Sign in to follow this  
Viper

Comfort objects?

Ben has recently taken to a spotty dog we bought him for Christmas. It is a smallish toy from sainsbury's. I got it to try and help him stop hugging our real dog too much, it has worked but he seems to have taken it to extreams.

He bought himself another dog, the same one only a smaller version and has recently found a tiny black and white dog in my DD's room that he also carries around.

This is not a problem except when he goes to bed he takes all three with him then he comes down, forgetting his dogs and I have to go up and get them, then when he goes to sleep on the sofa, I have to carry him and all his dogs upstairs, I'm thinking of getting a backpack.

The plus side is when he has violent tantrums, his dogs are the only thing that are safe, he wil throw anything except them and often uses them to calm himself down by talking over his problems with them. B) On the down side I am dreading him seeing anymore black and white dogs in case he wants them, I can only carry so many :lol:

Does anyone elses kids have comfort objects and if so what are they?

Viper.

My sons had a few over the years, first one was RedTed (but he was a dog) musical soft toy that went everywhere with him from him being tiny, always having to stitch him back together, then we ended up with scorpy and squiddy a plastic scorpion and a plastc squid, suitably named. They went everwhere. At the minute its his gameboy that tends to go everywhere with him instead.

Furbies - :wacko::wacko::wacko: ###### Furbies everywhere at one time - all talking to each other.

He used to suck their toes and I was just glad that Fergie was too old for him!!

Furbies have beautiful eyes and I have a theory - most of the ASD kids I have met have the most beautiful eyes - do you think there was a connection?

Love

HelenL

My son has never really been into comfort objects. Never really clung to anything BUT having said that, when he was wildly into the new Lion King disney movie, he had a free Simba teddy with the DVD and he took it everywhere with him including bed and on outings. That lasted about 3mths and then got dumped back under his bed in his toy box. LOL An't seen it in a while, wonder if it's disintergrated??? :blink:

As of now though, he has nothing. :(

Edited by Tylers-mum

Everybody who meets my son always comment on his eyes, this has been since he was tiny. They're very big with extremely long eye lashes.

I once read somewhere that autistic kids tend to have this feature along with coarse hair and rough bumpy skin on the back of the upper arms. I have never heard or read this anywhere since, so not sure if there's any truth in it. :rolleyes:

julian has a dog called (oddly enough) doggy (although he says doddy now for some reason) this dog has been everywhere and I mean everywhere. When we got married in the seychelles we had to take it with us, I put a collar on it with his name and address on incase he got lost. Now he has to sleep with him and occasionally he gets taken out with us but generally it is only when he is upset or stressed or tired :dance:>:D<<'>

I know that Hans Asperger did comment that the children that he observed were extraordinarily beautiful.

All children are beautiful, but I have always been struck by the eyes of ASD kids being like lovely big pools of gentleness.

Probably not so apparent when they are going off on one :fight::fight:

I don't know how to do a poll but I bet big, beautiful eyes would be a feature common in all our ASD kids.

HelenL

2 x brown knuffels

1 x black lab

1 x white bear

1 x blanket

1 x warm blanket

1 x hot wheat bear

we tend to go away by car - can you imagine that lot on a plane!! :lol:

The Quilt!!!! I bought her a patchwork style junior bed duvet from mothercare some years ago and cursed that I hadn't bought two, it stunk all the time because of her messing the bed and stuff but she wouldn't let it go :rolleyes: Hit the jackpot a couple of weeks ago though when I found an exact same one on the car boot sale for �4!!! B):dance: In much better condition than hers too, although I did wonder whether she would notice the difference, she's fine with it so I'm over the moon and yay that woman at the boot sale B)

My son always takes his "beebo" to bed, thats his comfort blanket. He also takes certain cuddly frogs to bed too, he`s been collecting frogs for a while now.

He also likes to take the inside of a casey football to bed, it`s called bouncy.

Apart from those he likes to chew anything metal, zips, toys and even the bedframe.

H has 2 baby blankets called "nings" which I bought when I was expecting him. They get v smelly and go everywhere! When I realised how important they were I hunted every John Lewis in the country to get some more but they stopped making them!!

My worst nightmare is that they get lost! At the moment he is playing on his playstation sitting on one and one over his feet!

Even though he is now 15 my son Mark still hangs on to a little brown monkey that he's had for many years. His name is Fred and Mark will tell you he is his best friend. Mind you over the years Fred has come in useful. I remember sitting in a hearing test with Mark on my knee and Fred on his and when he heard the noise through the headphones it was Fred that raised his hand not Mark.

Fred has been everywhere including down the loo :wacko:

We wrote social stories about Fred and he has helped many times to get us out of sticky situations.

Even now wherever Mark is you can be sure that Fred is not far away. :huh:

My son has a 2 soft E.T toys ( a big one and a little one) bought at differant times but he is so attached to both of them. He has built a whole imaginary world around them - he says they sort out dreams for him at night (he calls them his 'dream-makers) and the tales that arise from this world are fantastic, the E't's often communicate with him when he is stressed. About a year ago he found another E.T for sale he bought it and gave it to me - so now I too have my own dream-maker and we get to compare notes, and swap various dream-maker gadgets! Marvellous :D . Have to admit I'm now very attached to mine too!

Luv Witsend.

My son loves the Max & Ruby cartoon, about a year ago he was trawling through websites when he came across a Max cuddly toy, but they were from America, he pleaded and pleaded for one, and as luck would have it my dad lives in the US and was coming over for a visit. He said he trawled around a thousand shops asking if they sold a rabbit called Max :lol: eventually he struck lucky and one shop knew what he was talking about and ordered one, they are not cheap either, so I hoped my son would not just toss it aside :rolleyes: I could not have been more wrong, that Max goes absolutely everywhere, but as my son is now getting quite tall he does get some strange looks carrying a cuddly toy under his arm :wacko:

But I do tell my dad that his money was very well spent :)

Brook

I must admit, I get into a blind panic if we are out and someone suddenly says 'wheres Max' phew palpitations :robbie:

Edited by Brook

Brook, my son loves max and ruby too, his best friend is Max, imaginary of course, He plays Monopoly with him all the time, I wish I could get him one.

Viper.

Hi Viper,

If you type in Max and Ruby, on the search, there are lots of sites where you can order one :)

Well worth the money if they are really into it :D

Good luck

Brook

My son has always carried a pair of swimming trunks around , over the years this has increased to now two pairs,which are in tatters and definetely not! allowed to be washed :)

I used to have a blanket that I would sniff as a child, I can still remember the smell and feel of it. Mum eventually weaned me off it, the withdrawals were terrible. I love my cats. I hug and kiss them, hold their hands (paws) and lay with them, looking into their eyes and talking to them. I spend a lot of time with the cats, they are family. I also talk to insects especially bumblebees. I live in a reclusive fashion, rarely going out because I am so different and get picked on a lot. I apologise if I tread on a crack in the pavement, I worry about hurting the concrete :blink: