loulou

Kai doing really well at full-time boarding

Hi everyone,

Kai is in his second week of boarding full-time at school. I have been soooo anxious about how he'll cope as he's only 8.

The reason the school and his clinical psychologist wanted him to board full-time was that he was having difficulty with his routines being so erratic with 2 nights of boarding, then being at home. He was having alot of meltdowns everytime he went from one environment to the other.

Last night i went to see him and took him bowling with my Dad. I was worried that he'd kick off and want to come home with me. How wrong was i? He was an absolute angel and had a great time bowling. When it was time to go back to school he just got in the car. I was gob-smacked :o !

I took him into his boarding house and he skipped off and asked the carer, "What shall I do now Miss?". She sent him off for a shower and he just skipped up the corridor and did it! My chin was on the floor :o:lol: !

Then he got into his PJs and sat around the table with the other boys drinking hot chocolate. They looked so sweet :wub: .

His carer said he's adapted so well and she's seen a huge change in him already. He's started talking lots and joining in with the other boys (this is a huge step).

It just goes to show how important routine is for Kai. It obviously makes him feel calmer.

I can't wait to get him back on Friday though!

Loulou xxxx

:clap::clap::clap: for kai and >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> for you. my son started boarding last september. I miss him terribly but I'm slowly getting used to it. Holidays can be a problem as they sometimes dont want to go back after a few weeks at home. Try and avoid his bedroom if you can as I find that really hard. Take Care

Hi Madme,

I need to go and tidy up his room today, but i every time i go in there i feel upset seeing his teddies on his bed :( . What am i like? His cat is missing him too because she's taken up residency in his room :wub: .

Loulou xx

Loulou if you can why not leave it until tomorrow and so then you'll be doing it as hes coming home- more positive that way. I tend to leave it to the end of the week if I can. BTW if you need a tuckbox I did try and post about this the other day but my computer was playing up- ebay do them for �10 they are seconds but fine and much cheaper than �70 which is the usual price. Not all schools require them.

Oh, wow that's brilliant!

Waydago Kai :thumbs::thumbs:

I need to go and tidy up his room today, but i every time i go in there i feel upset seeing his teddies on his bed . What am i like? His cat is missing him too because she's taken up residency in his room

I know exactly how you feel :( ben goes to respite carers one weekend a month, and though it does us both the world of good the house feels like an empty shell without him. These days I'm sure I miss him more than he misses me! :lol::lol:

Well done, Kai, and well done Loulou >:D<<'> - big adjustments all round but off to a cracking start.

L&P

BD :D

:dance:>:D<<'> Fantastic news lou-lou,

It must be a real relief to you knowing he's settled in so well. Looks like you made a great decision and he is making progress.

My Boys go away with their dad during the school holidays and the house seems so empty and way too tidy SShhh don't tell anyone i said that as i'm usually complaining about the mess!! :ph34r: I totally ignore their room and change the beds etc the day before they come home.

I hope things continue to go from strength to strength, they just seem to surprise us when we least expect it.

Well done Kai, what a star! :notworthy:

Wow, that is fantastic news that he's settling in so well and making friends.

I am so glad that you stuck with it now and you deserve a good pat on the back for sticking to it, it really sounds like it's going to turn things around. He will have odd moments but I think the good will far out- weigh any tricky moments.

Well done to Kai and well done to mummy, now go put your feet up and have a nice rest.

So happy that things are working out well >:D<<'>

Oh that's fantastic. That must have been a huge relief to you. To see an improvement in his behaviour is really heartwarming. You must be so proud!

Caroline.

Oh Loulou, this is so fantastic, you must be unbelieveably relieved!! So pleased for you all, hope it continues to go really well. :P>:D<<'>

~ Mel ~

loulou im so pleased for you and kai >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

bet you cant wait till tomorrow to give him a cuddle :wub:

what a little star he is

Well friday is here, so not long now,

so pleased for you that its going really well,

routine is very important for children with Specail needs,

as its predictable and safe,

the house sounds a really safe place to be hot chocolate after a nice long shower mmm sounds nice,

the fact all the boys are round the table drinking there hot chocalate is a great sign that they are content and happy, a room full of boys in my house is different story, hectic is one word that springs to mind.

I think that this really is helping your son and its made me reconsider Js routine when he goes to residential, as I was thinking of a short break in the middle as well, but from your post I can see what the benefits are for the child if they stay for the mon-fri, so you have made me rethink as well.

Hope the weekend is really positive as now you both can have quality time together.

JsMum

Hi JsMum,

It's such a difficult decsion to make isn't it? I think alot of the anxiety was on my part and the feeling of guilt for "sending away" my "baby".

I felt so much happier after seeing all the boys looking so settled and Kai going back into his boarding house after being out with me. I'm sure if he were unhappy he wouldn't have wanted to get out of the car.

It has really hit home to me how important routine is for Kai and how it affects his behaviour.

Hope it all works out for you with J >:D<<'> ,

Kai will be home in a hour, i can't wait to squeeze him (if he'll let me!) :wub:

Loulou xx