Eva

I asked a woman if she was pregnant

How do I repair this situation? Help.

My excuse is that I have been having a really really stressful time dealing with my son's school and I'm tired and...well, whatever else.

When I dropped my 4 year old off at kinder I looked over at this mother of twin boys and thought 'hmm, she must be having another' and the thought goes out of my head...until I pick up my son and start chatting to her, (for the first - and last time - this year), and the words just flowed out, no stopping them.

I tried to my best to cover up, well I said something like, I think it's going to rain, (and the clouds were pretty dark), but I don't think that cut it.

What should I do? Should I apologise next time I see her, or just leave it? (Her kids are in the same kinder group with my son next year too).

Any advice welcome :tearful: ,

Eva

:unsure: Oh dear...that's a tough one, I try never to ask and dread someone asking me (pot belly :rolleyes: )

Ummmm, you could lie and say "I'm so sorry about the pregnancy question, I was sure I'd heard you were pregnant, must be someone else" :whistle:

Other than that...hide from her for a few years :lol:

A x

Hi

We've all been there at some point and perhaps said things we wished we hadn't. Guess, you could take the bull by the horns and say nothing other than 'really sorry, I may have inadvertently caused offence' (she probably wasn't angry/maybe just a little embarassed). Stop at that and don't give any explanation/reason. You may be surprised - she may laugh it off after the initial embarassment. Alternatively, you could say nothing - there's a danger that you may end up giving each other a wide berth which may be a real shame.

Caroline

OOPS!!!! :o:lol:

I think the old saying 'least said soonest mended' was coined for situations such as this!

flora X

Hi whoops! I sometimes come out with stuff like that and think where did that come from, afterwards lol! I was at a sure start thing the other week and the HV came in with someone, I went over and for some stupid reason I said Is that your daughter? erm no it wasn't, she was a student :oops: I tryed to work my way out of by saying she looked young (this was in front of the student too) and no my HV wasn't that old and I also said I hadn't really looked at her probably. OH dear was having a bad week lol

oh dear!! I once done this to my art teacher many years ago neadless to say I never was teachers pet with her!! I think silence is prob golden in this situation!!

someone asked me on a crowded bus once when is my baby due,steve was 2 months old by then!!i laughed it off,i wouldnt mention it to be honest,she prob didnt take a lot of notice,i do know how you feel though cos i said it to someone once and wanted the ground to swallow me up :unsure:

My friend did the same thing, she went up to someone she new at school and said eee when are you due!!! She wasnt expecting!! :whistle: So she then said i think the clothes your wearing make you look bigger :hypno: I dont think the woman was offended though!! i think if it was me i wouldnt say anything else unless she brings it up >:D<<'>

Oh dear!! :oops::lol:

If I were you, I'd bluff it out and next time you see her just give her a beaming smile and a friendly 'hello, how are you today' and take it from there.

~ Mel ~

A woman in a shop said it to me once. (In my defence, I was wearing a duvet coat at the time, & hadnt lost my baby weight). As I knew I'd never see her again, I pretended I was! :lol:

When I got married, I had a 21" waist and weighed 7 stone 2lb.

Now I weigh more than I did the day BEFORE I had B :tearful::eat:

But in my head....

Sometimes I glimpse myself in a mirror and think 'Who's that? :o '

I always used to be slim, and someone at work asked me if I was pregnant again - I just said no - I've given up smoking and put on a few pounds! What amused me was the fact that this woman was much bigger than me and she replied " well if that's what happens if you give up smoking then I'm definitely not giving up!! So we had a laugh about it! I've often seen women who I've thought were pregnant - but never say anything just in case.

I'd just not say anything more - it's a common mistake to make -especially if a woman has had more than one child - I think I still look pregnant and my youngest is 3!

Shall I annoy you all :devil:

When I'd had my fourth baby, a mum at school was surprised because she hadn't realised I was pregnant as most of it was during the cold weather so I wore a coat :clap:

I'm running off to hide now :ph34r::ph34r:

(Mind you, she was an isolated case, so maybe she was just very myopic! ;) )

Boho :devil:

Oooh, just remembered: someone I knew was at a party and another woman asked her when she was due. She didn't know whether to be offended at the weight implication, or the fact that anyone would think that she would be drinking and smoking like a fiend if she was preggers!! :lol:

Edited by bid

What should I do? Should I apologise next time I see her, or just leave it? (Her kids are in the same kinder group with my son next year too).

Well, as some of us have demonstrated, we do know that our silhouettes may confuse people into thinking that a happy event is on its way.

I'd carefully never mention it again, and be pleasant and friendly when you meet her. It's actually a very English skill to have, moving on by pretending that events never occured. If your children are together in the future, there will probably be a time when one of you needs the other, and that will mend your fences very nicely.

In my opinion, Bid, sparklies look better on the full-figured. More shimmy, more sparkles!

Whoever heard of a skinny belly dancer?

Edited by Bard

In my opinion, Bid, sparklies look better on the full-figured. More shimmy, more sparkles!

Whoever heard of a skinny belly dancer?

I think if I did belly dancing I'd make people seasick! :lol:

We have a woman at the school we call her the old woman that lived in a shoe :whistle: she has 9 kids and we think she is preggy again we cant tell. She always wears maternity dresses and is rather large , doesnt seem to put baby weight on and then pops em out :lol: next thing we know shes at the school with a baby :o

How do I repair this situation? Help.

My excuse is that I have been having a really really stressful time dealing with my son's school and I'm tired and...well, whatever else.

When I dropped my 4 year old off at kinder I looked over at this mother of twin boys and thought 'hmm, she must be having another' and the thought goes out of my head...until I pick up my son and start chatting to her, (for the first - and last time - this year), and the words just flowed out, no stopping them.

I tried to my best to cover up, well I said something like, I think it's going to rain, (and the clouds were pretty dark), but I don't think that cut it.

Any advice welcome :tearful: ,

Eva

Try not to worry Eva, this has happened to me. I was on the other end though....... :lol::lol: Hey ho, my youngest is 7 and I'm still trying to shift the "baby" weight :lol::lol:

:oops:I'm guessing honesty isn't the best policy this time - ignore it, pretend it didn't happen, and hope it goes away!

I used to be a perfect hourglass shape (built like jessica-flippin'-rabbit, me!) - now i'm just 'glass' - Tumbler! :tearful::crying:

I can't even blame M - i put the 'baby' weight on four years after he was born........ :whistle::rolleyes:

:lol:

Edited by smiley

Hi everyone,

thanks for your very kind replies - I'm glad I'm not alone! (When I told dh he said, "you said what?!" and just shook his head and laughed at me).

I think I'll go for the British approach and pretend it never happened - don't mention the war and all of that.

The woman is actually slim (except for her stomach :whistle: ). Anyway, I can't talk. Sometimes I wonder if I'm still pregnant.

Cheers,

Eva

Hi I just wondered if the woman was wearing one of those tops that are in fashion at the mo.Last time I looked every blouse in the shop looked like a maternity top.They are enough to make any woman look pregnant. :rolleyes::rolleyes: Karen.

:unsure: I just brought one of those "maternity" type tops today! I didn't even think before I brought it!- people will start thinking I'm pregnant again!!! Looks like it's time to :bounce: