puffin

A little proud moment

My AS daughter has always had extreme difficulties doing anything in a group and often hid under tables or ran away from nursery and school etc. Group activities were always a nightmare as she could not function in groups.

However when she was 6 she decided that she wanted to be a figure skater!!! This was a huge problem as she lacked balance and coordination, training was in a group and neither Mr Puffin nor I could as much as stand up on skates - yet she had a vision of herself floating around like an ice-princess.

Well training was a nightmare at first, she would really want to go but then not want to when we got there or come off the ice after a few minutes of practice because she couldn't cope she had panic attacks and got upset. Gradually she learned some of the moves and this year they learned their first routine.

Then they announced that there would be a competition where they would compete the routine. We were really worried, how would she ever cope? We waited for the panic attacks and the refusals - but she said she wanted to do the competition. So Sunday was the day and we packed skates and dress and headed to the rink - although it turned out that she had not realised that this was THE day. But she still said she was going to do it she seemed stressed but determined.

It was such a proud moment when she skated out onto the ice - and then about a minute into the routine a crashing fall while skating on one leg - but she hopped straight back up and completed her routine- she got a little trophy and certificate and we threw flowers on the ice. The rest of the day she was exhausted - mentally rather than physically from having to sit in a changing room full of people waiting her turn, controlling her stress, focussing on what she had to do during her routine.

She was not the best or the most graceful - but we were SO proud as I think that her journey had been the greatest - it felt as though we'd all come a long way

Well done little Puffin :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::clap::clap::clap:

It's great when they can overcome their natural fears to achieve something.

My AS son recently achieved his yellow belt in Tae Kwondo. After this achievement he spent the whole night being sick, I still don't know whether it was the result of a tummy bug or just the after-effects of the nerves.

Hope she continues with her chosen sport :D

As a mum who's been there, I know how you felt. Congratulations to your daughter. :clap: Know all about the exhaustion and sickness afterwards as well, it just shows how much extra effort our children have to put in and additional stress they have to cope with.

Congratulations to her, she sounds as though she did brilliantly :D

Edited by Bullet

Well done to little puffin, and to you for supporting her. Great hearing the nice stories which give us hope as parents as sometimes we do think we'll never see any progress. Being the best or most graceful isn't something I'd be bothered about, its took a lot for her to do this, more than most NT children, you've got every right to be extremely proud.