JsMum

Grand Theft Auto Video Games.

Has any ones children here play or have played this game? J is totally obsessed about this game, he managed to get a copy from a boy and has played it when he goes to friends houses, he said to me that all his mates have it, is anyone else going throw the stress of this game, and is it as bad as everyone is saying, could it cause Js aggression to increase and what is the dangers of playing violent video games for children with ADHD and HFA.

JsMum

I just looked on Amazon, and the age rating appears to be an 18 so I would definitely be guided by that if it were my DS.

Bid :)

Edited by bid

Hi J's mum -

Just had a quick blimp at amazon, and all of these titles have an 18 certificate, which pretty much says it all...

Censorship these days is taken very seriously - we have loads of new ratings for (i.e.) movies, stickers on music with adult content/lyrices etc... These kind of labels don't get applied lightly, whatever anyone says...

according to this article:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2470637/Co...t-children.html

Under the current rules, only games with include "human sexual activity" or "gross violence" must be rated from the British Board of Film Classification (BBFC). Only one in 50 games on sale carries an 18-years-and over certificate
. The article highlights the title you mention as one of the games that exemplifies the need for such classifications.

:D

My lad is 9 he is addicted to the gta games but he dont like the fighting bit he is just addicted to the fast cars in them. He is no worse now since playing it than he was before-he has always been hypo bigtime but not been violent physically ever just always attitude with him.

Ive played this game and yes it is violent and if you play the "storyline" it does centre around violence and organised crime. For this reason they are 18 rated. Personally i prefer driving the cars and flying the planes/helicopters. You can get an apache helicopter and a harrier jump jet and go zooming round!!!

If its the cars that fascinate him, it will also be the "world" that the game plays in. Most car games are set on a track or in a city with the side streets blocked, so no ability to go other places. part of the appeal of the GTA games is the huge world that you can explore as you please.

In terms of violence I guess how it effects people is down to individuals. Obviously its an 18 game, so not suitable. if over 18 i would say that in some people violence in a game occassionally has no ill effect and can be a release. The problem with children playing such games expecially those with ASD's or other learning disabilities would focus on thier ability to seperate the game from reality. Many of these games are theoretically highly realistic except you get shot and get up again or you can get away with crimes you cant in real life and this could be dangerous.

To be honest some of the actions in the GTA games i certainly would NOT want a child doing. You can for example in the game, pick up a prostitute!!! The games "advice" websites then say you can kill said prostitute to get your money back!!!!!!! hardly examples you want a child to see or try for themselves even if its just a game!!!

I have looked on the BBFC and by the looks of it the 18 rating is really for the retailer, it is an offence for the retailer to sell the game to a child under 18

but it is not an offence for any adult to purchase this and then let children play it, many children are accessing GTAs from older siblings or getting friends to buy it and then play it behind parents backs,

this is what J did, he was playing it without me been aware, I have sinced researched violent video games and the sites are so swaying and offecting my decision, many children playing GTAs are good kids, from good upbringing, they are not violent and GTAs certainly gain the interest of children like mine, the graphics and game is so sereal, J adores the game, Ive discussed this game with other parents and many are happy that they have bought this game for their kids, some are even younger than J.

Parents are not always agreeing with the ratings anyway and its a parental discretion so technically it is upto parents what kids play and dont play, not the rating symbol.

I dont know if all the hype has added extra suspension for children and worry that rating it an 18 just idolises it for kids and they get a copy one way or other, J has been exposed now, he goes on and on how his friends all have it.

JsMum

Edited by JsMum

Ive played this game and yes it is violent and if you play the "storyline" it does centre around violence and organised crime. For this reason they are 18 rated. Personally i prefer driving the cars and flying the planes/helicopters. You can get an apache helicopter and a harrier jump jet and go zooming round!!!

If its the cars that fascinate him, it will also be the "world" that the game plays in. Most car games are set on a track or in a city with the side streets blocked, so no ability to go other places. part of the appeal of the GTA games is the huge world that you can explore as you please.

