearings now and have fought both a dissability discrimination case and an appeal against an inadequate statement.. so if what I have learnt can help anyone else, please do ask.... all our cases are different, but I might be able to give a few tidbits that can help you know which way to turn....

Please free to pm if you want to know how we managed any particualr thing....

Anyway.......

We have got a date already!!!!!!

Our dd will be starting her new placement next week!!!!

Just a few day's initially, then the following week a couple of days and a couple of nights, then starting fully after the half term!!!

It is a very exciting and nervous time for us all.....

Anne xx

We have got a date already!!!!!!

Our dd will be starting her new placement next week!!!!

Just a few day's initially, then the following week a couple of days and a couple of nights, then starting fully after the half term!!!

It is a very exciting and nervous time for us all.....

Anne xx

That's great :thumbs:

Fingers crossed for you all >:D<<'> >:D<<'>