bid

Southern Meet...

Nope, a big lump of Battenburg just isn't good enough, after the day you've had at least half should be eaten :shame:

I can appreciate how you feel about the meet up >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Take care x

I'm really nervous, so can appreciate how difficult it can be to go to these things >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

dont be nervous baggy,we will have a fab time,i cant wait >:D<<'>

10:30 at the Burnt Out Wreck:

Mumble Mopp

Bard

DMB

12 noon at the Burnt Out Wreck to walk to the park:

Bid

Baggy

I could do with knowing how many others and who else I will be meeting at 10:30 :unsure: I'm starting to get a bit (ok, quite a lot) worried about this now - do we still have 31 people coming, or has this list reduced or increased?

Do we have any idea what we're going to do if the rain persists (it said in this evening's paper that 15th July will be the only dry day this summer)???? I'm happy out in the rain, but I'm sure others won't be.

The National Maritime Museum is free, and open from 10am, don't know if they have a cafe.

B keeps telling me that there is a new/improved Planetarium that his science teacher has been recommending?

Or we can have a picnic in the foot tunnel, should make for interesting sound effects!

Greenwich Park looks capacious enough for an infinite number of people to flap, spin or dance in the rain, so I don't think we'll feel overcrowded. If anyone does, then they can go for a short/long walk and rejoin us when they want to.

And if you're suffering from a lack of hot food Mumble, we could always have a venison barbie and dress as assorted Merrie Men. I'm sure the Queen wouldn't miss a beast or two.

The National Maritime Museum is free, and open from 10am, don't know if they have a cafe.

They do - a few I think actually, but I don't think they could accommodate 30+ or that everyone would be happy there.

B keeps telling me that there is a new/improved Planetarium that his science teacher has been recommending?

B's absolutely right - I definately want to go there - if we don't go on that Saturday, I'm going at some other time. My only concern is that because this has been an advertised improvement, what used to be a lovely quiet almost empty meusuem to wander round and take my time in will now be filled with screaming brats and their 'being educational' parents (that is not an insult to anyone on here . . . :unsure: )

Or we can have a picnic in the foot tunnel, should make for interesting sound effects!

Ooooh, what an interesting idea . . . I don't think others would be up for that though.

And if you're suffering from a lack of hot food Mumble, we could always have a venison barbie and dress as assorted Merrie Men. I'm sure the Queen wouldn't miss a beast or two.

Why not throw a swan in too and make it a real feast . . . :eat::lol:

Well, it means that you, me and DMB can have fun from 10.30am, then everyone else can chip in.

30 people is only a classful, it'll be OK. Like we all said before, we can split up to go to places of specific, individual tastes, and meet up for food, beer, or to wander around the market.

It won't be the Summer holidays yet, so perhaps the hordes of children and parents won't be roaming just yet.

Oh, unless you mean us?

:groupwave:

Edited by Bard

No, I didn't mean you.

30 may be a classful, but I'm guessing most who are coming are bigger than the 7 years olds I'm used to in a classful.

No, I didn't mean you.

30 may be a classful, but I'm guessing most who are coming are bigger than the 7 years olds I'm used to in a classful.

I'm not much bigger, and a lot less noisy!

All,

I would immediately discount having a picnic in the Foot Tunnel. It is a filthy, but busy, pedestrian/bicycle thoroughfare. Would be akin to having a picnic in the middle of the road.

Greenwich Park is probably the ideal location because of the sapce.

Click here for a map of the park. Most people coming by public transport would enter the park via St Mary's Gate off King William Walk. The park has a few cafes, lakes, tennis courts, and right in the middle is the new planetarium attached to the back of the Observatory.

Dont know how well you all know Greenwich but it is a favourite tourist location so you wont be the only people who probably get lost. :-)

There is a great market, although it can get very crowded. In the market there are stalls that sell excellent Sushi and Sashimi and lots of nice cakes and slices amongst other things. You can also get a brilliant massage there as well.

If it rains, there are places to go in Greenwich, however I would recommend you either hop on a bus to North Greenwich or catch the DLR back to Canary Wharf and then the Jubilee line out to North Greenwich (about 10 mins in total) and go and visit the O2 Arena. As of the 12th July they are opening a large indoor beach with lots of space and free entertainment for the kids. There are cafes restaurants etc and it is all under cover. For more info, click here. If anyone gets bored, there is a Vue movie theatre as well.

Hope this helps

KC

So that's:

Mumble Mopp (with a badge)

Bard (with a badge)

DMB

Lya (with purple hair)

Tally (provided she gets back on the DLR after getting off at Mudchute!)

Bid

Baggy

Other people????? :unsure::unsure:

Bard - was that to me? I like museums lots, and I've always just wondered what swan tastes like . . . :wacko:

Thanks KMC, that's useful.

I think (??? :unsure::unsure: ) Bard was joking about the picnic in the tunnel!! We are going to be best off sticking with the original plan of the park (I was just a bit worried given the horrid weather recently) but I'm sure we can come up with something if necessary.

The markets will probably be too crowded for me (I'd need a lot of chocolate beer to cope - and I don't like beer), but I think quite a few others will want to go there for sparklies and such like.

The other places sound good, but I think it will be too much for some people having got to Greenwich to decamp to other places. I didn't know they had a beach in the O2 - I might go and visit sometime, but I suspect it will be very busy.

Are you joining us in Greenwich KMC? Your local knowledge could come in handy and I wouldn't feel as I'm supposed to know because I live closest!! :lol:

I doubt you live closest. I can actually see Greenwich from here. It's about 200 metres away. The Cutty Sark WAS about 400 metres away (if that). I can see the observatory and bits of the park as well. I am directly across the river from it all... hence my knowledge of the foot tunnel.

I may or may not turn up - It depends on whether or not I have to work that day. At present I dont know.

O2 Beach during the day shouldnt be too crowded. It only opens on the 12th July so you can never tell. The O2 itself has been getting most crowded around 5pm-6pm when people going to the concerts in the arena go looking for food first.

I doubt you live closest. I can actually see Greenwich from here. It's about 200 metres away. The Cutty Sark WAS about 400 metres away (if that). I can see the observatory and bits of the park as well. I am directly across the river from it all... hence my knowledge of the foot tunnel.

I meant apart from you - sorry, I don't always explain myself clearly - I knew what I meant!! :lol::wacko:

kmc i didnt know they were opening an indoor beach,thats good to know :thumbs: hope you can make it,if you do,im following you around all day :D

Oh, all right, I was joking about a picnic in the tunnel, although there was a champagne banquet held there in 1902 to celebrate its opening.

And swan is off the menu.

kmc i didnt know they were opening an indoor beach,thats good to know :thumbs: hope you can make it,if you do,im following you around all day :D

Is that a threat or a promise? At least it'll keep you from trying to hold hands with anyone!

I went to the city beach in Paris last summer, it was great fun.

Oh, all right, I was joking about a picnic in the tunnel, although there was a champagne banquet held there in 1902 to celebrate its opening.

:lol: :lol: We could say we were doing the 105 year re-enactment (a month early)!

And swan is off the menu.

You spotted I wasn't a royal then? I knew I should have taken up wearing sparkly tiaras :lol:

It's all right - I have lots of plans for yummy food :eat::eat1:

The O2 is actually pretty amazing. Has a 24,000 seat arena for large concerts. a 2500 person venue for smaller concerts, a movie theatre with 11 screens - one of which is the largest in Europe seating around 750 people, lots of restaurants and cafes and a couple of pubs. The beach opens on the 12th July. There will be a nightclub and an exhibition area. It's open from 10am daily. There are free concerts during the day on some days.

Coming up in the Arena is:

Justin Timberlake

Scissor Sisters

Barbra Streisand

Keane

Prince

Spice Girls

Disney on Ice

In the smaller Venue:

Jools Holland (tonight)

Natalie Cole

and a pile of others

Some of the restaurants arent open yet and will open during July. The nightclub opens in November. The first major exhibition is King Tut.

It is actually a HUGE place and well worth visiting.

You spotted I wasn't a royal then? I knew I should have taken up wearing sparkly tiaras :lol:

It's all right - I have lots of plans for yummy food :eat::eat1:

I thought you were an Emperor judging by your avatar. Doesn't that make you near enough to Royalty. ;)

(I am right thinking Mumble is an emperor penguin? Of course by that I mean that character from the film. Not you Mumble. I don't think I meeting a living breathing penguin who can't sing in the middle of Greenwich. Though that make 2 of us if the can't sing part is accurate. :rolleyes: )

Nothing better than a visual...

Here's one reason why you wouldnt want to eat in the foot tunnel:

Check this out

Just remember that the drunks walk through here on Friday and Saturday nights and there are no bathrooms inside the tunnel. I'll leave the smell to your imagination

Edited by KMC

I thought you were an Emperor judging by your avatar. Doesn't that make you near enough to Royalty. ;)

(I am right thinking Mumble is an emperor penguin? Of course by that I mean that character from the film. Not you Mumble. I don't think I meeting a living breathing penguin who can't sing in the middle of Greenwich. Though that make 2 of us if the can't sing part is accurate. :rolleyes: )

Mumble is an emperor penguin, although a baby one as he keeps his down throughout (which doesn't happen with actual penguins).

