Sign in to follow this  
~Jonathan~

Channel 4 @ 11.10am this morning

Hiya,

Sorry if this has already been posted but at 11.10am this morning on Channel 4 there's a programme about a 14 year old living with Asperger's Syndrome. If this post is pointless please pull it mods ;)

Changing Reuben.

Reuben Walsh is not your typical 14 year old. He has an IQ of 154 (10 points less than Einstein), is obsessive about neurology, has feelings for inanimate objects and is terrified of crowds. He also finds it hard to fit in and is often bullied.

All the best,

Jonathan.

Edited by ~Jonathan~

No worries. I have added a synopsis of the programme in my initial entry >:D<<'>

Hiya,

Sorry if this has already been posted but at 11.10am this morning on Channel 4 there's a programme about a 14 year old living with Asperger's Syndrome. If this post is pointless please pull it mods ;)

Changing Reuben.

Reuben Walsh is not your typical 14 year old. He has an IQ of 154 (10 points less than Einstein), is obsessive about neurology, has feelings for inanimate objects and is terrified of crowds. He also finds it hard to fit in and is often bullied.

All the best,

Jonathan.

thanks so much, have emailed some friends with this info also.:)

Well, my opinion of that programme, it was excellent :clap:

I could see alot of similarites to my son, but at the same time a big difference IYKWIM. :wacko:

I think for a half hour docu, it got alot of things in.

His mum and friends were really supportive of him and I thought that was great.

It was very enlightening listening to Rueben telling things from his own perspective.

Just a shame though that it wasn't shown at night where it would get more viewers,

if Jonathan hadn't posted I wouldn't have known it was on, thanks Jonathan :thumbs:

Brook

bit late to this post but I caught the last 10 mins.Reuben seemed a great lad ..........and he really reminds me of my boy.........especially when he was bouncy and excited at the football match........then minutes later quiet and could,nt understand what was going on.Does anyone know if this is repeated I so wish my boy could watch it.........I think it might have helped him a little.Thanks Johnathan

Thanks, Jonathan, I managed to catch most of it! :)

Very positive view of AS and it's always great to see programmes about it, but I wonder if this one reinforced the popular "geeky but normal" stereotype? There was a lot of emphasis on "fitting in", suggesting that all this young man has to do is change his appearance and take a bit more of an interest in football in order to be accepted by his peers, the onus of course being on him.

I'm nit picking though - there's no room in this kind of programme to explore the issues in great depth! I thought his friends were lovely - really sensitive and supportive.

K

Hi Jonathon,

Thanks for posting this - I'm in work and only quickly looked on here coffee break this morning and saw your post - so rung my mum and she watched it with my AS daughter. I just spoke to her now during my lunchtime and she said it was definitely worth watching and that there were so many similarities - she also said that Rueben had some lovely friends which I think can make all the difference.- Does anyone know if it will be shown again - maybe on S4C?

Thanks again,

Jb

Thanks Jonathan. I got to see this program. All in all I was quite pleased with it as it portrayed AS in a positive perspective rather that the problem child with frustrated parents that most TV documentaries about AS centre on. There was a emphasis on trying to fit in by taking an interest in the obsession that isn't an obsession. Was this a good move or not?

thanks jonathon very intresting i taped it for my husband so he can understand a bit more about our dd he finds it had to come to terms with the dx aspergers so seeing this will help all the best jill

I missed it too, because i was in the line at the chemist waiting for a presciption that was needed urgently, it took 30mins before i could leave so i missed it(really peed off), dh saw if and said it was wonderful. He got quite emotional telling me about the programme and said his friends were absolulte diamonds....

I hope its repeated!!!

Hello all, I spoke to channel 4 and they say it will be repeated in September but too early to give an exact date. it is part of the learning schedule of listings which is why it was on in day time.

By the time I seen this post earlier, I had already missed half the show. I can't watch show's that I've missed the beginning of so I'll watch it on S4C which is the Welsh equivalant of C4 and most docu's are repeated on that channel a few days later. :D

Thanks for the heads up Jonathan.

Sorry about the late posting, it was only by accident I discovered the programme was on at all so when I posted the topic I'd only known about it 10 minutes or so, the computer is slow so took a while to let me in. I'm sorry some missed it but glad others got to see it, if only parts of it. I too didn't like the tone in some ways that all he needed to do was dress a bit more trendy and do what other kids were doing and he'd be okay. Other than that though, it was really good and what he said about buying a book just so that it didn't feel lonely and that it had a home was very much like me, I see cuddly toys as real things and hate them to be sitting alone. I also talk to insects :blink: