Sign in to follow this  
darky

dla

FINALY the letter came and we have got dla for our son now for 2 years! we got middle rate but no mobility. i am a little disapointed we didnt get mobility especialy at the level of difficullty he has with motor skills and co-ordination, but i am just pleased we at least got it first time! B)

I have heard about being able to get help with my son but since ive not saw anyone since the dx im not sure what to do or where to go :(

He was only dx 3 wks ago but as many of you will know, it feels like 3 mths and it's been years since we knew something was up with him but anyway its done now so im not going to go back into the past (yet again)

My son is 9 1/2 and quite a heavy boy although small in high, he has broken about 3 or 4 beds (and 2 of his sister's beds) in the past and as we have 6 kids we can't always replace things straight away.

Also im continually buying him clothes, shoes, coats etc to find them "lost" or torn to pieces or just refuses to wear them.

Is this what its for?

I work but had to make sure im there to pick him up as i cant let him walk (has no road sense and god knows where he would end up either) also his grandad, aunts, uncles etc cant always handle him as he likes his own room and they dont understand his "behaviour"

Can i only earn so much?

i work 57 hrs a mth + 8 hrs every saturday = 89 hrs a mth but only earn �5 hr.

Thank you

Julie xxx

Julie

I think you may be getting two allowances confused.

There is Diability Living Alloance (DLA) that is not dependent on your income or circumstaces, just the needs of your child and it is to cover precisely the kinds of things you describe.

There is also carers allowance for someone who looks after a person who gets DLA where there is an earnings limit of (I think) around �80 a week, you may need to drop an hour or two here of there but that's all.

Your best bet would be to pop along to your ciotizens advice bureau where they can explain it all to you. When you have the DLA from come back her and ask for advice.

Phone your local DWP office in the morning and ask them for a DLA form for a person under 16. They will backdate any benefit to when you requested the form so it's worth asking for it now, even if you do not intend to fill it in for a few weeks.

Simon

congrats. One of my jobs while having a break from career is to get dla sorted - every time I sit down to do the form I feel ill. It depresses me so much. I really admire you.

Thanx Simon

I was told that as i live in Scotland i had to wait for a "record of needs" to come through before you can claim for anything????

Anyway i will phone the CAB and see what happens but i feel that im using my son for money as he is no different now to what he was like for the past 5 yrs except it gets harder and he gets heavier and stronger and ....... ok, ok it does get worse :crying: didn't want to say that.

Anyway might give up the saturday job if i need to (get paid monthly for 1 day a week anyway grrrr :angry: )

Also hubby tends to get a little stressed out (iv never worked before when the kids were not at school) so im sure he'll be chuffed LOL.

Thanx again for the advice and help :thumbs:

Take care

Julie xx

Weldone!!! B)

Is your son over 5yrs old?? I couldn't get mobility under after his 5th birthday, then I got awarded low rate. Just thought I'd mention that incase you didnt know!