SensitiveSoul

Supermarkets - my worst nightmare!!!

My mum and step-dad are away and left no bread or veg in the house, so I just had to brave the supermarket. I quickly remembered why I hate it! People everywhere, playing bumper cars with their trolleys - just knocking into people with seemingly no regard for them whatsoever. People stopping in the middle of the aisle for a chat so no-one could get around them. Even more difficult when you have communication difficulties and aren't sure at which point to butt in and ask them politely to move out of the way. People leaning over me and getting in my personal space, loitering behind me waiting for me to move out of the way putting me off my shopping. Kids screaming and parents yelling. Bright lighting, uncomfortable to be in for too long. People walking across the front of me without so much as a backward glance, let alone any kind of apology. People just don't look where they're going! I'm so glad that experience is over and done with! Surely I can't be the only one to hate supermarkets? Does anyone actually enjoy them??

Anyway rant over! I feel better now for getting that off my chest :)

I would go to supermarkets if they allowed you to bring in your own shopping trolly. I think this could be an excellent design and construction project. Mine would include reinforcement and a snow plow attatchment at the front. It would need larger wheels fitted with blades in a similar way to a celtic chariot. I would include a few compasionate elements like flashing lights and a load hailer screaming get out of the ****** way!

In fact I am highly suprised that they have not covered this sort of thing in a James Bond movie, I am sure 'Q' could add on a few surface to surface misiles, an oil slick device and a jamming device which would enable you to pass through the checkout area undetected.

Just a few thoughts.

In the meantime my partner and son do the shopping because with an attitude like mine I am a complete nightmare to take along!

Edited by LancsLad

the other week some woman said to me, fu*k you, you c*nt! im still not sure what i did to upset her. maybe i took the last jar of extra crispy peanut butter or something

That's the unpredictability of people for you - and they seem to be at their most unpredictable in the supermarket. Supermarkets are evil I tell you! :devil:

:P:lol:

I do not like supermarkets either and avoid them if possible. If not, I just try to go when it's quiet or take a deep breath and keep mantra-ing to myself "it will only be a short time". Yes it's not the supermarkets per se but all the inconsiderate people and screaming brats whose mums don't know how to control.

thats why I only go to my small sainsburys. Can't cope with anything bigger unless is really necessary.

I just try to go when it's quiet

That's what I usually do too if I have to go in one. Unfortunately they close at 4pm on a Sunday so I had no choice but to go in the afternoon because I needed the bread and stuff!

Anyway rant over! I feel better now for getting that off my chest :)

You sound like me - you forgot to mention the tills though ;)

I would go to supermarkets if they allowed you to bring in your own shopping trolly. I think this could be an excellent design and construction project. Mine would include reinforcement and a snow plow attatchment at the front. It would need larger wheels fitted with blades in a similar way to a celtic chariot. I would include a few compasionate elements like flashing lights and a load hailer screaming get out of the ****** way!

I want one!!!

I went with my housemate for the first time in a while, this was last Monday, and I have now officially been told that we'll never go there together EVER again... I know I was a complete ###### the whole way round - even though I was trying not to be - god knows how bad I would have been if I hadn't been trying to not be a ######...

It just makes me angry - I walk in and I turn into someone else while I'm in there....

What did it was it was a sudden thing, it was suddenly announced we were going and I just didn't handle that very well at all.

When I do have to go - I have this plan you see... I organise the list so that a military operation called "get everything as fast as possible and get out" - ideally in 5 minutes (which never happens). But this time I didn't write the list and stuff from everywhere was all jumbled all over the list...

And I really do turn into someone else, cuz I walk 3 times quicker than is necessary, and people have to get out of the way or die, and when I am blocked I start complaining that I want to shoot everyone with a ray gun so they all disintegrate... At the same time I order whoever I'm with to go get 5 items and I'll meet them a certain number of aisles down and they better be there by the time I am!!!

While they get their instructed list I then attempt to run down about 6 aisles and get half the shopping list in 30 seconds flat in order to shorten the ordeal - which I couldn't do last Monday cuz the list was disorganised and required constant reading and checking - which was peeing me off too.

If anything happens to interfere with this plan I essentially start hissing expletives and insults in the general direction of the person I'm with....

At the till everything has to go in a set order or it drives me nuts and I have to pack the stuff as quick as the person at the checkout can scan it (apart from last Monday cuz my hand hurt so I ended up throwing everything in any old how because it made me stressed cuz it was backing up and it annoys me if that happens....)

Yeah, not good... like I said... I've been outright banned - which makes me feel bad cuz I didn't mean to be that much of a ###### - and also because partly I'm secretly pleased :(:)

Edited by darkshine

You sound like me - you forgot to mention the tills though ;)

Hmm, the tills....

I tend to go through self-service if I can because I hate going through a till with a person sat there and having to try and make small talk. Also I cannot be doing with the constant beeping from the scanning, but at least at self-service it's all under my control, and if I do say so myself I'm pretty quick at it now so I can get out of there a lot quicker too if I just do it myself!

hmmmmm, interesting, think we should ip check you lol

You seem pretty obsessed with IP checks AS Warrior - any reason for that?

Hmm, the tills....

I tend to go through self-service if I can because I hate going through a till with a person sat there and having to try and make small talk. Also I cannot be doing with the constant beeping from the scanning, but at least at self-service it's all under my control, and if I do say so myself I'm pretty quick at it now so I can get out of there a lot quicker too if I just do it myself!

The self service refuses to acknowledge that me or the items I scan exist - it's like I turn into a ghost or something - I occasionally have the same issue with some automatic doors :rolleyes:

Do you know what I find with supermarkets? For some reason I always glance to the security station to see if the security man is there. More often than not they are, and for some reason look in my direction at the same time and make direct eye contact. Straight away I look guilty when in fact I'm just nervous. Then with my anxious type behaviours going around the store I just look more and more guilty. I tend to do things like stop and wait for people to clear off the aisle I'm on before I carry on shopping and things like that - how guilty does that make me look! I half expect to be stopped on my way out, and so always keep my receipt in my hand until I'm out the door even though I know full well I've done nothing wrong!

My trick with that is to smile and say hello (if you can speak) and then I feel I can ignore them - I find it useful, because in acknowledging them, I have took away the barrier that puts them as security guard and me as a potential thief cuz I bet most thieves don't say "hi" :lol: (I find it helps anyway - it might not work for everyone)

I don't like self service and I don't like bad-mannered till people. I expect curtesy and often find myself saying "please!" when the till person tells me the cost.

The good thing having a wife: she does most of the shopping trips :lol::lol::lol:

Is that so you can see that someone hasn't got more than one profile - or for other reasons? Cuz I know an IP tells a person the internet provider, county, city...

Is that so you can see that someone hasn't got more than one profile - or for other reasons? Cuz I know an IP tells a person the internet provider, county, city...

pretty much yeah to check if they have multiple accounts. also if i have a spammer or a troll come in i can report the number, and get them punished.

I feel like I've stumbled into another world with another language :lol:

Sorry lol kinda went way :offtopic: there

:peace:

What I hate most about some supermarkets is the noise, cuz some seem to echo more than others, and the tills can be louder in some than others too...

I know a couple of people who go in the middle of the night when it's empty - I tried it once, it was ok, but the downside is you have to deal with the stock shufflers, cleaners and the stackers, and not everything is out on the shelves cuz they do a fair bit at night - or they did the night I went anyway :D

Edited by darkshine

Sorry lol kinda went way :offtopic: there

:peace:

No problem :) I didn't mind you going off topic at all, just didn't understand what you were going on about :P I'm actually really chuffed my topic has generated posts in reply :D

What I hate most about some supermarkets is the noise, cuz some seem to echo more than others, and the tills can be louder in some than others too...

Yep, totally identify with that! The combination of all the noises, more than not echoed and stuff because of the size of supermarkets, is hard to bear!

I know a couple of people who go in the middle of the night when it's empty - I tried it once, it was ok, but the downside is you have to deal with the stock shufflers, cleaners and the stackers, and not everything is out on the shelves cuz they do a fair bit at night - or they did the night I went anyway :D

That idea doesn't appeal to me at all. I wouldn't want to go in there and it be empty because I'd feel like all the staff were watching me being the only customer in there. Also like you say it's really not fun trying to dodge round the cages left all over the aisles with the new stock in. They block large portions of the shelves to so you can't even get to half of what you want without trying to move the cages, which then leaves the staff unimpressed!

I tend to go later in the evening - like 9pm sort of time. It's late enough that it's quietened down, without them having gotten too far into cleaning and restocking.

so I just had to brave the supermarket. I quickly remembered why I hate it!

Just wanted to say, that even though you hate it, I think it's fantastic that you managed to do it :clap: xx

Just wanted to say, that even though you hate it, I think it's fantastic that you managed to do it :clap: xx

Thank you :D

I hate the self-serve checkouts.

"Please check the bagging area" comes the annoying lady on full volume - the alarms start buzzing; suddenly you feel as if the entire security force of the shop are zoning in on you - "oh whoopsy I didn't put the bread in quite right - shall I try it again" - I replace it "ah that's it - all's happy now er...except the fact the security man's now loitering and all the cameras are now zoomed in - now where were we?". Moving the veg across "Please check the bagging area!!" the woman says LOUDLY again - "Oh now you've really done it this time LOL!!!" alarms blazing - more security, alarms, people looking...STRESS...someone turns the alarm off with a special key...next try the milk...no problem...and the sweetcorn...no problem...ah time to pay up..."did you use any of your own bags?"..."er, no"..."please select method of payment"...cash in...change out..."thank you for shopping with us"...FUMING - FISTS TIGHT - ABOUT TO SCREAM...you rush out and breathe a sigh of relief - "ahhhhh - blue skies at last" you mutter under your breath - you look back into the store to see the security guard loitering near the next unsuspecting customer not realising the self-service till desperately needs recalibrating/upgrading.

AHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

TOO MUCH STRESS - GIVE ME A HUMAN CHECK-OUT ASSISTANT ANY DAY!!!! HELP US SAVE JOBS TOO!!

If you can find out when the quietest times are in the supermarket, normally after lunchtime at schools i think. Then make a list based on what you know is where in the supermarket and see if you can keep to it.

If you can get just a few items from the supermarket, or alternatively go to a farmers market or town market instead. i can get a weeks worth of basic foods for a £10 at my local market.

I hate the self-serve checkouts.

"Please check the bagging area" comes the annoying lady on full volume - the alarms start buzzing; suddenly you feel as if the entire security force of the shop are zoning in on you - "oh whoopsy I didn't put the bread in quite right - shall I try it again" - I replace it "ah that's it - all's happy now er...except the fact the security man's now loitering and all the cameras are now zoomed in - now where were we?". Moving the veg across "Please check the bagging area!!" the woman says LOUDLY again - "Oh now you've really done it this time LOL!!!" alarms blazing - more security, alarms, people looking...STRESS...someone turns the alarm off with a special key...next try the milk...no problem...and the sweetcorn...no problem...ah time to pay up..."did you use any of your own bags?"..."er, no"..."please select method of payment"...cash in...change out..."thank you for shopping with us"...FUMING - FISTS TIGHT - ABOUT TO SCREAM...you rush out and breathe a sigh of relief - "ahhhhh - blue skies at last" you mutter under your breath - you look back into the store to see the security guard loitering near the next unsuspecting customer not realising the self-service till desperately needs recalibrating/upgrading.

AHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

TOO MUCH STRESS - GIVE ME A HUMAN CHECK-OUT ASSISTANT ANY DAY!!!! HELP US SAVE JOBS TOO!!

That description is just pure class, I love it!!

I can't say I've ever had an incident that dramatic on a self-service checkout, but I can well imagine it from your description.

unexpected item in bagging area, please remove this item before continuing

This is seriously annoying and happens all the time! The other similar one is when you scan an item, put it in the bagging area and the machine tells you the item weight is wrong.

Imagine what its like being the person employed to watch the self-service tills and sort out the issues. They must hear 'unexpected item in bagging area' in their sleep :lol:

i turn the sound off on the machines then call someone over, it helps because i can try and fix the problem 1st

before asking for help. Look for the mute button symbol similar to one on most tv remotes.

i turn the sound off on the machines then call someone over, it helps because i can try and fix the problem 1st

before asking for help. Look for the mute button symbol similar to one on most tv remotes.

I didn't even know you could do that!!

:cheers:

SS and AS-warrior anytime, i just recognised the mute button one day and pressed it or i asked

someone with me or staff to 'please turn the sound off because it is behind me and driving me mad'.

i hate supermarkets when there busy i usually find another aisle and go down that aisle to get to the other aisle or i push passed them. i am claustraphobic so anyone in front of me i want them out way quick

Glad its not just me that struggles with the self service. I am not autistic, but when I rush in with my child who is, I always look at the queue and think the self service will be quicker. It argues with me over the way I pack every item, the red light constantly flashes, the member of staff look at me like I am a complete idiot as i can not manage to use the damn thing!!

The whole time my child is running off or is often leaning or sitting in the bagging area!! As the "helpful" member of staff pointed out - he is the unexpected item in the bagging area!!

I can't stand the supermarket!!!

I particularly hate it when I had talked myself into going for a quick visit and the gits have moved the thing I am after to a different place in the shop!

Why can't they leave things alone.

Also cant understand why you stand in a checkout queue for 30 minutes with someone infront of you and when the person infront is served they spend another 10 minutes fiddeling in their purse for vouchers, credit card etc and want a chat about uncle Freds bunions with the person operating the till!!

Sorry but OAP's are the worst. Can't we have an OAP free day when they are not permitted by law to leave the house to go to the shops!!

I'm with you on that one Sidious - what with all these mobility scooters and extra wide trolleys with sharp-angled wheels designed seemingly to ensure no one else will be very mobile for much longer.

And be careful where you walk on the footpath as Old Man Ron comes flying down at 25mph on his light-spectacular scooter flinging his stick this way and that with a look like Satan's thunder across his face! "Out the way you charlots - move it, move it!!!" he drawls!

I think they aught to need licences to drive them and have special footpath codes to follow such as giving way to pedestrians at all times and keeping within a speed limit of say 2mph.

Glad its not just me that struggles with the self service. I am not autistic, but when I rush in with my child who is, I always look at the queue and think the self service will be quicker. It argues with me over the way I pack every item, the red light constantly flashes, the member of staff look at me like I am a complete idiot as i can not manage to use the damn thing!!

The whole time my child is running off or is often leaning or sitting in the bagging area!! As the "helpful" member of staff pointed out - he is the unexpected item in the bagging area!!

That is also what i do the self checkout ive done it over a year now to avoid going down the queue aisle i could not wait ages.

That made me laugh so much! Not a pleasant experience for you I can imagine, but just the idea of your child being the unexpected item in the bagging area seemed really funny for some reason! :lol: I find half the time I'M leaning on it or something without even realising so it turns out I'm the unexpected item in the bagging area :lol: