Flora

Turned down for stat assessment

I wasn't going to post this because I'm a 'tad' gutted and trying not to go down that road to feeling frustrated and hopeless and was worried that typing it out would open the flood gates, but I'm up late and can't sleep so I'm posting it anyway.

Some of you may remember I applied for stat assessment for Luke, I got the letter yesterday turning him down.

When I applied for William last year, they turned him down on the basis that he has no specific learning difficulties and wasn't in the bottom 2%. As Luke falls in the bottom 1% for maths and is struggling low down in all the other subjects I had a faint hope that in his case they might say yes. The reason given for turning him down is that his needs are being met.

After nearly 4 weeks since the school told me Luke was going to start getting 1-1 teaching in maths he's had nothing at all. He starts year 5 in September and he is still working towards level 1 in maths.

I've got the parent/teacher meeting tomorrow so I'll be asking why nothing has been done.

Any thoughts, opinions, advice?

Thanks

Lauren

Edited by Lauren

Oh Lauren, :(:(

I've had similar letters and it's like being kicked in the guts. You need a bit of time to get your breath back and think what to do next.

What official reason did they give for the refusal? Presumably you're going to appeal?

You will come out fighting, but for now, just sending >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

K x

Hi Lauren,

I've just started coming on to this board more regularly so I hope you don't mind me sticking me oar in.

I'm sorry to hear your news thats really awful for you all. I've not tried for a statement or records of needs or whatever they are calling it now up here north of the borders(yet-things are ok at the moment) but I'd be thinking along the lines of an appeal in the fact that they are obviously NOT meeting his needs. They aren't even doing what they are saying they will let alone adding any other help to improve his overall education.

I have read somewhere that alot are turned down only to be appealed and won don't get too squished down by there officious rubbish you know when your right and the support your son is getting just isn't up to the job - hang in there - from what I've read over the last few weeks here there are alot of people who have been done this same path (do some LEA's just say NO as a standard reply??-it's starting to appear so :( )- you've a tonne of support waiting here for you - just go for it

good luck

((((hugs))))

Lorraine

Lauren >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> I thought LEA's couldn't use criteria such as must be in the lowest percentile for anything now, but must look at the individual child. My dd is also going in to yea5 in Sept. and working towards level 1 in maths. She is statemented and I'm sure a lot of it has to do with the fact that she has a fairly rare condition which they can't class as low incidence (i.e. more people have it) I'm sure sometimes they look at paperwork when it comes in and go Oh yeah Aspergers, dyslexia, dyspraxia, loads of kids have this the school can manage. Lauren I know from reading your posts that you are bone-weary from it all, like me, sometimes I just don't want to get up anymore. But if there is anyone that can fight this its you Lauren. Take it easy, recover from this latest piece of garbage from the LEA and go get 'em. :)

>:D<<'> Lauren >:D<<'>

I know how hard you've been fighting for both your boys and I feel :tearful: and :angry: for you.

It's amazing how schools can lie and LEA's keep moving the goalposts when it comes to SEN :wallbash: .

Hang in there.

Annie xx

>:D<<'>

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Have a shufty at the IPSEA site re LEAs operating blanket policies http://www.ipsea.org.uk/pr-dfes-nov05-ketter2leas.htm - not sure how this adapts from England though - but there is a link to a copy of a letter sent to all LEAs - may give you some ammo

For years IPSEA and many other organisations and individuals have been reporting their concerns to the DfES about widespread and deliberate failures by LEAs across the country to carry out their job properly in providing for children with Special Educational Needs. In particular:

• LEAs have been using unlawful blanket policies to deny many SEN children any assessment of their needs;
  • When assessments are made, Statements of Special Educational Needs (the passports to the help children need) are often unlawfully worded -- they lack the detail needed to make them enforceable by parents.
The SEN and Disability Division of the DfES have now stepped in to advise all Chief Education Officers and Directors of Children's Services that they:

• must not operate blanket policies of refusing to assess particular groups of children who have special educational needs, but must consider children's needs individually and on their merits;
  • must, in their Statements, specify the special educational provision necessary to meet the needs of the child concerned, detail appropriate provision to meet each need identified and normally quantify the provision.
Be kind to yourself today - I find red wine and chocolate raisins beat anything! :D

Lauren >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

I know it's difficult to keep fighting but sometimes we have no choice. I'm certain that you can show that Luke's needs are not being met, and that Luke is failing to make any real progress. Make sure you keep documenting all your concerns in writing so that you have the evidence and just go for it, apply to tribunal.

Just one word of warning, though it might stick in your throat, if the tribunal feels that the school haven't done all they could to help Luke you might lose, so just be careful how you word things.

Thanks everyone >:D<<'>

I wasn't at all surprised at the LEA's decision. My LEA have a new policy of not issuing statements and as of April/May they have given 80% of their SEN budget to the schools. The school however, tell me they don't have enough money to provide more than they are providing (which in real terms is nothing at all). So there's something decidedly fishy going on there!!

I've tried ringing our LEA officer but she hasn't been available :shame: . I'll ring her today once my hiccups have stopped :huh: I have a meeting with Luke's teacher this evening where I will be raising lots of questions. I am definately applying to SENDIST. The whole saga is rediculous and everyone I'm dealing with has an asnwer to everything; they seem to just make it up as they go along.

Lauren

Lauren, >:D<<'> Sorry that you've hit another brick wall :wallbash: I hope the appeal works and I hope that one day the government do something soon so that we can work together with professionals and use our enegy for the best of our children, rather than use it to battle for the help/support they need.

:( oh hun I,m sorry.I,d phone the lea officer too.........and explain why you feel he needs a statement...........how his needs now being in the bottom 1% etc mean he needs the input of outside agencies, such a school support services, how is his writing........would he benefit from typing........support on the playground........social skills..........visual timetables..........differentiated work..........his auditory processing probs...................visual probs etc.........I would also get his school to admit they need some help........and it would,nt surprise me if they had informed the lea that his needs were being met at school action +. Cos if they,d said his needs were,nt being met it would have made their sen budget look funny!!...........Lauren if you need a shoulder give us a ring love suzex >:D<<'>

Hun, just go straight to SENDIST!

If the LEA are that blind it is the only way and the only thing that will get through to them same as my LEA.

I seriously think all LEAs are trying this on now adays, you go for it, you know you are in the right here and they have made totally the WRONG decision so make them see it!!

We are STILL waiting :crying: to hear whether our Luke will get his long needed (leaving year 6 now) statement so we can actually then try to get him a secondary school!

Deadline for the LEA geniuses to let us know is NEXT TUESDAY :sick:

Just got back from the parent/teacher meeting. Of course the HT/SENCo won't leave me alone with his teacher after the last one when his teacher raised her deep concern about Luke not accessing the curriculum, she sat in on the whole thing and his teacher only got to say a few well rehearsed things.

After digging and delving for almost half an hour she told me that he was almost a level 2 in maths. I couldn't believe this and wondered how they'd cooked it up, I mean he can barely add numbers up to 20 and hasn't even started on subtraction, division and multiplication. After more digging and delving and resorting to straight interogation she finally admitted, that at the end of the second year of KS2 he is achieving level 1 at KS1 level. I asked to see his maths paper and she couldn't show me it because he didn't do one. She graded him on what she thinks his ability actually is, because he is incapable of working independently. At KS2 for maths and English he is ungraded. He is achieving level 2a for English KS1. He goes into year 5 in September and I can't see that he is ever going to catch up.

Her attitude to him being turned down for assessment; 'of course he has, he's fine, he doesn't need and assessment'.

He's a delightful little boy with no behavioural difficulties but with specific learning difficulties in English and maths and I guess at this stage I've got to accept that he isn't going to Oxford :rolleyes: but I think he deserves more than he's getting, and I know he's capable of so much more. With a verbal reasoning IQ of a 110 it's in sharp contrast to his non-verbal reasoning of 62 and I just know with the right kind of support and teaching he'd be ok. Excuse me while I just go and kill someone :ninja:

Thanks for all the replies and support guys

Lauren xx

ps... of course the LEA officer is permanently in hiding

Oh Lauren :(>:D<<'>

Take a little time to gather yourself, and then go back in there all guns blazing!

Stay strong, hun >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Bidxx

I can't believe that a school is prepared to allow a child achieve L1 at his age and not give 1:1 support!!! The levels are based on an average for that age group, he is significantly below that level, it is unfair not to support him! The Gov target is for children to achieve level 4 by the end of yr 6, that is the standard achievement, how are the school proposing to help your son realize that target?

Definately keep pushing school and LEA!

Anna x

hun I,m sickened........it,s really disgusting ............can you suggest an IEP with specific targets and if those are reached by the end of the first term of school then the school put in a request for assess????............this is bang bang bang out of order, >:D<<'> Suzex...............on that subject how has he done regarding reaching iep targets???..............these might show up that what the school provides isn,t enough.

[

Her attitude to him being turned down for assessment; 'of course he has, he's fine, he doesn't need and assessment'.

He's a delightful little boy with no behavioural difficulties but with specific learning difficulties in English and maths and I guess at this stage I've got to accept that he isn't going to Oxford :rolleyes: but I think he deserves more than he's getting, and I know he's capable of so much more. With a verbal reasoning IQ of a 110 it's in sharp contrast to his non-verbal reasoning of 62 and I just know with the right kind of support and teaching he'd be ok. Excuse me while I just go and kill someone :ninja:

Sorry to hear about them turning you down Lauren, i have recently thought about giving up the fight but i cant coz nobody else will fight in his corner. I am also going down the statement road and i am holding thumbs is goes ok.....

Are you appealing???

Lauren, :ninja::ninja::ninja:

We're right behind you. Get the big boys in - IPSEA, SENDIST etc. You know your child best and these fools at his school and the LEA need a kick up the backside.

Am I reading right, and the teacher is actually on your side, and it's the HT and Senco who are messing you about? That stinks. Why shouldn't she be able to say her bit - presumably she knows Luke better than the head.

As you know, we sent in our application for stat assess for DS1 yesterday, so I'm feeling particularly sensitive about the subject just now, and I really, really feel for you.

Take your time, gather yourself, and go blast 'em.

Lizzie

Does he have any IEPs for the last few years? He certainly ought ot have, and you should have copies of them as well. If he hasn't I'd be asking why on earth not. He is certainly along way behind his peer group from what your telling us.

Assuming that he does have IEP's how have the targets changed over time - if they have? They should have done and how they have changed and what the targets actually are wil tell me alot about where his support has been failing. They should also indicate if he is at SA or SA+ level as well.

Can you let us/me know.

We relocated from north to South at the end of 2003. I have his IEP's from his previous school where he had daily sessions of 1-1 with a SEN teacher and SALT and his progress is clearly documented from one IEP to the next.

He started his present school in January 2004 and they 'don't do' IEP's; his HT/SENCo says it's all in her head!! I formally requested a written IEP in June and they presented me with one dated back to January :huh: with these two targets:

To achieve age appropriate level in SATs

and

To concentrate and listen during maths lessons.

crazy I know.

Obviously he's failed the first target!! I can't comment on the second target; he has trouble listening with his auditiory processing problems so it's a difficult target for him.

That's all I've got for the past 2 years. The only formal assessments he's had since we moved are ones I have paid for myself, the school have done no assessments either themselves or by the EP.

Up until about 18 months ago his language delay was so significant, as were his literacy skills, that it was impossible for him to access the maths curriculum. His language skills have developed hugely in the past couple of years that other than continuing pragmatic difficulties he is very articulate and has reasonable receptive language now. He is now not accessing the maths curriculum because he is so far behind, but I am also of the opinion that he must have dyscalculia; not sure how to get him assessed for that though?

Lauren

Edited by Lauren

Lauren, have you managed to speak to the lea officer........I,m sure they,dbe interested to know that the school don,t do IEP, s!!....................When is the review for this IEP?..........you need it now :( .I wish I could send you a rocket to get these *&%........moving and helping Luke. Suzex

Hi Lauren,

I am just dipping in and out of the forum at the moment and I missed your post yesterday - sorry >:D<<'>

Just about everything has been said but I did wonder if you would be turned down because the school would have to prove that they have tried everything on School Action Plus for Luke and that it was not working, and clearly when there is not even an IEP they have tried ZERO.

Bring in the Big Boys you need em now >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Oracle

I agree Oracle...they are about to be caught out on this big time and they know it. It seems to be that far too many schools are trotting out the 'we don't do IEPs' line at the moment. Yeah, ok - 'so what do you do then?' would be my response.

Thanks everyone >:D<<'>

I'll be on to IPSEA on Monday (tried the a few times today but you know what it's like getting through).

Phasmid, those links are great and I've identified several things they are failing to do.

I've got a bit of ammunition now and will put together something over the weekend. The kids are with their dad tomorrow so I'll have time to concentrate on that.

Thanks for all the great advice and information.

Suze, I've tried ringing our LEA officer about 30 times in the past 3 days and every time she's been unavailable. She doesn't work Mondays and Fridays (just my luck to get a pt officer) so that will have to wait until Tuesday.

I've got Luke booked in for a dyscalculia assessment which the swindon dyslexia centre have just started doing.

Lauren >:D<<'>

Lauren, I'm really interested to hear how you get on with the dyscalculia assessment, cos I've got a feeling DS2 is similar. how did you get the assessment organised? Is it private or NHS/whatever?

By the way, I'm gobsmacked about the 'we don't do IEPs'. More fool them! When DS1 was in Y2 and I was still new to IEPs, I queried the IEP the teacher handed to me, saying, what strategies are you going to use to reach these targets? I got the answer: 'You have to realise that this is SATS year. there's so much of the National Curriculum to get through that we really haven't got any time to be able to fit IEP work in.' It was basically a worthless piece of paper. Aaaaaaaaaagh!

Keep at it, hope you get some advice from IPSEA soon.

Lizzie