phasmid

Sect 1 para 27 of the SEN CoP...

This is for my research so a serious question. 1.27 states:

As with all policies, the SEN policy should be subject to a regular cycle of monitoring, evaluation and review. Thus governing bodies must, on at least an annual basis, consider and report on, the effectivness of the school's work on behalf of children with SEN. In drawing up their annual report they may wish to consult support services used by the school, other schools and parents. In the light of evaluation and the response to consultation the school should consider whether the policy needs amending.

Now I know I have never been approached to give my opinions on this with my childrens schools and can't say I have heard of anyone else being approached to do this either. A straight yes or no will do for now. If you have taken part in such a review (as a parent) I'd appreciate your thoughts on this via a pm.

Thanks all

Phas

No.

:devil: But I can feel another request under the Freedom of Information Act coming on.......... :lol:

"Please provide documentation and information as to the conclusions reached in the last annual report on the effectiveness of the school's work on behalf of children with SEN, as required under Section 1 Para 27 of the SEN CoP. The information I require includes what consultation was done with support services used by the school, other schools and parents, and what in the light of their evaluation and the response to consultation the school governing body considered should be done to improve the policy, and the date the policy was amended."

:lol:

Edited by sue1957

No phas...........but I sure wish they had, I would have had quite a lot to say :D .Just a thought, could this tie in with an annual review perhaps, the lea do talk to parents at this point, well sometimes.....well you talk sometimes they listen :blink:

I've never been asked

but

a friend of mine got this (their bold):

Dear Parent,

We want to know what you think of inclusion in xxxxx

We want xxxxx to be a place where all children and young people in our schools are happy, healthy, safe and successful We want to create an education system that takes responsibility for every child and young person and that places the needs of children and families at its heart.

We are working hard with our partners to achieve our vision and, while we know that there is more to do, we think that we have made progress in some important areas. However, we want to know what parents and carers think, particularly parents of some of our children and young people who don't always acheive as well as we would want.

I attatch a short paper that lists the things we think we are quite good at and those where we know we have more to do. We want to know what you think: where you think we are right and, if you don't, where you disagree with us. Your answers to the questions at the end of the paper will help us improve our services.

I hope you will take the time to tell us what you think. Your opinion is important.

(signed by the chief executive)

The paper (which unfortunately I've mislaid) listed all the wonderful things the LEA do and a couple that need work. There were then some questions (not many) with limited options to answer and no space to write any comment or invitation to add other concerns as far as I can remember - a very biased questionnaire in my opinion.

My friend's son is at the same school as Com and has SPLD but no statement and she has had an awful time getting the school to support him at all; she was thoroughly disgusted with the questionnaire which is why she passed a copy on to me. I, of course, filled it in too even though they hadn't bothered to invite me to :devil:

What really p****d me off was the fact that the contact person is my boss at PP and she didn't send it to me :wallbash: Actually what p****d me off most was knowing exactly why she didn't send it to me :P

Zemanski

We do review the SEN Policy annually. I have informal info from parents, but don't think the school would be brave enough to let me do a questionaire. Not sure how I'd get to meet outside professionals-it' shard enough for parents to get to see them.

Karen

There is an annual questionnaire for parents - this includes some questions on SEN but goes to all parents - not just those whose children have SEN - any dissenting voices therefore get lost in the general statistics.