ScienceGeek

Wedding Planning

Keep it small and simple SG, less stress, more enjoyable, less cost.

We had the works, and you are basically paying for everyone else to have a good time.

We spent so much on our wedding, we couldn't afford a honeymoon, something I still regret to this day.....should of just gone to somewhere exotic, and got married on the beach, just the two of us :wub:

The smallest wedding I've ever been to was the five of us including the couple being married, and it was beautiful.

Went punting afterwards, so we really could have managed 6!

Invite those you want to be there, numbers are irrelevant in this case.

Oh yes I agree with BP, you only need family and very close friends, to be honest when it comes down to it, its really just about the two of you :wub: . Try to keep it as stress free as possible and enjoy :thumbs:

Clare x x x

i reckon the less people the better,so much less stress.

i invited loads to my wedding,cost thousands,didnt do me any good,he ran off with my best friend a year later :o:D

keep it small i say,more intimate

we could have a virtual reception,pearl could be the official planner cos shes good at hosting forum parties :thumbs:

i reckon the less people the better,so much less stress.

i invited loads to my wedding,cost thousands,didnt do me any good,he ran off with my best friend a year later :o:D

keep it small i say,more intimate

I don't need to watch soap operas whilst I've got you mate!

What are you like! :hypno:

Good riddance, Nick sounds like a keeper to me.

You could always invite all us lot along SG ..... :whistle:

Better make it bring a bottle then!

I don't need to watch soap operas whilst I've got you mate!

What are you like! :hypno:

Good riddance, Nick sounds like a keeper to me.

i sold my story to take a break magazine bard and me and steven went on holiday with the money :lol:

We had 5 guests at our wedding :wub: It was lovely. Then we went to my house for the reception where we had about 9 guests. We had ham sandwiches and cream cakes :lol:

BTW Hev does your avatar ever stop for a cuppa or a wee?

I'm with Baggy, we had a 'big' traditional wedding with loads of people I hardly knew and didn't see again from one decade to the next, they scoffed loads of food we'd paid for and I hardly spoke to any of them. I felt self-conscious and a bit embarrassed and I've always regretted that we didn't just pop down the registry office with a couple of people we REALLY cared about and zipped off together somewhere exotic rather than the Isle of Wight, which is all we could afford aftwards. We didn't even enjoy the honeymoon really, 'cos we were so knackered and zoned out after all the planning of the wedding that it didn't feel special at all.

Whatever you do, make sure you do it for YOURSELF and that YOU enjoy it. :thumbs:

~ Mel ~

Edited by oxgirl

Ooooh, our first Forum Wedding!! :bounce: :bounce:

Small is sophisticated! If there are just a few of you, you could all go to a fabby restaurant afterwards. It will also probably be less stressful if it's small and intimate with just the people you love best there :D

Boho :dance:

Edited by bid

We got married in the week before Christmas. Just had immediate family and a couple of close friends and then went for a Christmas meal in a pub afterwards. It was great cos the people who were there were the ones that really meant something to us, and we're still married nearly 12 years on!

I had 25 guests (including ourselves) at my wedding and we all went for lunch afterwards. Then we had a big party in the evening with around 100 guests. The Ex has an enormous family, and around 3/4 of the guests were his. Other than family and friends of my parents, my own friends totalled 4. One was a friend from school and she was my bridesmaid, and the other 3 were work colleagues. I invited 2 other friends who couldn't come (real excuses, mind). To be honest though, even though The Ex is extremely gregarious, there were only a small group of friends he felt were close enough to invite to the wedding, 2 were friends from college and he invited his 7 work colleagues and their wives, although they didn't all come in the end.

We got married at christmas time (i love that time of year!) in the lake district and mainly invited family and a few friends - i didnt have many friends either SG and i didnt want a huge do just the people that meant the most to us! Everyone had a nice time and my brother and sister say when they get married they want it to be just like my day :)

Just do it how you want and it will be perfect >:D<<'>

I agree. Small is good. We had a champagne reception - we bought our own- and as we had about 25 people there it was more affordable and everyone had a bottle to themselves! Thoroughly enjoyed the day as did it semed most of our guests! Only drawback was the photographer who in the reception decided to take pictures of the ladies legs!