In terms of violence I guess how it effects people is down to individuals. Obviously its an 18 game, so not suitable. if over 18 i would say that in some people violence in a game occassionally has no ill effect and can be a release. The problem with children playing such games expecially those with ASD's or other learning disabilities would focus on thier ability to seperate the game from reality. Many of these games are theoretically highly realistic except you get shot and get up again or you can get away with crimes you cant in real life and this could be dangerous.

To be honest some of the actions in the GTA games i certainly would NOT want a child doing. You can for example in the game, pick up a prostitute!!! The games "advice" websites then say you can kill said prostitute to get your money back!!!!!!! hardly examples you want a child to see or try for themselves even if its just a game!!!

J already has a huge difficulty seperating reality and fantasy, so I understand your point, the thing is I like to discuss openenly with J why he enjoys the game and it is the same points you have described, its a whole new world is what he said, and its brilliant is how he ended the sentences.

Could there be rules or boundries then, say short time playing it and no killing Ps, sX and the bad stuff, could he enjoy the good points of the game.

As an over 18 do you like GTAs?

JsMum

Js`mum my 19 yr old NT has it, no way would I let my 12yr old on it, maybe 16, but not 12, its IS violent. Enid

Has ds2 ever played his brothers GTA though, maybe with out you knowing it?

JsMum

Could there be rules or boundries then, say short time playing it and no killing Ps, sX and the bad stuff, could he enjoy the good points of the game.

Erm i guess so. as long as you are happy he can cope with the game then there isnt a problem. The 18 rating is a blanket rule meant to cover most situations. Luckily there is nothing "on show" in the prostitution, you just see the car bouncing and a few, erm "wierd" noises from the woman :unsure: . The violence depends on how he in your opinion views its context. there are quite a few under 18 games with killing in.

As an over 18 do you like GTAs?

JsMum

I do enjoy the game as from my adult perspective a lot of the violence (being British) is a RIP off, of american stereotype 80s drug scene and american stereotype "black gansta rap" which makes some of the storyline a little bit comical.

Also having been in the Forces i find some of the non realistic shooting stuff bits comical.

There are some no-violent games within GTA such as tell him to get in a taxi/ fire engine/ ambulance and you can do thier own taxi or rescue missions. Just dont tell him to nick a police car as the mission in them is a vigilante killing spree :lol: :lol:

This is a very intersesting discussion , and one that leaves me a little uncomfortable :unsure: My son is 13 and loves to play GTA on the x-box.He acquired the game from his uncle who is totally obsessed with games :whistle: .I was,nt happy at all when I discovered this, and when I discovered the content of the game,it was then banned and given back.However just recently the game has re-surfaced :wallbash: , which again I was,nt happy about.We had a serious talk about it and he has absolutely no interest in the violence the storyline or anything.What he likes about this game is as everyone else has mentioned driving the vehicles etc.He is obsessed with getting to some island or other and flying the helicopter , thats all he does.Well I took myself down to the local shop that sells these games and asked about similar games that allow you to drive vehicles etc.He had 3 of these games bought for his birthday all with a 12 rating.However it appears none have the same type of driving type stuff as GTA.I,ve put GTA away for a bit , if he does play it he has to have the volume down as the language is horrendous :angry: , I must say the violence in it has had no affect on him its the vehicles cars and stuff he likes to drive that he enjoys.Even when your over 18 I still think these games are dreadful and I can,t understand why anyone would want to play them :unsure: , infact I,m just off now to find the game and hide it , I don,t like it at all :shame: , ............suzex.......

Just asked Auriel (19) about this game, and he did say he wouldn't let 'little kids' play it.

For myself, I certainly wouldn't be happy with the violence, language and prostitution :o:(

I suppose we were lucky in that when he was the ages of your lads he didn't have access to any games consoles because we just said he couldn't have one (knew he would take over the TV) and we couldn't afford one anyway, and he was happy with his Warhammer (which obviously does involve battles, etc, but it's a tabletop role playing game. He loved collecting and painting the figures).

He was 15/16 by the time he wanted 18 computer games (they were more the 'campaign' type swords and sorcery ones) and I felt OK with that, but he didn't take them to residesi with him as they were firm about age ratings.

If it were me now, I would look for alternative games if it's the driving/flying thing your lads like, and I would say why I didn't like the game and explain it wasn't appropriate.

Edited by bid

Just asked Auriel (19) about this game, and he did say he wouldn't let 'little kids' play it.

J will reply he is not a little kid, his stature is of a teenager, his attitude is of a teenager and believe me he wouldnt except been described as a little kid!

I would be happy to know that resi dont except these games as that means all the children are treat the same, at the moment he gets upset with me because he is the only kid in his entire school who doesnt have it, at least at resi he wont be the only one there who doesnt have GTAs.

J did once have GTAs for Christmas but I removed them, I havent noticed any changes in his aggression since Ive found out he is playing again.

The 18 rule is silly really as well because any 18 year old can buy it but they could have the same difficulties as J throw developmental disorders.

I would rather J play the game at home with supervision and where I can monitor him as playing it behind my back he accesses parts I would ensure isnt played at home, I find with J the more I insist he can not have or do something the more he will try to do it.

Bid has your son played GTA before he was old enough, friends, borrowed ect..?

JsMum

He's out at the mo, but I'll ask him when he comes in.

I do remember that when he was younger there were various computer games he wanted but wasn't allowed, as my DH and his mates are 'gamers' and would recommend whether something was suitable or not.

One point worth bearing in mind I think is the fact that many professionals say that kids with AS are emotionally about a third younger than their chronological age...so although J may have the 'stature and attitude' of a teenager, emotionally he may be more around 8/9.

For myself, I certainly wouldn't be happy with ..................... and prostitution :o:(

in GTA San Andreas luckily this aspect is something you need to "know" exists and know how to access it. The slightly later game GTA Vice City STORIES actually has a whole large chunk of the game where you run a business and you have to choose between drug dealing, pimping or protection racketeering so beware of that GTA game!!

I can explain loads of things in the GTA series games if people need to know. I had to suffer a whole christmas 48 hour duty one year while the engineers on board were playing GTA Vice city no-stop on the wall projector.

My cousin likes this game also. He is 25.

The whole concept of this game is either,

1, freeplay. go around with a gun or whatever and beat ppl up in the street. Steal cars by pulling ppl out, wrecking things and keeping away from the police.

2, Completing tasks or levels in the game that include, murder, theft, prostitution, distruction ect!

My son is obsessed with star wars to the exclusion to all others so if J is anything like this it may not be something you want him to get obsessive about for obvious reasons. Another option would be to go into your local game or toys r us and try the demo for yourself.

Has ds2 ever played his brothers GTA though, maybe with out you knowing it?

JsMum

If he did I would go mad, My older son has the attic bedroom so no kids allowed! DS is not really into games, now the 6 yr old!!! thats another matter, But I would never knowingly allow one of mine to use it,I have no cotrol over the 19 year old! Enid

Ooooh this game is horrible.

A few years ago we were at a friend's house and their older son had this game and my kids played it for about half an hour (with us all watching them) and all they did was go round with the main character beating people up and killing them. I made them stop playing and would never ever let any of them have the game. However, I could see it would be totally addictive to some kids. I think the latest versions are even worse. It's not just shooting etc, they actually kill people with their bare hands. It's quite ugly.

Flora :)

have no cotrol over the 19 year old!

The thing is, I dont want J to get to 18 and then go mad on violent video games because he was protected from playing them at a younger age.

Enid Could you ask your DS2 how many kids in his class have played GTA and if they own the game would be interested in the reply.

JsMum

I feel really lucky that Jay is so innocent. He is 15 in November and bought himself Fish Tycoon for his Nintendo and is more than happy playing with that and his SpongeBob games on his Gameboy. As I say, I'm lucky that it isn't an issue for us, but if he did want to use this GTA game there is no way I would allow it. Call me old fashioned, but I just can't understand why people would think it acceptable for young boys to play games like this that glamorize going around killing and maiming and hurting people for the fun of it, I just don't understand it at all. Even if Jay were to beg me to get this game for him, I wouldn't allow violent trash like that in my house. Isn't there enough violence in this world without kids going round acting it out like it's one big game.

Sorry if that offends, but I think it's truly disgusting.

Well, that's me off out of here now.

~ Mel ~

Edited by oxgirl

OxGirl I value your opinion, and I hope this discussion does not get out of hand, I want it to remain a healthy debate,

The thing is there is research that violent video games help children vent thier anger in these Games, some boys I have talked to said its good you can do all these things and its only a game, no one does these in real life, and if they did it isnt because of these games, there is other factors going on in their lives is what they said.

The makers are english it has come from britain.

JsMum

Edited by JsMum

hi what a good topic

my 5 yr old loves games he has just finished indiana jones lego game, but he does get addicted to games he would love to play shooting games ect but we point out the age on the box and ask if he thinks he is old enough when he has studied it for a while he says no this is a mummy/daddy game and is happy with this. but at one point he was playing street fighter and boy did it send him wappy so this got accidently broken, he also had the billy and mandy game which is for his age and that sent him into total obsession so that one had to be sent away for repair opps it never came back what a shame,i think with game playing you have to take control on what you no they can handle, i have never played the game gta but it does sound a bit gruesome, i do feel for jsmum becasuse i no what G is like when he set his mind on something and like she says is he going to wont it even more because it has been bared from her home,

hope you find the answers.

theresa

A disgusting violent game. I thought The Immortal was bad enough back in 1992, but the producers of GTA are truly irresponsible people. Experience has confirmed that GTA is banned in Uzbekistan along with Hitman.

so this got accidently broken, .................................................................... so that one had to be sent away for repair opps it never came

:lol:

I love the use of "accidental" and "repairs" :lol:

Hi again j's mum...

At the risk of offending - which i really, honestly don't intend - I'm really at a loss to understand this thread, and in that context, the question in your opening post.

You've asked for peoples opinions on this game, with partcilular reference to whether it would be acceptable for your 11 year old son...

With only one exception, every person who has responded has said "no", including the adults on the forum (warren/auriel) who have played it, but every one of the points raised explaining that has been rejected. I'm really, really sorry, but i don't understand why you asked? :unsure:

To respond to some of the points you've made...

The 18 rule is silly really as well because any 18 year old can buy it but they could have the same difficulties as J throw developmental disorders.

No legislation can cover all eventualities, but that's not silly it's a fact of life. A 50 year old could act stupidly with a firework and blow their face off... that wouldn't be a reason for either lowering the age to allow children to buy fireworks or raising it so that only pensioners could - you just legislate for what seems to be appropriate in most cases.

the more I insist he can not have or do something the more he will try to do it.

I can think of 100's of things i wouldn't allow my son to do because he's not old enough (smoke, drink in a pub, have sex, drive a car/motorbike on the open road, watch an 18 rated movie, buy or access pornography, p[lay 18 rated video games...), but the fact that my banning them made them more attractive to him wouldn't be a reason for saying 'oh well, you can then'.

The thing is, I dont want J to get to 18 and then go mad on violent video games because he was protected from playing them at a younger age.

TBH, I think whatever happens for J that he is much more likely to be able to view/play material of this nature 'in context' when he is 18 than he can at 11... if he does fall into the category you've mentioned above (an 18 year old who has the same difficulties as an 11 year old because of developmental disorders), then accessing the material at 11 won't help the situation, and in fact the imperative then would seem to be to stop him accessing it if possible on the grounds that he isn't emotionally 'ready' regardless of the fact that he's 18.

the thing is I like to discuss openenly with J why he enjoys the game and it is the same points you have described, its a whole new world is what he said, and its brilliant is how he ended the sentences.

With the best will in the world, even the most open/honest 11year old is unlikely to say 'well actually, mum, my favourite bit is where you brutally and graphically murder the prostitute you've kidnapped and steal the money she hasn't yet handed over to her pimp'. I guess many adults would shy away from explaining this to their wives/girlfriends... one thing that's for sure, though, that element isn't there because the gamers don't like it...

Please accept i'm not 'judging', you (or anyone else), or anything like that... I'm just responding to your posts with my views. I just think of other stuff that you have to be 18 years old to view/access (some of which I've mentioned above) and ask myself would i want my 11 year old viewing accessing those things, and the answer is no. In reality, I can't be 100% certain about protecting my son from those things, because there are always going to be 'mates' who've got them or can obtain them and I can't be there looking over his shoulder 100% of the time... What I can do, though, is apply those sanctions in my own home/environment to the best of my ability.

Bid has your son played GTA before he was old enough, friends, borrowed ect..?

Been thinking about this question...

Until I ask him, I don't know, but for me the point is what happens within our family/home.

Before he was 18 he may have had a drink or a ciggie at someone else's house, I just don't know...but we would never have given him either at home.

Now he's 19, he has a pint when we go for a pub lunch, and DH buys him the odd bottle of beer when he helps in the garden or whatever. I know he smokes :shame: but he has been told he can't do so at home, even in his room, and he has respected this rule.

So I feel that regardless of what they may do at a friend's house, what matters are the boundaries and messages they get within their family...and for us that included banning certain computer games.

:lol:

I love the use of "accidental" and "repairs" :lol:

hi warren

i have learnt fast with G if i just refuse he will just go on and on and on and on you get the picture :lol: but for some reason he accepts this and yes he has been asking when billy and mandy will be coming back for the last 8 mths so the repair dose not work as well as accidental o well im sure i can think of more reason if needed :lol: by the i think your kitchen looks great good job i wish i was as organised and i love the tiles :)

theresa

Enid Could you ask your DS2 how many kids in his class have played GTA and if they own the game would be interested in the reply.

JsMum

Will do, he is back on Wednesday, please bear in mind, he goes to an EBD school, an if you saw some of the parents........ Enid

I think alot of games , wether GTA or not can be incredibly addictive for kids on the spectrum.I know alot of my friends who have autistic kids struggle with their obsessive tendencies towards playing games, wether its Halo, GTA, or anything else.My brother in law has a room devoted to gaming and spends most of his free time on his x-box.I don,t know what it is but I think some kids are really drawn to the violence etc in the games.I don,t know clinically what it means, perhaps they like the fact that a confrontation for example has a conclusion, and it being quite graphic it is easier to understand.Its a difficult thing to deal with if your kids are totally obsessed by it.

i think your kitchen looks great good job i wish i was as organised and i love the tiles :)

theresa

I like your alternative solution to battling with your child. He cant really fault that one!! the reverse psychology is quite clever :lol:

Thanks on th kitchen. I didnt build kitchen just filled cupboards, put up shelves and labels.

Hey JsMum,

have just read this post and have got to say that I will not allow this game in my house. On a personal level, I don't mind it that much (it IS fun to access all the different vehicles and explore the worlds) but it bores me after a while. I know that if say, my partner bought it for himself though, we'd have a devil of a time keeping it out of Cal's clutches- and he's just not ready to become aware of things like prostitution, gang warfare and all that. Don't get me wrong, he knows that things like drugs exist, but I really don't want him to know of the levels to which people can stoop when they're involved in this scene for real- and some of the scenes in these games portray this really quite accurately.

The thing is, it IS fun to play the missions, but they're quite realistic, both in visual content and the motives too..... I am a (reasonably! ;) ) well adjusted adult, I KNOW on every level that this is 'play' and that I will never commit such atrocities in reality.

