Sign in to follow this  
fiorelli

HELP!!!

Louis has been excluded.

Permanently.

Anyone know where this leaves us with regards to his statement and schooling?

Sorry I have no advice, but just thought I'd send you one of these >:D<<'>

someone will be along soon who will have some advice I'm sure.

Brook

Fiorelli >:D<<'>

Can you let us have anymore details, please, as this might make it easier to give advice.

But plenty of these, anyway :(

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Bid :(

sorry,

As you probably know from previous posts, he cannot cope with full-time mainstream school, and as his EOTAS unit placement is coming to an end, he has had to spend 2 full days in school this week (yesterday and today).

Yesterday, I was phoned at 3.00pm and asked to pick him up. Not entirely clear on the reasons, but I believe it was because he was causing a major disruption to the class and a school as a whole (when he goes into a meltdown, he wanders/runs around the school until teachers can contain him. When they contain him, he 'usually' ends up trashing a classroom)

Today I was phoned again at 3.00pm asking me to pick him up again. This time, I was told that the headteacher would want to speak to me.

He hit a girls head quite severly against a window (luckily not enough to smash the window, and cause serious harm to the girl), but after this he ran. (he runs when he knows he has done something wrong, but doesn't know how to deal with it).

Apparently they had most of the school teachers out looking for him, as he had gotten off school premises.

They managed to get him back into the school and when I arrived, they had him cornered into his little 'nook' in the classroom, and his class mates were in the hall.

It is a culmination of all this that they are excluding him, but I will not know the exact wording they are using until I get the forms tomorrow.

Get in touch with IPSEA they have an exclusions help line, also you need to get intouch with the exclusion officer at the LEA asap, and PPS if yours are any good.

HTH HHxx

Oh Fiorelli I didn't mean to be so abrupt ... these are for you and yours

>:D<<'> >:D< >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

I'm so sorry for you both, HHxx

The best bit about his exclusion???

This...

A parents guide to the exclusions process

September 2003

What does exclusion mean?

An exclusion means that a pupil is not allowed to attend school or go onto school premises for a period of time or permanently. However, Hampshire Local Education Authority (LEA) and schools work with parents, pupils and a wide range of other agencies to help prevent exclusions. Government guidance has been published called Social Inclusion: Pupil Support (Circular 10/99) which advises schools on managing behaviour. This was updated in January 2003. It makes it clear that an exclusion will normally only be used after a range of preventative strategies and sanctions have been tried and failed.

Which is copy and pasted from our LEA's website. So..how am I supposed to take my middle son to school? I don't have anyone to watch Louis while I take MS to school.

Get in touch with IPSEA they have an exclusions help line, also you need to get intouch with the exclusion officer at the LEA asap, and PPS if yours are any good.

HTH HHxx

Ask Smileymab what she thinks of our PPS...

will contact the LEA tomorrow after I have talked to hubby when he gets home.

This is probably a VERY inappropriate time to post this but I am speaking to a journalist at The Observer about this issue at the moment - if all else fails - let me know.

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> Carole

>:D<<'> Oh Hunni.. >:D<<'>

What a bloomin' nightmare.. :(

Our PP woman is utterly useless....she turned up fo a meeting i had with school, EP etc....didn't utter a word until i began to discuss statementing.....she then sided firmly with the head (as in....'oh, no, far too much money' :angry: ). She was rude, abrupt and far too on the side of the LEA. She hasn't contacted me since the meeting, although she promised to do so. I got the distinct impression she wasn't there for me - just there to persuade me not to 'annoy' the LEA. Very frustrating. And i know how much she has let fiorelli down :(:wallbash: .

Phone everyone you can think of IPSEA etc, etc, etc (- I'd be very tempted to talk to Carole ;) )

And you know where i am if you need me >:D<<'>

I need you to PM me NOW with as much information as possible. DX, past history, everything you can think of that might be relevant. First thing to check is that they have followed the book on this. Will get onto this as soon as possible for you. In the meantime get onto IPSEA first thing in the morning

I've got to go and get on with some stuff for college (due in tomorrow) so I'm forcing myself off the net! I'll check back later if I can, if not tomorrow. I'll help if I can.

sorry, just PM'd you phasmid.

Smileymab recieved your pm. thank you. you're right about PP lady she couldn't be bothered to call me back either (sorry, she left a message, but didn't chase up that I had recieved it).

I don't know where she would stand though with Louis, and his school - they WANT him to have a statement!!! - totally against her grain there, so she would be no help at all!

Am going to call IPSEA tomorrow after speaking to HT in the morning, and will speak to my uncle who runs a support group, and used to be a social worker, so hopefully he can give me some help.

Thank you all that have posted. >:D<<'>

Hi fiorelli love

Sorry no advise never been in this situation before thankfully but hope everything gets sorted and I'm sure someone on the site will be fantastic and help point you in the right direction.

P.S don't give up choose what keep fighting we are the kids voices

Lisa x

:star:

fiorelli

lots of hugs first

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

go with Phas, he really knows his stuff on this and will give good specific advice.

stay strong

Zemanski

Where in Hants are you fiorelli? I may know someone who can help you.

It certainly does not sound like the school has followed the rules on exclusion. It sounds like EOTAS wanted to be rid of him, and forced him back into mainstream without adequate support/training in the school.

Did he have no LSA watching him, to prevent the incident with the girl? The school probably think if they exclude him, the LEA will give him a statement.

Karen

Hi fiorelli love

P.S don't give up choose what keep fighting we are the kids voices

Lisa x

:star:

I don't intend on giving up! I am going into school tomorrow, and I'm gonna get the letter the headteacher promised me about all the provisions they have done for Louis. As soon as I have that, a letter will be going to the LEA about his statement application. As soon as his granny finds out what is happening, she will be writing letters to all in sundry as well.

Hey, it wouldn't be a proper fight without all these obstacles now would it!?!?!!!!

Watch out! Fiorelli's about!!!!!

:ninja::lol::ninja:

North Hants Kazzen.

He 'should' have had an LSA 1-2-1 with him. But I know from experience, that all she needs to do is turn her back for a couple of seconds, and he can suddenly 'turn' on someone.

The school have actually said that this may make it HARDER for us to get a statement. so I don't think that is the reason they have excluded him. But then maybe I am looking through rose-tinted glasses?

Fiorelli

I am so sorry that it has come to this.

It seems to me that the school cannot have followed the correct procedures to have gone straight for permanent exclusion, so that is not good and I would echo what others have said about contacting IPSEA etc.

I am sure things seem pretty bleak right now and I'm not going to minimise the impact of that. But as the saying goes every coud has a silver lining.

The idea that as long as the school tries a few coping mechanisms your son will beable to reintegrate into mainstream has now been shown to be ludicrous, and hopefully efforts will now be concerntrated on finding a solution that does meet your sons needs.

Sending you a few of these

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Simon

Fiorelli, >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

I am so sorry. I hope the LEA realise that this school cannot meet your child's needs, that they agree to go ahead with a statutory assessment. If they do agree I would be asking for it to be fast tracked and consideration given to an emergency placement, if they can find a suitable placement.

I agree with the others, making calls to IPSEA, NAS advocacy and ACE seems like a good idea. You can never have enough information.

Nellie >:D<<'>

I am so sorry for you and your son! His 1-2-1? Can you find out what training she has had? Is it sufficant for you sons particular needs or is she just a glorifed babysitter? The problem seems to be that he runs. Can you suggest the creation of a "quiet room", an empty space where your son can go when he is feeling stressed - not a classroom? Then encourage the school and him to go there and he will be safe from interference, he can do anthing he wants to do in there scream bite the walls or sit. But the school must understand that there can be no punitive measures while he is in the room. This is something used in a few schools around here, but not many...

Thanks for your replies Nvapid and Lauren.

Nvapid, the school had set up a 'safe nook' (a corner of the room that was screened off) that Louis could go to. They are also in the process of changing an old store room into a safe quiet room (calm lighting/soft furniture etc etc) which was principally because Louis needed somewhere to go.

Louis 1-2-1 was actually a special needs assistant (who also runs the social skills group with another SNA), I don't know whether she had any experience of AS/ADHD, but she was very good with Louis. But the school were very proactive in sending Louis's teachers and helpers on courses that would help them.

Unfortunately, none of this has helped, and as you will see from my other recent posts, he has (is) being permanently excluded from the school.