Quite a few cousins had enormous weddings that cost far too much- one divorced within a year! And to be honest the food was awful and you only got one or two glasses of wine! We decided to get married in the December and did it in the March. It was rushed but all the more fun.

Edited by madme

My hubby and I initially wanted a small wedding, but mainly because of my family being huge, it escalated into a big affair. We had 180 guests (actually only about 10 of those from my hubbies side because he's american and most couldn't make it over) and although I knew everyone and had a fantastic time, it really didn't feel like "our" special day. My parents paid for everything though so I kind of felt we had to let them invite who they wanted iyswim.

So I agree with the others - small and intimate sounds amazing!

Lynne x

Edited by Lynden

We did our wedding on the cheap, motorbike broke down on the bypass, late and crashed into a car at the traffic lights and we drove off and he followed us to the wedding.

After the wedding we had a reception at a public buffet but they let us have a private room because it was our wedding.

Anyway small is beautiful and you will have a good time.

Sciencegeek,

Do what you and your fiancee feel comfortable with and don't worry what others think - it's your day.

We had a small wedding as my dh and I had friends and relatives spread across two different countries and several towns, so wherever we chose to have it, there would only be a few people who could have made the journey. Also we didn't have large families. In the end we had about 20 guests - all of whom had made a special effort to be there, and that meant a lot to us. It was quite an informal affair - on the morning itself I remember ringing two people to ask if they would do a reading at the service!

We had a sit down lunch in a hotel - and the atmosphere was just right, we got to sit and talk to everybody.

I agree with the others, small can be good, and less expensive too!

K x

The smallest wedding I've ever been to was the five of us including the couple being married, and it was beautiful.

Went punting afterwards, so we really could have managed 6!

Invite those you want to be there, numbers are irrelevant in this case.

Is that one of them there yoofamisums?

Hev - appearing soon on a Jeremy Kyle show near you :rolleyes::lol::lol:

SG - The number of guests isn't that important, just so long as there are two at the front, someone to conduct the service and the requisite number of witnesses. Anything else is just icing on the cake (or less icing and cake for you, depending on how you look at it!)

:D

ooh bighead you know i love jeremy :wub::wub:

you know what the title of the programme could be?i found love on the internet :devil::wub: then you and nick could come on and start fighting over me, :ninja::ninja: then the security man could seperate you :clap:

thn the follow up show could be a lie detector test and your true feelings would come out about how you really feel about me :lol:

We picked the rings we want :thumbs: Now just need to pay for them when my student loan comes through. Tomorrow we have an appointment at Debenhams to go zap things to put on the wedding list. Got an appointment in a couple of weeks time to be fitted for my suit. So exciting!

ooh bighead you know i love jeremy :wub::wub:

you know what the title of the programme could be?i found love on the internet :devil::wub: then you and nick could come on and start fighting over me, :ninja::ninja: then the security man could seperate you :clap:

thn the follow up show could be a lie detector test and your true feelings would come out about how you really feel about me :lol:

:lol::lol:

I'd missed that until now! :lol:

Lie detector - I learnt how to 'fool' them during my years with MI5 (you just need some talcum powder for your hands and then you squeeze your butt cheeks together... little tip for the rest of you there... some of you might need a JCB to accomplish the latter :whistle: , but you could bounce a coin on mine - ahem! ;))... :devil:

Happy shopping & zapping SG :thumbs: ...

We just booked where we are going to have the evening and afternoon thingys! Now we just need to go over there to talk to the guy about what we want to do. Fiancee said to them about needing something that doesn't involve very loud music and flashy lights. Our flat will be open to those prone to sensory overload if they need somewhere to calm down (we live just around the corner from the venue). :thumbs:

Our flat will be open to those prone to sensory overload if they need somewhere to calm down

You are not allowed to spend your wedding reception in your flat, you know :lol:

Do you really want all your wedding guests going for a nose in your flat and clingfilming your toilet? Can't people just go outside?

You are not allowed to spend your wedding reception in your flat, you know :lol:

Do you really want all your wedding guests going for a nose in your flat and clingfilming your toilet? Can't people just go outside?

It's ok as far as we know there are only a few that have sensory issues and all can be trusted not to snoop. In fact they probably wouldn't be interested in our boring flat. :lol: There is the option of going outside I suppose, but the flat is just another option that probably won't be used anyway :rolleyes: