pets

Hi all

you might think its an unusual question

but I just wondered how your kids coped with pets,

how gentle they were and whether they were actually

kind to them or not

Tracey

Hi Tracey,

my son who is nearly seven (ASD), likes animals, but cannot stand the smell of them, he has never been cruel to an animal. We looked after our inlaws dog for a week, it is a little tiny dog and my boys loved it, my eldest was playing ball with it when all of a sudden he got a bit of doggie saliva on his hands, he went hysterical :unsure: ,

but he did not give up on the dog, he went and got himself a glove :D .

If we visit a farm it turns into a bit of a nightmare, as my son wants to look at the animals, but obviously the smell is overwhelming to him and really sets him off.

I'm afraid the only pets they have are two goldfish :lol:

Brook

Hi Tracey

My son is cruel to our cat who's only 1 year old, here's some of the things he has done to him in the past.

Put his hands around his neck...

Hit him

Flick him

Tease him

Aggravate him alot

Kicks him

I could go on, but now it's not that bad just teases him, caught him hitting him now and again, but mainly aggravating him...ALOT. :angry:

He has scratched his face/arm but that was my son's fault for not leaving him alone. We have a fish but doesn't take any notice of that. Other animals he his nervous but sometimes he his friendly cant tell what mood he his in. Too be honest he does cuddle him alot in the house but tends to do it too much and he doesn't like it and the cat is already spoilt...... :shame::shame:

Take care

Amanda >:D<<'>

Edited by Amanda32

Hi,

Kai loves animals (except dogs). We have two cats which he does tease occasionally (what kid doesn't?), but 99% of the time he is really gentle with them.

However, when he was going through a really bad patch last year (due to home tutor problems), he picked up the kitten and swung her against the bed :(:( . He came straight to me and told me what he'd done and he was really upset. He hasn't done anything mean to her since.

Loulou x

Hi Tracey -

My son loves all animals, and wouldn't harm one deliberately for the world, but sadly when we briefly had a cat a couple of years ago he just couldn't cope...

He would become totally hyper watching/playing with the cat, and was completely unable to leave the poor thing alone even for a moment. No nastiness involved (well not intentional, anyway) but the cat was very VERY uncomfortable most of the time. I held off the inevitable for as long as i could, hoping and hoping that things would calm down, but in the end we had to find the cat a new home for his own sake :crying::crying:

Ben now keeps fish, which may not sound like the most exciting pets, but he does think a lot of them. Over the past couple of years he's also calmed down considerably, to the point that the possibility of a cat (That's possibility in terms of coping with, not any deep 'Schroedinger' metaphysical nature of reality type thing - so clear off Nemo, Zemanski, Lucas etc!) is becoming more of an option... Time for some deep thought...

Incidentally: Ben has recently turned 8, so he was just 6 when he couldn't cope. Also he has ADHD as well as his ASD, so a kid without the 'push-me-pull-you' effect in full swing might handle things better.

Hope that's helpful

L&P

BD :D

Hi Tracy,

I must admit, when Alex (15) was younger we had a pet mouse fatality experience :o so decided there and then small pets were not the best idea.

We've got 2 Staffordshire Bull Terriers now, tough as old boots and daft enough not to mind being dressed up in clothes (not the sort you are thinking Badders) :lol: I wouldn't recommend them with small children but for older ones they're great.

Annie

XX

Edited by annie

We keep Guniea Pigs as our pets and they are Matthews big passion. He is sometimes a bit rough with them but never hurts them. When I say rough I should really say that he sometimes smothers them with his love :lol: He can squeze just a little too hard but he now knows that if they squeak he has to release his grip. They have given us a great deal of subject matter for our home education

When we first got these creatures he was OTT with them for a few weeks. But they live in cages and I would simply return them to their cages and not allow him to open the cage. Yes we had a few battles but the longer they lived with us the more Matthew calmed down.

Our two have wonderful natures and the male is also quite a character. He follows us up and down stairs, which Matthew loves, knows his name and comes when called and will sleep on your lap, which again Matthew loves.

They are, in my opinion good pets for kids with autism as they have to be pushed really hard before they will even nip you. I, in fact, am the only one in our house to have been bitten and that was only because at one point we had two males. They lived seperatley but Chocolate (the Character) can also let himself out of his cage now. He head buts the door open. He got out and was making his way over to his brother, teeth chattering, a sign of anger, and my foot got in the way. Ouch - but all in all they make great pets.

Carole

We have a dog and two cats. The dog has an excellent temperment, mind he'd have to with my kids. The cats are smart, first sniff of trouble and they bolt for the door.

I have noticed the children can be quite cruel at times with the animals, I have to tell them that they are hurting the animals and them they stop, but all in all there are real benefits to having animals in the house.

Our dog has an understanding that the kids need extra help, when tried camping he trailed my youngest everywhere and whenever he wandered towards the stream nearby the dog went mental.

I have two AS boys 4 and 8, and 2 dongs one not deciesed

8 loves anaimals and out not hurt a fly dileberatly

4 could not care less but the dogs are family and some time takes out his frustration on the dog but it could equaly be us he has a go at

When one dog had to be put down that had to be stage manged very carefully. fortunatly we knew it was on the cards.

Monday we said he was wery ill and if the cet could not fix he he would die

Wednesday He went to the vets and was put down we told the kids he was staying the night in hospital

Friday We told the school and stain we would tell them on the Weekend

Saterday we told them hugs all round

Monday 8 told his cclass and showed the collar

Tuesday 8 cam home whith back of sweets form his class mates

The girls in his class were always so sweet with him

I dont this ASD kids can be wholy responcible for a pet, but then wehat kid can ? I do think they can enjoy them just an much though, if not even a bt more

J

My son accidently killed my goldfish - one of them was 10 years old. My little cherub was transferring the dish water (complete with fairy washing up liquid) into the goldfish tank................ :devil:

Henry goes from absolutly terriefied to facinated by them, he has on occasion pushed the cat away, but on the whole he just ignores it.

My son accidently killed my goldfish - one of them was 10 years old. My little cherub was transferring the dish water (complete with fairy washing up liquid) into the goldfish tank................ :devil:

We bought ours a fish as a pet once, unfortunately he took it out and stroked it to death, apparently thats what you do with pets, stroke em!! :wacko:

We bought ours a fish as a pet once, unfortunately he took it out and stroked it to death, apparently thats what you do with pets, stroke em!! :wacko:

And his name was George...And I would hug him, and pet him, and... Oh George, he was my little Bunny Rabbit...

Gosh, it's hot... ;)

:george:

Hi

Mine loves the dog - the dog can take a bit of rough play, and as my son can be clumsy, that's just as well. We got the dog with our son in mind, and it has worked out well.

He was useless with the goldfish (lost interest very quickly) - he liked the rats more, but forgot to play with them - or clean them out. Good job I liked them

He likes the cats - they don't much like him.

My son is quite high-functioning, and has quite a lot of empathy - I would be hesitant about pets if empathy is a real problem. I suspect it could make a child appear cruel, simply because he/she might not understand that a pet has feelings or needs.

we have 2 cats and got them as kittens - Andrew is very affectionate with them - and still gets concerned if they are not in for the night - if they didn't come home at one time he would lay awake until they were in - even till 1 - 2 am - he is very gentle and loving with them he must ask about 20 times a day for you to "look at Brandy" just because she is lying in a cute position, and likes to know if they are in or out the house all the time. the cats are often sought out if he is feeling really stressed as he recognises that stroking the cats makes him calm.

we did had our share of hamsters, rabbits, g'pigs and the gerbils - they were his favourites - (Sonic, Knuckles & Tails) they died of natural causes one by one and I can stil hear the wail of pure anguish when the last one was discoved with it's legs in the air - he is adamant that he does not want any more gerbils as "it hurts too much when they die".

hth

Carol

Hi Tracey

We are Guinea pigs keepers here.C does get a little over powering with them and sometimes tries stuffing grass down their throats other than that he's quite kind.I think he is being kind when trying to get it to eat .

If only we'd get away with that with him he might eat more LOL !!!

:D

Hi

We have 2 cats at home when we had the first one 18 month ago she was around 3 months and my son would not leave her alone but she is very clever and would climb on wardrobe to be out of reach then we trained him to have cuddles with the cat only 3 times a day and then only when she was happy with it which is not very often in fact I think we have an autistic cat she is very difficult with food and does not like cuddles very much. Eventualy she had kittens 4 and we kept one, they were lovely and H learn to be very considerate with the lot, the baby now 4 month is very human orientated he is so happy >:D<<'> >:D<<'> to be cuddled and carried H is delighted and this kitten really calm him down instantly when he is upset ready for a big tantrum I stick the cat near him and it is like magic kitten purrs and H calms down, amazing bless them. Well we all cat lovers anyway.... :wub::wub: before that we had fishes and hamster but H was not allowed to touch the Hamster without supervision fishes are not so cuddly so ....

H is very caring and on the morning specially week-end he give them huge amount of food thanks god cats are self controled mind the baby is nearly as big as his mummy now !!! B)

Best wishes

Malika. :robbie::robbie::robbie:

we have had our cat and dog since before col was born

The problems we have found though are that becuase our dog is so gentle and timid - he seems to think that all dogs are the same and will quite happily run up to a dog off the lead to make a fuss of them - we have had to work very veryhard on getting him to ask the owner if he can make a fuss - but then that goes against our stranger danger teachings.... its a difficult balance - now hes getting that bit older though hes gettin g abit better... we also had the problem of him trying to ride on the dogs back and nearly broke his back - we had a scary few days at the vets and col was mortified that he had hurt him - but saw it in a cartoon so he thought it would be ok.

As I said - hes learnt in time though that they are not to be messed with - he kinda leaves them alone and they do the same. - so its alright now

DS is very interested in animals and quite good with them. He knows you have to be gentle. MIL's dog doesn't bark at him, letting him hug him and stuff. Dog is a very sturdy bassett hound. When ds stayed with MIL he got up one morning and could be heard chatting to someone. MIL was most entertained to find him having an in depth conversation with the dog.

DS is fascinated by reptiles and the reptiles in the pet shop seem to get all excited when he goes near the tanks. We have a rabbit that is a bit put off by the fact that he moves too quickly and has poked her by accident. That is the rabbit not him really.

I would love a dog but we can't have one because we are very busy and we have bunny indoors. Maybe in the future.....

We have a dog and a cat and when things are going bad for kieran(19) he often grabs the dog round the throat or gives him a swift kick and how i long for the day when the dog retaliates and bites him, not that he would though because he s a lovely natured dog but i just tell kieran if you kick or strangle the dog again i ll do it to you that seems to work but sometimes he can be really good with him they often sit on the floor huddled up together

Two dogs and two cats. The dogs are border collies and just love the kids playing with them (though my youngest does tend to hype them and BE hyped by them). Bill (DS1 AS) is really brilliant with all the animals, we saw a huge change in him when we got the first dog (hense getting the 2nd) in that he would talk to the dog with loads of expression in his voice, which he could never manage normally. The expression is being used more in his speech with people now and I'm convinced it's because of the practice he's had with the dogs.

Lauren

We have a lizard which Mikey really likes, very sedate character and he doesn't make a noise, and a dog he hates :rolleyes: can't win them all I suppose. We had a snake which died over a year ago and he liked that. He's very gentle with them, just hates it when they are boisterous with him.

He would love to turn my living room, or house actually into an aquarium, but his little brother became an absolute menace last time we got a tank, throwing all kinds in and almost zapping himself a few times playing with it so we had to get rid of it.

Hiya,

We had a little yorkshire terrier and Robyn would not leave her alone she would dress it up and push it round the garden in her pram. She would want to take it for a walk then put it on the neighbours wall and drag it.

She would take its dinner and hide it or try to eat it while the dog was eating it. Causing the dog to snap at her she now has a scar on her nose.

We once could not find the dog and had the place upside down looking for it, Robyn was equally worried that the dog was lost.

We went into her bedroom and could hear whimpering, on closer inspection we opened the oven door on her toy kitchen and there was the dog with a number of plastic veggies. Robyn then said aaaarrrhhh there she is, I forgot I was making tea!!!!!!!

She once came in the livingroom inspecting her finger, I asked what was on her finger, she said I think its poo, she had only gone and stuck her finger up the dogs bum!!!!!

Sadly the dog died a couple of years ago and Robyn was uncontrollable, She could not understand that the dog had gone to heaven and was not coming back. She kept bringing her money box and telling us to go and get a taxi and bring her home. No matter how many times we explained it to her she could not grasp it. She would cry in the middle of the night and this went on for a couple of months.

We decided that due to the way Robyn treated the dog and the way she reacted when the dog died, that we would not put her through that distress ever again.

It was a bad experience for us, but as with all As kids they are different and your child maybe the complete opposite to Robyn.

The best advice that I could give is to do a trial ie: mind a family/friends pet and see how they react with having the pet 24/7.

Good luck , Whatever your decision maybe.

Kerry

We had been considering getting a cat for some time so this thread came at a very useful time for us. In the end we decided to go ahead, and the cat arrived on Wednesday. So far it has been a great hit. E has been so empathetic with it - when it first arrived and was a bit nervous she gave it lots of space, and after a while got down to its level and stroked it very gently. The cat was thrilled and is being very affectionate to her. The day after the cat arrived, E went up to it, and said to me "what is that?" I told her it was a cat and she said "it's new". Bearing in mind she is almost completely non-verbal, I was over the moon! It's early days still but I have a feeling this is going to be very good for her.

Hi

I have heard quite few stories about non verbal autistic children starting to talk thank to their pets really great !!! :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

All the best Malika.