In fact, most of what you have said is right, apart from the penguin bit - I am living, I am breathing and I can't sing (being made to play the triangle in a class assembly when you're 7 because you're so bad at singing, when everyone else sings, kinda stays with you :tearful: ) - plus I'm a bit of a flappy social misfit as Mumble is (and I mumble).

I was joking about a picnic in the tunnel, although there was a champagne banquet held there in 1902 to celebrate its opening.

Yes, but I expect nobody had peed in it yet!

It will be nice if you can make it, KMC.

I'm tone-deaf Mumble, my singing is terrible too.

Yes, but I expect nobody had peed in it yet!

It will be nice if you can make it, KMC.

I'm tone-deaf Mumble, my singing is terrible too.

Sounds like we could form a cats chorus at this rate. That really would send the locals running. :rolleyes::whistle:

Lets put it this way. My singing could possibly be the ultimate punishment. It is debatable if it would get classed as torture though. :whistle: I've accidently hummed and sang to myself on a couple of occasions at school recently. The kids are always very quick to ask me to stop.

My youngest dd screams "shut up, shut up, the noise hurts my ears" and puts her hands over her ears when I sing......

I blame sensory sensitivities of course :whistle:

Edited by Bagpuss

Excellent!!! If we happen to find that every acre of Greenwich park is too crowded for any of us on the 14th, Tally, DMB, Baggy and Myself will start a cat chorus rendition of the Hokey-Cokey and have everyone running for cover (or at least as far as Greenwich Market to buy ear-muffs). Once they've gone we can all settle for a quiet civilized picnic :lol::devil:

Oh, have to share this with you.....

youngest dd laid on bed, nattering to dh, while I have a bath......dh is talking to her about next weekend, and about us going away for the weekend, to a caravan, and what we will do when we are there.....

"and on Saturday" he says.... but before he could finish dd replies

"we are going to London to meet Hev" :lol::lol::clap:

I can't remember telling her that, but must of done :hypno:

BTW, youngest dd has some rather fetching pink fluffy ear muffs if anyone needs them :thumbs:

Oh, have to share this with you.....

youngest dd laid on bed, nattering to dh, while I have a bath......dh is talking to her about next weekend, and about us going away for the weekend, to a caravan, and what we will do when we are there.....

"and on Saturday" he says.... but before he could finish dd replies

"we are going to London to meet Hev" :lol::lol::clap:

ha ha i hope i dont disapoint :D cant wait to meet little jess >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Mumble Mopp (with a badge)

Bard (with a badge)

DMB

Lya (with purple hair)

Bid

Baggy

Ooh, I'm staring to panic about this now. Maybe my tutor was right that this would be too big for me to cope with as a first meet (damn me and my thinking I know best) and I should have just found a one to one thing. I'm really worried about this now. Who else is coming for 10:30 (and how many 'extras' are you bringing?). It would really help me to know as it would make what's going to be a very unpredictable day, just a little more bearable. Thanks.

Very worried Mumble :tearful:

I've just had a moment of panic too... it IS the 14th isn't it???

Baggy/hevs messages have got me all muggled. DEFINITELY 14th, yes???

:unsure:

I've just had a moment of panic too... it IS the 14th isn't it???

Aaarrggh, no, don't do this to me.

Well I'm going to be in Greenwich Park on Saturday the 14th July at a little after 10:30am. If anyone wants to come and join me, you're more than welcome, but you might find me retreating to behind the trees . . .

now there you go again bighead blaming me for your confusion,its old age love,how could i possibly confuse you?infuriate you yes but not confuse :lol:

Aaarrggh, no, don't do this to me.

Well I'm going to be in Greenwich Park on Saturday the 14th July at a little after 10:30am. If anyone wants to come and join me, you're more than welcome, but you might find me retreating to behind the trees . . .

mumble,i will be there at 12 cos 10.30 is too early for me,i know its easy to say but please dont worry,baddad should worry,im in the mood for a fight :devil::star::ninja::ninja::ninja:

Ok, so:

10:30am on Saturday 14th July 2007 at the Burnt Out Wreck:Mumble Mopp (with a badge)

Bard (with a badge)

DMB

Lya (with purple hair)

12 noon on Saturday 14th July at the Burnt Out Wreck to walk to the park:

Bid

Baggy

Hev (with hidden weapons)

Edited by Mumble

Sorry if I've caused confusion :unsure: I thought it was the 14th too :unsure:

Mumble, I'll definately be there at the later time, with DH and 3 kiddies........anyone know how far Greenwich is from the London Eye? DH and kiddies want to go on it at some point before we travel back to Sheppy :sick:

We'll be sorting out our car parking this weekend, and prebook it...although unsure which is the nearest secure car park, anyone know? Will have to sort the Congestion Charge too, think we can prepay that?

Edited by Bagpuss