My son, who will soon be 11, might THINK he possesses this same knowledge, but I'm not so sure it's deep set. And he's a bit of a wee innocent- he still laughs himself giddy at fart jokes and silly pun jokes, like a 7 year old would.....so bearing this in mind, I will not allow him to play these games.

In fact, I discovered his dad was allowing him to play GTA and Driver (I think its called Driver, anyway!) which was not dissimilar- nasty missions and no ethics/morality etc... It is the one and only time that I've went truly nuclear in the aftermath of our splitting, and I insisted they be binned pronto- his Dad had no idea of the content (HOW???? :huh: )

I am a bit more tolerant of games where its definite fantasy-

:star:

Star Wars, for instance- there are no clone troopers, light sabers/blasters, jedi etc in reality, Cal KNOWS this intrinsically and fully comprehends that this is just a game. But where games involve people, situations that actually occur in life, weapons that are available widely (alright, not guns in the UK, but knives, bats, chains...)....I'm just not comfortable with it.

Put it this way, would you let your child sit and watch a documentary on gang warfare in New York? Or drug dealers? Because honestly, some of the 18 games are just as realistic, gory, violent, devoid of morality (and so on!) as the real McCoy.

I hasten to add, this is a personal view, I understand what you've said and see your viewpoint too.....in fact, I often worry that I'm sheltering Cal a little too much, but he's not the same as his contemporaries and is much more vulnerable.......

Have you given it a go yourself? I think thats often the only way to really make up your own mind about censorship in the home.

Actually, I remember asking for Robocop :robot: when I was 7 or 8, and my folks bought it for me to be given on Xmas day- Oh, joy unbridled!! :groupwave:

How cool would I be- I could just see myself, swaggering as I included THAT in my monologue of 'Gifts wot I got' after the holidays!! B)

Now, I knew it was a 15(I think??) but my folks did not, and ratings were a new breed at that point so I fort I'd gort away wiv it, guv'nor!

Alas, my older cousins heard of the intended pressie and hastily rushed (en masse!!!) to inform my clueless folks about how unsuitable it was....the result was, I got some lame-o disney muck-muck, and my tattling cousins got MY video! (They gave it back on my 16th birthday!! :lol: )

Its a tough old job, this parenting malarkey, hey??

Esther X

Edited by pookie170

I'm really at a loss to understand this thread, and in that context, the question in your opening post.

Weather other play GTA here, and if they do what effects has it had on their behaviour.

Sad truth is children are playing this game, many children are accessing this game behind parents back, or with parental concent but bottom line is that children are playing GTA, its sold billions of copies and I wonder how many children are playing it and how if effects children and especially those with ADHD/ODD/ASDs.

My son is a thrill seeker, other games have not atracted his attention as much as GTA has, and I wonder if some of that maybe to do with his Developmental Disorders, the games require great brain skill, J has a high ability at computer games, he is extreamly confident that its really only the more violent games are requested, he likes fantasy games, and he gets a lot of fun out of playing games, I have researched especially computer games on ADHD and for some it feeds the brain that otherwise lays dorment.

I know that there will be a lot of kids out there playing this game, many with ADHD and AS and wonder if the consequences are even more serious for children with ADHD/ODD/ASDs, I wonder if kids like mine are drawn to these violent games?

As the question of not allowing children to smoke and drink, I dont do either, yet he has tried a fag in the school toilets, he has drunk my champiane sneakily at new year, and its mostly out of curiosity but his desire to play GTA is a much higher desire.

I struggle sometimes been a parent, its soo hard at times and I dont know if I do the right thing at times, i sort of was trying the waters here to see if other parents let them play GTAs and I value their honesty and wouldnt judge a parent who would or wouldnt let their child play GTA I was more of the point of asking what it does to their ADHD/ASD child and if it has a much more of effect on them because of there difficulties.

J has emotional and behavioural difficulties and I do worry about his future because he idolises issues that are in GTA.

I hope I have answered the question of what was the point of this post.

JsMum

Edited by JsMum

If you have genuine concerns about the effect such a game might have on J, why don't you just tell him he can't play this particular game until he is 18? You're the parent who knows what is most appropriate, and he is still only a 12 year old child who doesn't have the maturity or knowledge to make such decisions.

If you have genuine concerns about the effect such a game might have on J, why don't you just tell him he can't play this particular game until he is 18? You're the parent who knows what is most appropriate, and he is still only a 12 year old child who doesn't have the maturity or knowledge to make such decisions.

I have already said this about GTAs in the past and recently and he then did it behind my back, or just played on his freinds GTAs.

He had a similair fasination with fire and the way we have delt with it is by educating him about the dangers and letting him experiment with fire under supervision, and in context of Survival, Camp fires, ect....he also went on a course to learn the consequences and as long as he can make campfires and play with it he hasnt made fires in dangerous places, I sort of was thinking if he plays GTAs at home At least it was monitored and supervised and it wouldnt be such a big issue as it has become now, as I feel the more I say he cant have it, the more likely J will obtain this without my knowledge, as I am SURE he will play it one way or other.

GTAs are now downloadable on PC, and I dont think it will be long for it to be accessable on mobilephones, and other consoles parents wont be able to intervene.

JsMum

Edited by JsMum

I have already said this about GTAs in the past and recently and he then did it behind my back, or just played on his freinds GTAs.

He had a similair fasination with fire and the way we have delt with it is by educating him about the dangers and letting him experiment with fire under supervision, and in context of Survival, Camp fires, ect....he also went on a course to learn the consequences and as long as he can make campfires and play with it he hasnt made fires in dangerous places, I sort of was thinking if he plays GTAs at home At least it was monitored and supervised and it wouldnt be such a big issue as it has become now, as I feel the more I say he cant have it, the more likely J will obtain this without my knowledge, as I am SURE he will play it one way or other.

GTAs are now downloadable on PC, and I dont think it will be long for it to be accessable on mobilephones, and other consoles parents wont be able to intervene.

JsMum

I understand where you are coming from with modifying obsessions by redirecting the interest to something similar but more acceptable, but surely sometimes we just have to say 'No', and that's it for the child.

I'm sure J will want to continue to play this game (that's the nature of an obsession after all), but if his current obsession was with porn sites, for example, you would just say 'No' full stop, no discussion.

Has any ones children here play or have played this game? J is totally obsessed about this game, he managed to get a copy from a boy and has played it when he goes to friends houses, he said to me that all his mates have it, is anyone else going throw the stress of this game, and is it as bad as everyone is saying, could it cause Js aggression to increase and what is the dangers of playing violent video games for children with ADHD and HFA.

JsMum

i had to ban this game from my son as it make him more violent and he too was addicted to it i made him put it in the bin

mmm He hasnt raped anyone but has committed serious sexual assault.

Plus his first attack was when he was 17 which is too young to play those games anyway.

Not to mention the fact that for a teenager to want to commit such crimes means theres seriously something wrong with him mentally far beyond what a computer game can cause.

Typical media sensationalism again I'm afraid to say!!

In the GTA games you can beat up ANY people within the game, be it prostitutes or not, so i dont think thats a valid comment by the Sun.

mmm He hasnt raped anyone but has committed serious sexual assault.

Plus his first attack was when he was 17 which is too young to play those games anyway.

Not to mention the fact that for a teenager to want to commit such crimes means theres seriously something wrong with him mentally far beyond what a computer game can cause.

Typical media sensationalism again I'm afraid to say!!

In the GTA games you can beat up ANY people within the game, be it prostitutes or not, so i dont think thats a valid comment by the Sun.

Wow warren - you're really fighting GTA's corner there, ol' son, but i think you're on a hiding to nowt with those arguments, particularly the second one, given the nature of this thread :blink: